• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Discussion Thread and Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's a screeny. I had seen the page one list of upgrade options as you mentioned Thiddy, that was part of what prompted my attempt. Nothing obvious about Enterprise from what I see. Wow, this netbook is slow.:eh?:

win7 starter.png

That's weird about Win7 Starter. Unless you are hitting a KMS or have a MAK it wouldn't be functional.

so i tried installing windows 10 in a couple different VM's now, one was an upgrade from windows 7, and one was an upgrade from windows 8.1, and when i use a keyfinder to check out the product key, both of them give me the exact same product key....
kinda wonder if they are just giving everyone the same product key, or if it is ignoring the fact that im installing it in a vm, and just reading my computer's hardware specs, and giving both copies the same cd key...

so i tried installing windows 10 in a couple different VM's now, one was an upgrade from windows 7, and one was an upgrade from windows 8.1, and when i use a keyfinder to check out the product key, both of them give me the exact same product key....
kinda wonder if they are just giving everyone the same product key, or if it is ignoring the fact that im installing it in a vm, and just reading my computer's hardware specs, and giving both copies the same cd key...
It is more likely the key reader you are using isn't functioning right, or they aren't storing the key on the system anymore. Virtual machines don't pass in the (entirety) of the host's information.

I've seen a lot of key finders come back with one of the generic install keys. I have yet to find one I really trust to get the actual keys of installed software.

I've seen a lot of key finders come back with one of the generic install keys. I have yet to find one I really trust to get the actual keys of installed software.

when i google the first few digits of the key it gives me, nothing pops up on google.

Lot of people are reporting printing problems with Edge. "Print" is grayed out for me. I can bring up a printer pick menu with Ctrl,P and print but get only blank pages.

Windows 10 is still pretty rocky here.

First off, it is not activating. I upgraded in place on the factory spinning rust drive from the factory install of Win7. After running a week or so without activation nags, I thought it would have been activated. Next I put an SSD in and did a fresh install from DVD. (In between I installed Mint 17. That took 20 minutes. But SWMBO has to run a command line app to import data from her Garmin forerunner so I really thought that Win10 would suit her better.)

I just tried to install the Garmin S/W. The install asked for some version of .Net so I clicked yes. The progress bar progressed to about 90% complete and stuck. After half an hour it was obviously not going anywhere. I tried to kill it and that didn't work either. In retrospect I should have used task manager to try a little harder. Instead I thought the smart thing to do would be to reboot. For about 20 minutes I've been watching "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer."

<sigh>

After a power cycle it is telling me "We couldn't complete the update. Now undoing your changes. Don't turn off your computer." At least this one finished.

And Garmin S/W still sucks.

And still not activated. Error code 0xC004C003. I tried activating using the key on the sticker on the back of the PC. Maybe that's the problem.

Edit: Put spinning rust back in and confirmed that it is activated. Put the SSD back in and it is not. The activation screen shows 8HVX7 as the last portion of the activation key. That doesn't match the key on the sticker on the laptop. :mad: I've added my account tied to the Microsoft login (I set up SWMBO with a local account.) Let's see if that makes a difference. ... Well, I cannot confirm that identity until Windows is activated.

SWMBO is OK with Mint. I'm real close to getting it to boot that.

Last edited:
I am having my own challenges with W10 Enterprise in the VM space and have confirmed these same errors exist on W10 Professional. My W10E box restarts every 3-4 days on it's own, I am ONLY running tcpview to watch MS's interaction with my machine. I see NO memory issues or reasons other than the network driver below as to why it is restarting on a whim. Still diagnosing..:comp:

I'm not moving to physical machines until I can determine the root cause of these issues =

SYS EVTLOG said:
Source=Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

SYS EVTLOG said:
Source=NDIS/e1iexpress
The network interface "Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.
Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.
This network interface has reset 9 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
Network link is disconnected.

I hope GPU updates will not be installed without my explicit permission. I'd prefer NVidia's update path over Microsoft's. Should I sit on this? I had to DDU my NV drivers last night as the screen started freezing during a gaming session.

win10gpu.png

PS: Garmin SW, a holdover from my Win 8.1, works for me (Garmin express for a Forerunner 620 GPS watch.) Also, printing works for me from a Surface 3 Pro. I'll check to see what's up with my secondary laptop.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like you can disable hardware driver updates, go to your system properties, hardware tab, device installation settings, and change to no, let me choose what to do and pick never install driver software from windows update.
foglnb.png.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like you can disable hardware driver updates, go to your system properties, hardware tab, device installation settings, and change to no, let me choose what to do and pick never install driver software from windows update.
foglnb.png.jpg

I checked and the option you posted is the default behavior. That screen can be accessed by Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings >Hardware > Device Installation settings

I checked and the option you posted is the default behavior. That screen can be accessed by Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings >Hardware > Device Installation settings

Mine was set to yes, but I did upgrade from 7 and I'm not sure if it was set to yes before upgrade.

Does anyone have that logitech keyboard bug? When you raise the volume on the keyboard, it makes the screen flicker while raising an lowering taking the screen out of focus.

If so, has anyone tried to install it's drivers to see if it works? I will when I have a moment. :)

Does anyone have that logitech keyboard bug? When you raise the volume on the keyboard, it makes the screen flicker while raising an lowering taking the screen out of focus.

If so, has anyone tried to install it's drivers to see if it works? I will when I have a moment. :)

The roller on my G710+ doesn't cause this.

It's weird... when you use the wheel, the screen flickers black with a small volume osd showing for each 'notch' up... did you install drivers for your keybkard?

It's weird... when you use the wheel, the screen flickers black with a small volume osd showing for each 'notch' up... did you install drivers for your keybkard?

The OSD came up, but no flickers.

I have the drivers installed, but it's the gaming software.

Back