• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120hz monitor for mainly 2D gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Espen

Registered
Hello again!

As the title says I am looking for a new gaming monitor. It will mainly be used for FPS-gaming like CSS and BF3.

I was first going to get the LG W2363D, but this monitor is not in production anymore. As I am Norwegian I am going to be buying the monitor from a Norwegian site. I was considering going around 23''-24'' in size. The 120hz monitors the site has in these sizes are:

• Asus VG236HE (~ £269)
  • Samsung S23A750D (~ £325)
  • BenQ XL2410T (~ £410)
  • Alienware OPTX AW2310 (~ £463)
  • Samsung T23A750 (~ £558)

The Asus is indeed a lot cheaper, but from my understanding it's one of the better 120hz monitors out at the moment. The BenQ is probably the one with the least input lag, but will I notice any difference from for example the Asus? The BenQ just does not seem to have a lot of "great reviews", but was this because of an early bad batch?

I am not sure if there are some new 120hz monitors around the corner that more then likely will blow these out of the water?

Hope some of you can help me out. :thup:

Kind regards
Espen Andreassen :)

May I ask what the reason for a 120hz screen is? is there something special about them that i'm not aware of? (apart from it has twice the refresh rate of a standard 60hz monitor) because i'm sure you won't see much if any difference, not to mention If you use Vertical sync your graphics card will be working twice as hard to produce a flat framerate (than, like before a 60h screen).

• BenQ XL2410T (~ £410)
  • Alienware OPTX AW2310 (~ £463)

The Asus is indeed a lot cheaper, but from my understanding it's one of the better 120hz monitors out at the moment. The BenQ is probably the one with the least input lag, but will I notice any difference from for example the Asus? The BenQ just does not seem to have a lot of "great reviews", but was this because of an early bad batch?

I am not sure if there are some new 120hz monitors around the corner that more then likely will blow these out of the water?

Didn't know the LG monitor was discontinued. I wonder if they'll bring another one out. For figuring out which 120hz monitor you want to get, you need to figure out if you like a matte screen or glossy screen. I dislike glossy screens because if you have a light on behind you or the sun is shining into the room you can get some bad glare. However, glossy makes colors a lot more vibrant. This is all user preference of course.

From my understanding Asus has the best color reproduction, but a glossy screen. It also has a little more blur compared to the LG or Benq. The Samsung T23A750 is expensive and I have no idea why. The other Samsung I also have no clue about. Think it came out very recently, so have read very little about it and I don't think enough people have it yet to discuss it. I have had the Acer 120hz and that one was actually pretty good, though it had quirks with its settings, so I'd get something else.

Down to the Benq and Alienware, both matte screens. I believe the Alienware had much better color reproduction, but is a 23" and more input lag. The Benq has had issues with earlier firmware and their default settings are really bad, which are the two biggest reasons for complaints. I would also say that Benq is not the greatest at RMAs (incase you needed to get the monitor fixed). Though the Benq is 24", LED, very low input lag, and when setup correctly is decent with color reproduction although it still has black crush (oh well, can't have it all).

If you wanted a glossy screen, then I'd wait to see if any reviews pop up that compare the Asus and the Samsung. If you wanted a matte screen you have to weigh out the Alienware and Benq. I went with the Benq mainly because I wanted 24" and was more concerned with monitor speed/input lag vs color reproduction. I was able to snag a refurb for ~$260 shipped IIRC, although it wasn't until the 3rd refurb that I got a working screen.

So really, just pick what is most important to you. If you do pick the Benq, make sure the manufacturing date is atleast feb 2011, but I think they have some new ones now that are june 2011. The reason is you want the V005 Firmware. To setup the monitor, first set it to Standard, Instant On, AMA On, Brightness 30-40, Contrast 50, and there were a couple other settings, but this should make the monitor much better.

May I ask what the reason for a 120hz screen is? is there something special about them that i'm not aware of? (apart from it has twice the refresh rate of a standard 60hz monitor) because i'm sure you won't see much if any difference, not to mention If you use Vertical sync your graphics card will be working twice as hard to produce a flat framerate (than, like before a 60h screen).

120hz is really only for FPS games and 3D. The reason it helps in FPS games is that it will display information twice as often to the player (120hz input). Meaning you will actually spot someone a split second faster or see when they change direction quicker, there will be a lot less blur when spinning around, and enemies will move smoother so leading shots should be easier. Has to be a 120hz monitor though as the TVs aren't 120hz input. V-sync induces mouse lag (I don't use it), but 120hz does reduce tearing. If he does play with v-sync it should reduce lag compared to a 60hz monitor since the monitor is updating faster. The graphics card won't work any harder to have v-sync on as it is a cap. Hopefully you know why it is used for 3D. The reason it is not really beneficial for other games/applications is most have static images, while FPS is constantly changing the whole screen. It is also because most other games wouldn't give you an advantage for displaying 120fps.

Wow, thanks for the long answer! :thup:

It seems most people are recommending the Asus or the Samsung. Do you know how large the difference is in input lag between the BenQ and these two? Would I notice any difference in CSS or BF3 (or other FPS games)? I usually play in pretty dark conditions so I doubt sunlight would be the worst problem. How big is the difference on the new BenQ batch compared to the old one?

Thanks in advance

Wow, thanks for the long answer! :thup:

It seems most people are recommending the Asus or the Samsung. Do you know how large the difference is in input lag between the BenQ and these two? Would I notice any difference in CSS or BF3 (or other FPS games)? I usually play in pretty dark conditions so I doubt sunlight would be the worst problem. How big is the difference on the new BenQ batch compared to the old one?

