• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hibbmtfc

Registered
Here are my CPU-Z images[please see post 6]and was wondering what my best overclocking options were.Any other info you need just ask.Ive also got some thermal paste which i will apply tomorrow[arctic silver].My temperature is about 40c normal,goes up to 52c if i have a few things running and thats with all the settings on vtune at the highest,cheers

Options in BIOS[currently at](options)

CPU frequency setting[200]
PCIE clock[auto]
PCIE frequency setting[100]
CPU voltage[default](options are +5/10/15%)
DRAM frequency[auto](options are DDR2 500/600mhz)
configure DRAM timing by SPD[enabled](options below if disabled)
DRAM CAS# latency[5](options are 3-6)
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay[6 DRAM clocks](options are 3-6)
DRAM RAS# precharge[as above](as above)
DRAM RAS# activate to precha[15 DRAM clocks](options are 9-15)

Last edited:
What are your full system specs? Without this, we can't really give much information.

It is because your upload program is likely resizing it. It isn't "going blurry".

Is this better?

hibbmtfc-untitled2.JPG

You didn't build this computer? If this is a retail system, you aren't going to be able to overclock it. They run a locked down BIOS along with low airflow cases and low quality power supplies.

This is a custom built one i bought off ebay[blade case].Ive downloaded lavalys everest ultimate so tell me the specs you need and ill tell ya :)

We need your:
CPU
Memory
Memory speed
Memory timings
Motherboard
Power supply
CPU cooler
Anything else I'm forgetting?

Basically, we need everything in your system in able to advise you.
Oh, and :welcome: to the forums!

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 1815 MHz (9 x 202)
==================================================
System Memory 3072 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
=======================================
Memory Speed DDR2-800 (400 MHz)
=============================
Memory Timings
@ 400 MHz 6-6-6-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 24-51-3-6-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
@ 333 MHz 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 20-43-3-5-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
@ 266 MHz 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 16-34-2-4-2-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
=================================================================
Motherboard ID 63-0100-009999-00101111-020110-Bearlake$G31CM201_G31-M7 TE (G31CM201 BF) BIOS DATE: 02/01/10
================================================================
Power supply ATX-500,500w
=====================
CPU cooler spire sleeve bearing 12v[need a new one,any recommendations?]
=========================================================
Thank you for your kind welcome :)

Last edited:
Im also on facebook if its easier for anyone to help me :)

facebook link edited, these forums are viewable publicy so don't want that in there I'd say. - edited by cw823

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing, your chip is underclocked, the bus speed should be 266 at stock, for 2.4 ghz, yours is set to 200.

It looks like that motherboard supports 333/400mhz front side bus, and the memory does as well, so there is a fair chance that with a high end air cooler you could get your q6600 up to 3.0/3.6ghz. Only real worry is the voltage it will need, since im betting that the motherboard isnt going to be too fond of the extra draw of an overclocked quad core

You would want something like a megahalems, a venomous x, noctua nh-d14, large tower coolers tend to work the best.

Timings and voltages required vary by so much that its often better to just try settings yourself, to see if they work, and clear the cmos if they dont. Dont worry overmuch about hurting the cpu, q6600s are quite durable. Short term, anywhere under about 1.55v and 80c load is fine for testing. i run mine just under 1.45 volts full time, and the temps vary between about 55c and 70c depending on how warm it is outside.

When i used to air cool my proc, it did 3.0 on stock voltage of 1.225 with a mid range air cooler, but would slowly overheat that cooler at 3.2 and around 1.3v. So after you get a new cooler, that is where i would start. Try 333 x 9 for 3.0 and see if it works at stock voltage. If not, clear the cmos and try to add around .1v.

Ok ive changed the settings to 266,+10 and 500mhz and temp goes to 65c with WMP,firefox and a high graphics game[ipool]running,is that ok?Also how long do you have to wait after applying thermal paste?I booted up straight away but my monitor went into safe mode but started as normal after removing the paste,cheers

Ok ive tried those settings above and temps went to 52 with WMP,firefox and a high graphics game running,not sure how high that is?[GPU temp at 42 when its normally 50 odd]Temps go higher when i switch to firefox for some reason lol

Last edited:
Back