• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
UGH. My W10E is still restarting about every ~24 hours. Solved the NDIS/e1express issues by changing my NIC to a VMXnet3. Surprisingly, VMware is lacking support for the E1000E and appear to be pushing their clients to using VMXnet.

Very surprising tho, because I have none of these issues with Win 8/8.1/2012 R2 VMs. I'll circle back and change the NIC on my W10P to see if the reboot is across versions.

SYSLOG - Kernel-Power said:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The last SYSLOG before the crash =
SYSLOG - GroupPolicy said:
The Group Policy settings for the user were processed successfully. There were no changes detected since the last successful processing of Group Policy.

The last APPLOG before the crash =
APPLOG - SecuritySPP said:
The Software Protection service has stopped.

I can confirm that Windows 10 crashes after about 45 minutes to maybe 2 hours on socket 775 with a nforce chipset. My Asus P5N-D and a Core 2 Quad which ran like a dream with Windows 8.1 Pro is unacceptably unstable on Windows 10 Pro.

Windows 10 runs very well on the X99 platform. I guess they haven't put much testing into the older hardware. It irritates me that it artificially forced my hand to upgrade hardware. I was going to anyways but a poor first impression in my opinion.

Hmm.. I wonder why... I wonder of that goes for the P45 chipset as well... it may not just be the Nforce chipset.

Hmm.. I wonder why... I wonder of that goes for the P45 chipset as well... it may not just be the Nforce chipset.
I honestly don't know. The worst of it was that while it was running Windows 10 it was responsive and perfectly fine. It just kept bluescreening or hard locking. I rolled it back to Windows 8.1 and the machine stopped locking up.

Update:
I was using a MSDN copy of Windows 10 Pro which is the same license running on my X99 machine right now. My Windows 8.1 Pro license is a retail license. When the machine was running windows 10 it was a clean install not a upgrade.

Id imagine its a driver issue... Are there drivers for W10 for that board?

NVidia no longer supports the nForce chipset. There are no new drivers. The drivers that worked on Windows 8.1 worked just fine. I haven't read anything about Windows 10 changing out the driver format again like they did in Windows Vista but they broke something. NVidia isn't going to fix it and at this point I think Microsoft isn't going to fix it so Windows 8.1 is EOL for the nForce chipset. I guess 8 years was a very good run.

How do I add categories to the Windows 10 Start Menu for "metro" apps? I noticed the upgrade removed my categories from 8.1. Thanks.

Edit: nevermind I figured it out. You have to arrange items into a new group and then it will let you name them.
If someone wants to do this, drag the icon down so there is a gap, put your mouse over the gap, and click to give it a name.

5xCaxvS.png

Just did a fresh from scratch install of Windows 10 a couple of days ago and am using the latest version of Firefox, version 40.

Still have this problem when using FF that the connection to some web sites is dropped when the computer sits idle for awhile. When multiple tabs are open and I log back into the machine one or more tabs show a severed connection and displays an error message about not being able to connect to the server.

Anybody else getting this?

Just did a fresh from scratch install of Windows 10 a couple of days ago and am using the latest version of Firefox, version 40.

Still have this problem when using FF that the connection to some web sites is dropped when the computer sits idle for awhile. When multiple tabs are open and I log back into the machine one or more tabs show a severed connection and displays an error message about not being able to connect to the server.

Anybody else getting this?

I had that issue in Windows 7, was the whole reason I switched to Chrome.

I had that issue in Windows 7, was the whole reason I switched to Chrome.

I'm trying out Opera. I've been using it on my laptop for a couple months and haven't had any problems with it and it seems faster than either FF or Chrome. I'm going to try it on my desktop now.

I had not used Opera in some years myself up until recently. Years ago I never liked the interface but now it's very user friendly once you figure out where things are.

I've been using and supporting Windows for a long time, and have never heard of or read an issue with the order of the network cards. Why is this feature important?

In my experience, it was either legacy application related and/or benefited AppleTalk/Netware environments where these were your primary infrastructure. I remember the days of XP performance being impacted by bindings, but at the moment cannot think of anything else.

EDIT

Multiple NIC cards you would prevent traffic from being spanned, for example a NIC device being used for solely cluster comms traffic as an example, or possibly a multihomed config where this may provide a benefit. (looks like MS thought of this based on the powershell / netsh availability/options)

i've been having an issue where windows update wakes up my computer from sleep. i generally sleep my computer rarely shutting it down, but ever since windows 10, i'll get up in the moring to my computer being on for idk how long.

This really irritates me and i've been forced to shut my computer down completely now.

I've run into the same thing. I think by default installs happen at 3am. I need to change up my power options to go to sleep after a few hours.

Back