• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look at what I got...

lsi_8708em2_initial.JPG

I'm surprised at the lack of responses. It has been months since my last real update.

What in those statements makes sense to you?.. hmm no updates = no response let me think...

yes, i subbed you schlub :p Build it up I am waiting :) (Happy with 2 2TB drives here...)

Careful Thid, I am catching up to you.

2x 7+1 RAID5 arrays on dual Perc5i's, ~11tb useable storage between them in a 4020, that will be Server 2k8 probably.

Im building out the WHS box now, Ill have to get a second 4020 for it.

You better hurry, or I may have to hijack the Rackedhouse title back!

Got it working. Currently running a 7 drive RAID 6 array. I pulled out a drive while it was live and set the alarm off to see what it sounds like. It is incredibly loud. I won't miss hearing this if a drive goes bad. The SAS expander also came today. I just need the 8087 cable and the 8087 breakout cables, which are on order.

I had it installed last night to test out the controller and had a hell of a time trying to get it to function. Luckily, I found a fix, purely by accident. If I let it sit at the drive selection screen (motherboard feature) for 30 seconds and selected a boot drive, it loaded the RAID card BIOS. Annoying to do, but a heck of a lot better than trying to make this work from a command line.

I never took pictures of the Seagate Savvio drives that I've been using, so here are the three:

seagate_savvio_sas.JPG

Here were the pictures I took last night:

lsi_8708em2_installed_1.JPG

lsi_8708em2_installed_2.JPG

I had to attach a fan to the RAID controller. It was getting a tad warmer than I'd like. I'll probably pick up a higher speed fan later, this is all I had on hand.

lsi_8708em2_stealthfan_1.JPG

lsi_8708em2_stealthfan_2.JPG

The HP SAS expander:

hp_sas_expander_1.JPG

And both cards installed. I don't have all the cables to get everything hooked up, so it is a bit cleaner than what it will look like.

lsi_8708em2_installed_3.JPG

Last edited:
Got the Intel RAID Web Console 2 up and running on the server. Nice and easy to install on CentOS 5.6:

Code:
Install the webserver for the RAID card:
yum install compat-libstdc++-33 libpciaccess libsysfs net-snmp net-snmp-libs net-snmp-utils
./install.sh -a

web_console_1.png

Was sending an iso to the server to try the virtual machine and it copied extremely quick. Did a test with a larger file to find it doing over 100mb/sec (writing) sustained while doing the background initialization of the array. Reads are at 116mb/sec, but I couldn't reproduce the results with the background initialization running.

init_transfer.png

7 Hitachi 1TB drive in a RAID 6 array under a LSI 8708EM2 RAID controller:

Code:
[root@thideras-server hitachi]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hitachi/test.iso bs=1G count=5
5+0 records in
5+0 records out
5368709120 bytes [COLOR=Red](5.4 GB) copied, 7.5864 seconds, 708 MB/s[/COLOR]
Code:
seeker /dev/sdd1
Seeker v3.0, 2009-06-17, http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html
Benchmarking /dev/sdd1 [8873046842 blocks, 4542999983104 bytes, 4230 GB, 4332542 MB, 4542 GiB, 4542999 MiB]
[512 logical sector size, 512 physical sector size]
[1 threads]
Wait 30 seconds..............................
Results: [COLOR=Red]81 seeks/second, 12.230 ms random access time[/COLOR] (3539871191 < offsets < 4540278939155)

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering picking up 10+ 2TB Hitachi 5K3000 drives for the server. With current pricing, it would be $800 and net me 16 TB disk space.

O.O da-hell you need 16 TB for other than being able to say you have it, thats an obvious man need!

I have over 600 DVDs (I count a full season as 1 DVD), I do a FULL disc rip and dont convert, so each disc takes 4-8GB each.

My music collection (which literally is 100% legit), is over 100gb.

You would be surprised how quickly you can fill up space when you digitize things.

Just ordered 5 SATA breakout cables for the server. The two 8087 to 8087 cables should be here early this week. This will allow me to use the SAS expander to see how it functions.

Last edited:
Neat project. I've been thinking about a massive storage project like this for a while. I just keep swapping - a real PITA! Good on you for doing it!

The system has been rock solid for a good while now :) As I expect from a server grade board.

If I cant scrape enough $$$ to get a hardware RAID card decent soon I might go with software RAID. It's just hard to find a 3 port + (I would like 5port) card that is cheap and uses either PCI-X or PCI-e. Could settle for a 4 port card for cheap but they still use a PCI bus :(

Don't give it a second thought, I firmly believe that once anyone tries software raid through linux, they'll never use anything else.

Don't give it a second thought, I firmly believe that once anyone tries software raid through linux, they'll never use anything else.
Well, except real hardware RAID with a good controller. :p

thid, adragon, know that I will purchase as many hard drives as I need to to make sure that I have more storage than you do. :D

my rack is out in the garage, everything is sitting on a folding table right now.

First time I've seen this thread thid, definitely subscribed. Have heard about WHS and those expanders, and while I really dislike WHS, I have been curious to see some real word use of expanders from someone that can find their *** with both hands.

Still have not got the cables for the SAS expander, but I got to play with the RAID array tonight a bit. One issue that I had (on the old card) was running multiple VM's and attempting to stream audio/video from the array. It would always stutter very badly and even pause for long periods while the controller caught up.

So, tonight, I was determined to make my music skip. I took a few attempts at it. The FLAC media that I was listening to was roughly 160-200 KiB/sec, which is more than a regular quality movie file.

Attempt 1 - Failed (no skips):
Install my spare copy of 2k3 and 7 at the same time. 2k3 has a 16gb disk and 7 has a 64gb disk and is fully initialized, meaning it was created at the time of the install.

Attempt 2 - Failed (no skips):
Still installing 7.
Install the first Windows XP.
Install the second Windows XP (wouldn't let me do both XP's at the same time).
Web server sitting idle, but running.

Attempt 3 - Failed (no skips):
Windows updates for 2k3.
Windows updates for 7.
Windows updates for first XP.
Windows updates for second XP.

Attempt 4 - Succeed (very short skips):
Windows updates for 2k3.
Windows updates for 7.
Windows updates for first XP.
Windows updates for second XP.
Create a huge file on the RAID array (200gb - dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hitachi/vm/hugefile.omg bs=1G count=200)

I can't kill it and this is substantially better than my previous setup. It took 4 Windows virtual machines updating and "dd" to give any sort of delay. For having that many VM's doing tons of random I/O and dd writing over 300 MiB/sec at the same time, I'm impressed. If/when I get more drives for this, the VM's will be off the main storage array so it doesn't cause this issue. I just wanted to see how much I could load up the hard drives and the controller before I started hitting limits.

Currently, my server is sitting at a load of "13.02 10.21 6.52" and still working like no VMs are running.

windows_updates_thrash.png

Last edited:
thid, adragon, know that I will purchase as many hard drives as I need to to make sure that I have more storage than you do. :D

my rack is out in the garage, everything is sitting on a folding table right now.

First time I've seen this thread thid, definitely subscribed. Have heard about WHS and those expanders, and while I really dislike WHS, I have been curious to see some real word use of expanders from someone that can find their *** with both hands.

make absolutely sure that you do not get WHS "Vail", They removed the drive expander portion from the new WHS.

Microcenter has a builder copy of WHS for 99.

Thid, I think that cw823 has challenged you and I, it appears that the gauntlet is in fact lying on the ground and the side of my face stings.

CW823, I accept your challenge and await you at dawn! Shall it be sheer drive space or numeric quantity of running drives?

Back