• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case scratch repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doox00

I am rebuilding one of my PC's and wanted to do a build in an Inwin 925 case. I could not find one in the US but Singularity in Australia said they could get me one and ship it (also bought distro plates from them for the 925). I received the case and while doing the build and custom rigid water loop my dumb *** scratched the front of the case with a drill bit. I picked up the drill to drill a small hole I needed in the case and rubbed the bit along the front of the case, needless to say I am very sad and annoyed about it. My question is does anyone know of a way to repair it, at least make it so it is not so obvious? Any tips would be appreciated!

PXL_20230406_052443287.jpg

Second the idea of a rough pad, maybe some steel wool. Small strokes in the direction of the existing brushing.

Depending on how deep it is, try some metal polish as well, but may "blur" the existing brushing.

I am afraid using a scotch pad will just scratch the whole area and really make it stand out. It is scratched down to the metal too, going to see if I can find something to try to fill in the scratch to help make it not so obvious. Maybe a crayon or something lol. Ugh, I am so mad at myself.. such an idiot! :)

Does the metal have any coating on it?

You could always check with a local car shop/dealer, see if they have any clearcoat repair kits.

Actually just got this tip from a local detailer, for scratch repair it's better to use the end of a straightened paper clip or a pen than the brushes that come with them.

Does the metal have any coating on it?

You could always check with a local car shop/dealer, see if they have any clearcoat repair kits.

Actually just got this tip from a local detailer, for scratch repair it's better to use the end of a straightened paper clip or a pen than the brushes that come with them.

I don't know if there is a coating but the scratch appears to be down to the bare metal.

Kind of hard to tell from the picture but that's one of the few things I can think of. Outside of trying to "blur" it, next best thing would be to "mask" it.

With it being bare brushed aluminum, simple touch up paint is out, unless there's a company that does a really good metallic gray.

I don't know of any good polishes that'll make it invisible.

Well once I am done with the build/loop I will look into it more and see if there is a decent way to fill it or something to make it less obvious, at least from a distance.

Maybe disguise the scratch by covering it with some kind of vinyl decal...
Sounds like the plan. Anything you do with a pad or steel wool will make it standout more. You don't have to add some over the top decal, just some accent lines maybe.

There has to be any number of videos on youtube that show how to get those brush marks into steel/aluminum/etc. I would guess that there is a clear coat so you might get lucky with just a good polish of the clear coat.

Back