• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid0 Failed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi all,

I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and during the game my display turned black and froze the game. After it brought me to desktop, the desktop would flicker as if it were rebooting but would rebboot. I tried to restart computer and it would not reboot, instead it would bring me to the user name and after clicking on my user name it would continue to flicker. I did a hard reboot by holding down the start button and then restarting again. During the restart, I can see when it will show the hard drives, it states that Raid Volumes, Raid0 Failed: Bootable No. Then it stays on the screen that says Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key... Please help..

I am running Win7 Pro 64bit...

Thanks

Sometimes when windows crashes hard it does screwy things to your Bios settings. I would take a look at your Bios and verify the HDDs are set to raid and didn't change to IDE or something. I've had that happen to me a few times, just changed it back to Raid and all was good.

Sometimes when windows crashes hard it does screwy things to your Bios settings. I would take a look at your Bios and verify the HDDs are set to raid and didn't change to IDE or something. I've had that happen to me a few times, just changed it back to Raid and all was good.

I went into BIOS and the hard disk is still set to RAID, Hard Disk Write Protect is set to disable and SATA Detect Time Out (SEC) 35

Nothing there has changed..

Hmmmm, damn! Sounds like corruption then and we all know what that means....... Reformat time, I just hope you backed up any important data and files. You'll have to recreate your Raid array as well.

SHhhh**t,

I would have to hate to reformat a drive that would corrupt so easily. I have never been through something like this before. What could cause such a thing?.. I keep my PC very clean and up to date with AV, MW and up date it as needed... What I really hate about my self is that I have never made a back up of my HD. Which means I have lost all my programs and files.... Is there anything that I can do to try and recover?

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do to recover your files at this point. The data is striped across the disk, so the blocks of data will end up on all the drives. Lose one, lose everything. Its gone, dead, expired, passed on. This is the risk with raid 0 so it's very important to back up your files but I know that point is moot.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do to recover your files at this point. The data is striped across the disk, so the blocks of data will end up on all the drives. Lose one, lose everything. Its gone, dead, expired, passed on. This is the risk with raid 0 so it's very important to back up your files but I know that point is moot.

Thanks dylskee for your quick response,

I have researched the web and pretty much found the same response everywhere. I guess it is time to upgrade the puter. I will be looking for the best SSD to upgrade to...

Thanks

//joescastle

Before you ditch the drives, try swapping cables. I had an old raid array that "failed" a few times. I switched out both cables, went into the intel storage manager in the bios, and it recreated the array without losing any data.

Before you ditch the drives, try swapping cables. I had an old raid array that "failed" a few times. I switched out both cables, went into the intel storage manager in the bios, and it recreated the array without losing any data.

I will give that a try this evening when I get home from work...

Thanks

//joescastle

Yeah, your drives most likely are fine. I've been running RAIDs for a while, and whenever there was a problem it was almost universally an SATA data cable. Get ones with latches ... and NEVER keep data that you really want to keep on RAID0 (0 stands for zero redundancy) + backup regularly.

I'll be honest, this is why I -neverever- used raid 0... even raid 5 is risky with the write hole and all, (zfs ftw?)

And I have to disagree with you kost; I see way too much just straight up disk failure to ever blame it on the cable, but I'll reserve a hard judgement due to having been wrong on sillier things before :p

<troll>
(if you run raid 0, be a bad person, and turn your entire fs into a git repository and push it to a secure fileserver for awesome instabackup)
</troll>

Back