• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it legal to sell used PC games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I have a lot of physical copies of PC games that I'm never going to play again. Is it legal for me to sell them on the internet just like Xbox games?

Thanks.

I have a lot of physical copies of PC games that I'm never going to play again. Is it legal for me to sell them on the internet just like Xbox games?

Thanks.

Like on craigslist or kijiji?
I see no issues, you paid for them, and they are legit right?

I'd be ticked off if it turns out to be illegal to re-sell them TBH.

If the game has a product key that has to be verified online you can't resell it.

Any game that requires steam, origin, uplay or anything like that is a no go. Once it's linked to your account it's stuck there and selling the account is against t.o.s.

I just cant believe we have come to a time where there is no real ownership and DRM and clod computing is what allowed all this to happen for the PC.:mad:

Last edited:
/shrug it honestly doesn't bother me all that much. We were incredibly close to that being the standard for this new console generation as well. I would take the convenience and benefits of Steam over having to keep track of install media and DVD keys.

I would take the convenience and benefits of Steam over having to keep track of install media and DVD keys.

Benefits like instant (assuming decent internet) delivery, and massive sales at deep discounts.

I'll keep Steam over DVDs as well.

What? No thread lock? No "Welcome Back Team Rainless"...?

Sigh... The SADNESS!

Anyway!

Throughout most of Europe even Gamestop (and the big European chain Game) sell used games right at the store. As everyone has mentioned they can't sell it if it's Steam or Origin-based... but everything else works fine. Even games that have to be verified online that aren't Steam or Origin-based (you just deactivate the previous activation and activate it on your system.)

Personally I don't bother with this anymore because, after moving between a dozen countries in the past dozen years, I got sick of losing a game in France... losing a game in Chicago, losing a game in Spain...

Now I just completed the process of rebuying all my lost games on Steam. So now it doesn't matter where I move or what happens to my hard drive, or anything like that. I can just download the games again.

To me that's worth more than the resell value of a PC game (which was always a TENTH of the value of a console game anyway.)

The day you can't get a good price for console games... I'll probably stop buying them. (Technically I've already stopped buying them... I have every fighting game of the last generation and now all my money goes to Steam sales and photography equipment.)

But I'm a lot more worried about what's going to happen with our MONEY in the next ten years than I am about the right to sell used games. (That ship has kind-of already sailed...)

(Kind-of a long rant there... I don't get to visit much these days. So consider that a month's worth of rainless.)

What? No thread lock? No "Welcome Back Team Rainless"...?

Sigh... The SADNESS!

Anyway!

Throughout most of Europe even Gamestop (and the big European chain Game) sell used games right at the store. As everyone has mentioned they can't sell it if it's Steam or Origin-based... but everything else works fine. Even games that have to be verified online that aren't Steam or Origin-based (you just deactivate the previous activation and activate it on your system.)

Personally I don't bother with this anymore because, after moving between a dozen countries in the past dozen years, I got sick of losing a game in France... losing a game in Chicago, losing a game in Spain...

Now I just completed the process of rebuying all my lost games on Steam. So now it doesn't matter where I move or what happens to my hard drive, or anything like that. I can just download the games again.

To me that's worth more than the resell value of a PC game (which was always a TENTH of the value of a console game anyway.)

The day you can't get a good price for console games... I'll probably stop buying them. (Technically I've already stopped buying them... I have every fighting game of the last generation and now all my money goes to Steam sales and photography equipment.)

But I'm a lot more worried about what's going to happen with our MONEY in the next ten years than I am about the right to sell used games. (That ship has kind-of already sailed...)

(Kind-of a long rant there... I don't get to visit much these days. So consider that a month's worth of rainless.)

Hey man! Haven't seen you around the forums in a while. Welcome back!

I just come across this post and I have to ask. I just bought a copy used on ebay. Need for speed hot persuit 2010 limited edition. That mean I have to return it?? If so, I need to contact the seller. I already have a copy of it when I bought it new while back any way.

I'd look up what it activates to, or if it does. If it doesn't get added to steam/etc and is just stand-alone I can't imagine there being an issue.

Hey man! Haven't seen you around the forums in a while. Welcome back!

My system got ripped off from one of those housing rental deals... so I'm technically no longer an overclocker. It's all about photography and my i7 laptop now...

Yeah I know... sad...

I'm thinking about starting a Gofundme project so that I can get back up and running again. It took me YEARS to build that setup (with the water cooling... the Q9550... MY BEAUTIFUL CORSAIR POWER 750 WATT POWER SUPPLY... etc... etc...)

Now it's just GONE.

Oh well... Might've slowed me down... but it hasn't stopped me.

Back