• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Braiding Sleeved cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iRemainStanding

Registered
I'm hoping to sometime soon make some new cables for my computer. I just recently got the Corsair RM series 1000w psu. I know that sleevimg can come out looking really nice, but while I was randomly searching the Internet found this.

http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos/8strand1.htm

Has anyone seen someone braid their PSU cables like this? Contemplating trying out the narrow chevron style with black and white. I know that this would shorten the cables considerably, and would probably braid them before cutting and crimping the final end. I'm not too worried about mixing up the wires and losing track of them, it's pretty easy to test which is what.

I'm sure it's possible, but it wouldn't be easy. The wires are stiff enough that you risk breaking strands.

I have a bit of scrap wire and old paracord laying around, I'll try on a short length after work tomorrow. Getting this to work on the 24 pin might prove to be difficult though, as I'd like to keep them relatively flat. It might end up having to be three seperate bundles.

Definitely let us know how it turns out.
I'm interested to see if it's too stiff to route through the case's cable management holes once braided though.

I'll make sure to take some pictures and measure before and after lengths. I'm curious to see how much length is lost.

When I sleeved my cables I used over 150ft of paracord.

As far as braiding I put each bundle into a large braid (no pics I guess cant find them). So the VGA bundle was braided with 2 SATA bundles. It looked very nice and made management easy as well

looking at the link you supplied, this is probably going to shorten all of your cables by like 50%+

I'm not entirely sure on that, but from what I've read there is a small loss on every adapter. I'm going to be making the cables from scratch if I actually decide to use this method, so I'm not too worried about a loss of length.

I couldn't find a different color laying around, so silver it is. Only had 22 AWG cable laying around, so this isn't exactly the best judge of flexibility.

I started with eight cables sleeved end to end at 18" each. The start was the hardest, but after wrapping a few times it sorted itself out. When I got near the end, I tied it off using a zip tie.

DSC_0202.JPG

I built it straight the entire way, and then bent it twice to show a gradual turn on the left, and a sharp turn on the right. Sorry for the mediocre quality picture, my phone doesn't have the best camera :p From the start of the cable to the beginning of the braid is a 1/2" on both sides, and in between is 12-1/2" of braid. This comes out to 13-1/2" total. This means that the cable is 75% of the original length, though this may change when actually pinned or at different lengths (the beginning 1/2" is unlikely to change

I played with braiding my cables when i sleeved them but could not get the result to look good without stressing the wire. I did have some good results with weaving the wires of the 24 pin with extra paracord i will try to find some pics.

Well I was only able to find one but it at least shows the pattern. I will try to find one of the connections so you can see how I terminated the ends.

IMG_20151015_220133_edit.jpg

Last edited:
I played with braiding my cables when i sleeved them but could not get the result to look good without stressing the wire. I did have some good results with weaving the wires of the 24 pin with extra paracord i will try to find some pics.

Well I was only able to find one but it at least shows the pattern. I will try to find one of the connections so you can see how I terminated the ends.

View attachment 169921

For my tastes, that looks WAY better anyway :) Very cool dude!

If you decide to go that route let me know and i can give you a few tips on how i went about it. I never tried weaving any of the smaller cables to se how they would turn out. Maybe i will try one and post up my results in a few days.

The fellows at MercoMods have made a pretty cool looking cable, as shown below.

il_570xN.858102680_4fsz.jpg

Definitely worth looking into, they make a couple of other things like PSU covers and GPU backplates. These cables are absolutely beautiful!

Back