• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Highest, most stable overclock on 4770K so far?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eek142

Registered
Assuming the cooling system is overkill and can keep temperatures below 70C no matter the voltage, what is the highest clock speed someone could hit on Haswell while still being completely 24/7 stable on IBT? Does anyone have a 5.0 GHz stable system on water?

On water 5.0 is really tough with the 4770k's you would need a very very good chip. I have had mine up to 5250 on -6c water and it's no where near 24/7 stable. I run mine at 4.4 @ 1.23 cpu v 24/7 because even with a 360 Thermochill PA 120.3 radiator and cooling the chip only. I can't keep my temps even below 90c above 4.4 using prime blend 2 hours as my stability test. From comparing my chip to others I know on this forum, I do have a high leakage chip and it runs really hot.

Did they fix the IHS issue with Haswell? I find it really hard to believe you have such bad temps at 4.4 GHz.

What is the max vcore people recommend on this chip? For sandy, I assumed it was 1.4V. Is it 1.35 or 1.3 for Haswell?

1.25-1.3 is generally plenty any more than that you are likely overheating. I stopped around 1.15-1.2

Best that I saw could make 5GHz ~1.35V. It's about max it will make on water but good luck getting chip like that. 90% haswells won't run stable @4.7GHz+ on air/water with reasonable temps.
Some of them have weird clock walls .. when you have to set much higher voltage to pass next cpu ratio. Think that your CPU can make 4.5GHz 1.2V but for 4.7GHz it needs 1.4 and won't even boot at 5GHz regardless of used voltage or cooling ... some are like that while other will scale much higher without bumping voltage.

@eek142 , there was no issue with IHS, people were replacing TIM to lower temps but it doesn't mean it was so big issue. Many IB were running about the same before and after delidding. Even if temps were lower then general overclocking wasn't much better.
Issues with IHS placing can be when under load your CPU has difference between cores above ~10*C. Most chips from every generation have about 5-7*C difference. If there is too high temp difference then you can make RMA.

Max reasonable voltage seem the same for all Core series and it's about 1.35V. Intel will tell you it's even lower but they were clearly not performing long tests on their chips.
SB were randomly degrading above 1.4V. Some are still working without issues but some were dying after couple of months on 1.45V.
IB are much more resistant to degradation but I wouldn't recommend more than 1.35V 24/7. The same with haswells.

Last edited:
4.4 stable 24/7 for me and happy with it not to mention i can still go up if i know what im doing but i dont :)

4.5 messed up my bios

Back