• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking the Core-i7 9800X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomb18

Hi,
My first post. I haven't done any overclocking for a while but decided to get started with a whole new system.

Specs
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
CPU: Core i7 9800X
Cooler Corsait H60 single RAD.
Ram G.Skill Trident Z cl15 3000MHz, 32 GB.
Power supply EGA Supernova 1600 G2.
EVGA GTX1080
Note:
I have a custom loop with a triple rad which will be installed later. It's currently in another system.

I started off with using the XMP profile for the ram. Applying all the automatic optimizations suggested with the bios, resulted in all 8 cores running at 4.1GHz. Kind of strange. The turbo boost never engages. This ran for 14 hours with a maximum temperature of 72C using Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility
Next, I selected manual overclock but the only thing I added was to raise the RAM speed up to 3000. Everything else is on automatic.

This resulted in all 8 cores running at 4.5gHz which ran for an hour or so but then crashed. Temperatures reached 80C

The next test was to run in manual mode, but I set the cores to be synchronized and raised the ratio to 44. This seems to be perfectly stable running for many hours (10+) but the temperature got to 83C. The triple RAD I have should do a much better job.

Before I go any further I will need the better cooling.
I have a couple of questions for everyone. It would seem that I can probably run perfectly fine all the time with all 8 cores at 4.4GHz. Is this OK or should I just put the turbo boost to bring everything up to 4.4 GHz when needed? Can this even be done? On stock, the CPU runs at 3.8GHz but the cores automatically go to 4.5, 4.5, 4.2, 4.2 ,4.1, 4.1, 4.1, 4.1

I guess there is not too much known yet about these chips.
Thanks, Tom

4.1 sounds like stock all cores turbo, without looking it up. So that's normal. Higher clocks would only be seen when fewer cores are active. When you turn on XMP on Asus boards, often it would ask you if you want multicore enhancement, which is essentially an all core overclock to the max turbo speed. They guess what voltage is needed, and isn't turned for your CPU which may require more or less. Generally they go a bit high. You can decline or turn it off after if you don't want that. If your manual 4.4 OC is ok, go for it.

Hi,
That makes sense. I did use multicore enhancement, and by default, 4.1 GHz is the frequency things run with all cores active at stock settings.
Thanks

Played around a little more, and was able to get 4.6GHz at 1.3V with no issues. I did have to lower AVX and AVX512. Maximum temperature 88C with a single rad.
I need the computer to be stable all the time no matter what. So 4.4 would be good enough. You are right about the voltage. ASUS set it to 1.31V in auto. I can get the 4.4 GHz, down to 1.2V without any issues either.
Looks like I have a pretty good chip.

Back