• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need case suggestions with support for 280mm radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I thought I was sure on the case I would use with my next build. I was planning to go with a Cooler Master HAF X, since I bought one like a year ago in preparation for my next build, but now I'm not so sure. I was thinking of using my recently acquired CM Nepton 280L for cooling, but now I've realized that the HAF X can't fit a 280mm radiator, so that's a serious problem. Many new cases have come on the market since I started my search for a HAF X, and some of them are no doubt better in some ways. I also thought about using the Nepton 280L in my CM 690 II Advanced, but even though it has support for 2x140mm fans at the top, I couldn't get the radiator inside the case (annoyingly). So, it seems I'm going to have to buy a new case if I want to use this liquid cooler with some kind of a system and have it mounted securely.

So, my main requirements for a case are that it must be able to fit a 280mm radiator, and I'd prefer one that has two front intake fans (2x120mm or 2x140mm). That second requirement is just because I've ended up mounting a second fan in the unused 5.25" bays in all of my recent cases, due to not getting enough cool air near the CPU socket with stock configurations (blocked by video cards and/or drive cages usually) with a single front intake fan. If I can find a case that has a second front intake fan already installed (or support for one) I can forgo having to zip-tie one into the 5.25" bays.

I'm currently looking at the Corsair 650D and 750D, probably leaning towards the 750D because it looks like it would probably be easier to build a system in. Also, the 750D is cheaper than the 650D or 550D (weirdly, considering it is a higher end model).

Oh and a LOT of NZXT's cases have support for their 280mm AIO's.

I'm trying to choose a new case and am wondering if there's anything I'm overlooking here.

This is my list of cases I'm considering at the moment:

Corsair 450D: 240mm/280mm/360mm in top (push or pull only), 280mm in front (possibly a 240mm) (if drive cages are removed), 240mm in bottom (if drive cages are removed) $119.99
Corsair 650D: 240mm/280mm in top (push-pull may be possible, but is hardware dependent) $139.99
Corsair 750D: 240mm/280mm/360mm in top (push-pull), 240mm/280mm in front (push-pull) (if drive cages are removed), 240mm in bottom (push-pull) (if drive cages are removed) $149.99 normally ($124.99 on sale, $99.99 after rebate)
Corsair 750D Airflow Edition: 240mm/280mm/360mm in top (push-pull), 240mm/280mm in front (push-pull) (if drive cages are removed), 240mm in bottom (push-pull) (if drive cages are removed) $159.99 normally ($124.99 on sale, $99.99 after rebate)
Corsair 500R: 240mm/280mm in top (normally push or pull only, push-pull may be possible with some hardware if pull fans are mounted on top of case, but may require modifications to the case (below outer cover)), 240mm in front (push-pull) (provided all drive cages are removed) , fans can be mounted on drive cages $89.99-99.99 ($69.99 on sale)
Corsair C70: 240mm/280mm in top (push or pull only, unless fans are mounted outside of the case), 240mm/280mm in bottom (push-pull) (if drive cages are removed), 240mm in front (maybe), fans can be mounted on drive cages $109.99-129.99

For quite some time I was thinking of going with the 750D, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I'd be paying extra money for a more expensive case when I might be able to get what I want and need in a less expensive one.

I prefer mid-tower or full tower cases. Ultra/Super tower cases might be a bit too big for me, and too expensive.

Need a case that has support for at least one 240mm or 280mm radiator (120.2/140.2) for CPU cooling. Other needs are listed somewhere in the first post. Need at least 1x 5.25" bay for an Optical Disk drive, but 3-4 bays are preferable so that I can mount a fan in the unused bays if necessary for improving cooling. And it must be able to fit/mount at least 1 SSD and 1-2 HDD's. Would be nice if I could mount a radiator with the fans in push-pull configuration (with the pull fans either inside the case or outside the case, though inside is preferable if possible, as it makes for a cleaner setup). Beyond that, I guess I don't have that many other requirements for a case. At least, not many others I can think of at the moment.

Would be nice if case could accept mounting fans to the drive cages if possible, to boost airflow to the GPU(s), but that's not a necessity. This isn't a feature that is well advertised by manufacturers, so it's difficult to tell which cases can accommodate this without having owned or built systems in the cases myself.

Last edited:
Definitely seems like an Air 540 would be a good fit for you.
Choose from Black, Silver, or White. That deal Lochekey mentioned is a really good one!

Well, it seems the 750D Airflow Edition is on sale at newegg right now, so that changes things a bit.

Regularly it's $160, but right now it's $130. So, that puts it pretty close to the price of the 450D, and not that far off from the price of the C70 (109.99-129.99 (Military Green at the high end))

Last edited:
I like that Airflow edition, but it still needs some dust filters.

Those are all great choices, but don't rule out the phanteks pro and luxe. You can save some cash and still hit all your needs and wants with room to spare.

Actually, there's still a filter attached to the inside of the front intake panel.

Looked like it had a gap around that front panel though, I know it does on the normal version.
Would be something to double check before buying.

Back