• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosetta team in the top 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

Hey guys, OC's Rosetta foldng team has moved into the top 10 this week and we could use your support.

Rosetta works great with CPU based machines, and
racks up some nice points in Rosetta. GPUs don't work with Rosetta.

My i7 970 gets about 7000 ppd and an older quad processor like the q6600 gets about 1500 ppd
pretty good considering guys in the top 20 are posting 80k ppd and top 100 are posting 20k ppd.
Note Rosetta uses an averaging system for points so it takes a few days to start getting your full points.

Rosetta also allows you to store WUs for up to 2 weeks so if Rosetta servers go down you can keep crunching at full
power without losing any points (kinda nice).

If you have a spare CPU or two kicking around, how about setting it up with BOINC and
picking team 32 Rosetta. Your contributions will be appreciated and help move us all even higher!!

Individual stats are here.

Attachments

• rosetta2.jpg
    rosetta2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I'll see what I can do once I get the office partially setup, just have to find the brackets to I can reassemble the rack to hold my desktop :bang head

Any idea on how this would work with FAH on GPU and Rosetta on CPU within the same machine? Since FAH doesn't get much from CPU, I'd be willing to convert some CPUs over.

Any idea on how this would work with FAH on GPU and Rosetta on CPU within the same machine? Since FAH doesn't get much from CPU, I'd be willing to convert some CPUs over.

I have never tried that, but thats a good idea because FAH CPU folding isn't very rewarding right now. I assume if you turn off CPU folding in FAH and then run Rosetta, they will work together since Rosetta can't use GPUs and FAH has been turned off CPUs.

I am going to try this myself this afternoon.

Both apps would have to have the same level of priority which I assume they both run at the lowest level possible.

Hmmm, don't forget FAH uses at least one CPU to service the GPU so there might be a conflict there. You can set Rosetta to use only 6 of 8 CPUs (or what ever your machine has, but save 2 CPUs for the GPUs), so that might fix it. Have to try it.

THanks for the interest.

Come to think of it, I did accidenatly run FAH CPU and Rosetta at the same time and they worked fine just gave me low results because both were working on the same CPUs.

I have never tried that, but thats a good idea because FAH CPU folding isn't very rewarding right now. I assume if you turn off CPU folding in FAH and then run Rosetta, they will work together since Rosetta can't use GPUs and FAH has been turned off CPUs.

I am going to try this myself this afternoon.

Both apps would have to have the same level of priority which I assume they both run at the lowest level possible.

Hmmm, don't forget FAH uses at least one CPU to service the GPU so there might be a conflict there. You can set Rosetta to use only 6 of 8 CPUs (or what ever your machine has, but save 2 CPUs for the GPUs), so that might fix it. Have to try it.

THanks for the interest.

Come to think of it, I did accidenatly run FAH CPU and Rosetta at the same time and they worked fine just gave me low results because both were working on the same CPUs.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking too with the CPU cores for FAH. As I begin to revamp my farm, I'll have plenty of CPU cycles for a while. I too will give it a try but I suspect you'll get to it before I do. I'll post back here when I get to it and if it works, I'll post in the FAH sub to see what interest there may be.

Interesting discussion. Just checked and I've got a CPU WU running currently and have had several over the last few days on F@H. Whoever gets the first opportunity to test out the F@H GPU/Rosetta CPU may get to wear the pimp hat.

Have Rosetta running at 50% CPU on my hex core L5640 (6 core/12 thread) with very little impact on Linux FAH GPU client on 980Ti+970. Allocating 6 real cores to Rosetta and 6 virtual cores to the FAH GPU. Host makes about 5,000 RAC. The L5640 is a good upgrade to save power on X58 boards, IF your board is compatible. Only 60w TDP vs 130w TDP for the i7-9xx. L5640 go for about $20 on ebay.

Have Rosetta running at 40% CPU on my quad core i7-860 (4 core / 8 thread) with very little impact on Linux FAH GPU client on 2x970. Allocating 3 real cores to Rosetta and 1 real + 4 virtual to the Linux FAH GPU client. Allocating 50% cpu on quad core i7-860 (4 core / 8 thread) had noticeable impact on the Linux GPU client. Makes about 2,000 RAC.

link to stats for Overclockers Rosetta Team at Free-DC. http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=rah&team=230

I also have a hex core. I'm currently letting the current WU from FAH finish and then I will switch the CPU to Rosetta. Unfortunately for the purposes of this thread, my CPU had only *just* got a WU so it will be an 8 hour wait in total.

Let me know how it works out...I could dedicate some CPU cores to Rosetta if it will run side-by-side with GPU folding.

Just finishing current WU, installed boinc manager, will configure when f@h WU finishes upload.

The Supermicro in my sig has 32 cores to devote to the Rosetta cause. ;)

Just finishing current WU, installed boinc manager, will configure when f@h WU finishes upload.

The Supermicro in my sig has 32 cores to devote to the Rosetta cause. ;)

That will rack up a few points !!:clap:

My CPU are mostly all running at 100%, some "throttling" or load balancing, not sure what to call it. But, temps are noticeably lower than with running f@h, by 5 deg. F.

My CPU are mostly all running at 100%, some "throttling" or load balancing, not sure what to call it. But, temps are noticeably lower than with running f@h, by 5 deg. F.

I noticed my temps were lower too vs FAH. I wonder why, since it shows all cpus at 100%.

I noticed my temps were lower too vs FAH. I wonder why, since it shows all cpus at 100%.

I've always found this as well. With F@H my 8 thread CPU's would always be in the low to mid 70degC's on an air cooler and mid 60's on water. With Rosetta I'm always in the low to mid 60's with an air cooler at room temp.
Don't really know how to explain it, but it's the way the CPU is working that's making the difference. eg: 100% load on Rosetta is not the same as 100% load on Prime95 and so on.

OK - loaded up my work laptop...Rosetta-ing away on 2 cores. Will load up more machines later!

I've always found this as well. With F@H my 8 thread CPU's would always be in the low to mid 70degC's on an air cooler and mid 60's on water. With Rosetta I'm always in the low to mid 60's with an air cooler at room temp.
Don't really know how to explain it, but it's the way the CPU is working that's making the difference. eg: 100% load on Rosetta is not the same as 100% load on Prime95 and so on.

I googled the 100% cpu time and this is what I gathered.

The percentage you see is measured over a time window and it's a measure of the OS allocating time slots to a process to run. So 100% means the OS has allocated all its time slots to processes. However, a particular process may not need every resource allocated for the whole time, and hence different temperatures show the intensity of use.

Giving it another whirl. I still had my moniker registered with BOINC so got my password and installed the client for Rosetta, joined the team. I'll see how this works out over the next few days. I'm only running it CPU only on Unit 2 (yeah, I know, but it's a 4770k) while the GPU runs F@H (R9 290X).

Been three days now. My FAH has not taken a hit even though I no longer fold with my Hexacore. From my perspective at this date, doing both is working out very well.

Back