Thanks in advance

The difference in input lag, no idea how it will translate into actual gaming issues. I can usually sense any form of mouse lag, but might not be able to sense the difference in input lag (never tried). So I can't really give any personal opinions on it. I understand the technicalities behind it, but that doesn't always translate into what I can perceive. It also changes from user to user as some people say they can't even tell the difference between 120hz and 60hz. Like I notice mouse lag caused by v-sync very easily, but I see all the time that people enable v-sync.

I'd say the reason people suggest Asus or Samsung is because most are review junkies. By that I mean, how many people test many different monitors? Probably very few. How many actually have tested the different 120hz monitors and compared them side by side? How many of those people play games? If so, what types of games? If FPS, are they at the higher end of skill or just a casual? Now out of those people, what has higher weight, input lag/response, color reproduction, style of the panel, blur/ghosting, viewing angle, etc...

From most of the forum posts I've read, people are just going based off the review sites and I think one guy (he craps on the Benq on another forum) doesn't even have a 120hz monitor! The problem with that is there is a weighted bias and differences in personal perception. This is different than reviewing an AMD cpu vs an equivalent Intel CPU. Either the Intel CPU is faster at X or the AMD CPU is faster at X. If X is what you want to do with the CPU, well makes the choice easier. Most forum posts generally reflect this. While the monitor suggestions are just a general buy X monitor cause it got a good review.

I honestly can't tell you exactly what was wrong with the original Benq monitors as I've never had one. I don't know if the people who had them maybe set them up incorrectly or if it was just a overall a bad monitor. The big issue is that because the original monitor was apparently bad, these reviews are the first thing people read and tend to take as fact even for their newest version. Gaming on this monitor is great. I can see the colors or brightness or whatever they call it is somewhat off when I specifically look for it after reading what I'm supposed to be looking for. When I use one of those calibrated color charts and told the boxes should all be equal in incremental increasing brightness, yes I can see that the benq is off (apparently called Black Crush). However, I don't notice it at all when playing games.

My background. I'm a gamer, love my FPS games (actually play everything), and am more about my ability to play rather than look at flashy colors. I don't spend time to look at the textures, rather I am more focused on my enemy or the current objective. In WoW I didn't care what a piece of gear looked like (as long as it wasn't some pink dress), but was only interested in it's stats. I very rarely turn on AA. Although I don't play in 800x600 like some do. Don't do professional photoshop editing and don't use my computer for movies. This is the best I can do at describing my perception of the monitor.

Last edited:
Hey I just bought asus VG236 and I must say I am very impressed with it. I am like dumpalump in that I really only care about my score at the end of the day and not how pretty the game is. That being said this monitor has been better than expected for me. 120 hz is awsome and there is almost no input lag. On top of that the colours are actually very good, which suprised me. I am only using mine for 2d gaming as well. Make sure you have enough GPU muscle to keep you FPS above 120 though. I have a GTX 580 ROG Matrix and I am only getting between 60 and 75 FPS in the battlefield 3 Beta with the 285 driver installed. I am thinking about SLI :) Anyways hope this helps you out.

I'd go with Samsung but that is personal preference. I have a SM 2233RZ for 3D, a SM F2380 and a SM T27A550 (mainly used as TV :) ). Currently (work) sitting in front of a SM 243T from 2004 still running.
Your prices seem a little bit on the high side. A quick search here showed the SM T23A750 @~ €440,- with p&p and VAT. I know things are more expensive in Norway but it shouldn't be so much more.

I'd go with Samsung but that is personal preference. I have a SM 2233RZ for 3D, a SM F2380 and a SM T27A550 (mainly used as TV :) ). Currently (work) sitting in front of a SM 243T from 2004 still running.
Your prices seem a little bit on the high side. A quick search here showed the SM T23A750 @~ €440,- with p&p and VAT. I know things are more expensive in Norway but it shouldn't be so much more.

325 quid for the Samsung S23A750D is actually the cheapest in Norway :p

Thanks for the reply :)

...not to mention If you use Vertical sync your graphics card will be working twice as hard to produce a flat framerate (than, like before a 60h screen).

If he does play with v-sync it should reduce lag compared to a 60hz monitor since the monitor is updating faster. The graphics card won't work any harder to have v-sync on as it is a cap.

I think Ba!nesy means that if you run vsync all the time anyway trying to maintain 120fps vs. trying to maintain 60fps is going to work your gfx card twice as hard.

^
Despite running or not running vsync, even with it off, the tearing is less evident on a 120hz screen. I've seen it maself.
You still get tearing, but because of the increased refresh rate, it's much less evident and more tolerable. There ARE a lot of games, though, where you can easily hold vsync @ 120 on a decent computer. I get like 180-230FPS on Dead Island, which is a new game, on a 580.

Thanks for the replies! :)

I am still unsure which monitor to go for, but after asking some of the people I have been playing against competitively in CSS, they all say BenQ XL2410T is the prefered monitor in the CSS scene. So I guess I am leaning towards this monitor. Also because of what DumpALump has said in his posts. Hmm...

What monitor do you have Dump? Did you post it and i just missed?

Benq XL2410t. Had posted it, but recommend people go with what fits their criteria. The benq was just what I personally preferred even though I looked at other monitors. Even had an acer 120hz (was good, but had some small issues with settings).

Back