• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those are the ones I will order. Shipping is the expensive part, right now. I know Newegg does a rotation of free shipping, so I just have to wait for that to come back around.

I dislike these rails. Expensive and difficult to use. I paid $16/set for my Rapid Rails and they are much better.

Yes, I racked my 2650 in about 5 min with no instructions. That RPC-470 took two people, and about 2 hours. Probably can get that down to 30min, now that I know how they need to be installed.

Those Norco rails... They make me want to spend a ton more cash and get something with a decent rack solution, use shelves, or just buy a new dell server.

Shipping is free if you have shop runner. They've been giving it away for free.

Free 30 day trial here:

https://www.shoprunner.com/trial/free-shipping-trial.php

I actually got my rails for 3$ a set, at 24$ for the lot of 8 sets. They require a bit of understanding to use them and I had to tweak them to get 'em right with a few washers, but now they're every bit as solid as the rosewil rails I used. I'm bragging a bit, I know. But that said, I also have a set of rosewills and these are cheaper then the ones linked above and EXCEPTIONALLY SOLID.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132033

Again, utilize shoprunner trial for free 2 day shipping.

The rails you linked look like the habey rl-26 as well.

It's unlikely that they differ in any meaningful way. That said it includes parts the Rosewill kit did not so may not be the exact same kit.

If you have an all square hold rack, these rails are amazing, my rack is square up front, threaded round in back and it still works fine. My cheapo rails (the ones I said I had to screw with to get working) are REALLY finicky with the round holes in back, but the Rosewill rail kit is very solid without any tweaking. It's a pain to install though compared to others I've used.

Altogether, a 4 of 5, considering the price for the Rosewill rail kit. (as reference, my cheapo rails that require tweaking to work right I'd rate at a 5 of 5 just because I got 8 sets for less than the price of one rosewill set).

Those look the same, I'll probably order a pair to see how they fit with the Norco cases. Thanks for the link. Where did you get them so cheap?

Those look the same, I'll probably order a pair to see how they fit with the Norco cases. Thanks for the link. Where did you get them so cheap?

My rails are not the rosewill rails. I bought C204-519 rails, on ebay. They're no longer available.

The Rosewill rails work fine with the Rosewill cases, which we both know are re-branded Norco cases. I can guarantee they work as long as your rack works to the same degree mine does, and I'm sure it does. :)

Now I just have to wait for free shipping. I refuse to use that garbage "free shipping" service as I've heard way too many bad things about it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6822833#post6822833

I'm patient and can wait. I can still use the servers in the meantime. :)

I'll be ordering some drives for the other server shortly. I currently only have three 500 gb IBM drives for the Yonah VM servers, and I really want to run these in RAID 1. Instead of trying to find a matching 500 gb IBM drive, I'm going to put a matched pair of drives in one and have a spare left over. I also got the RAM installed on one of the VM servers, so I'm just waiting on a replacement stick that decided to die on me.

I have two WD RE2 500gb drives coming now. I just need rails and these are ready to go.

I also bought 12gb (total) of RAM for my Poweredge 2650's. My main database server has a whopping 1gb in it now. It was $45 for all 12 gb, which is a pretty good deal on legacy hardware.

I'd re-read that thread, Thideras, after I posted my good example, a few others have also mirrored my results. It's not as scammy as you think and if you get the free trial it's pretty legit, man.

BTW, does anybody know what screw size I need to mount rails to the rosewill cases? I can't find it with google fu for some reason. What I need specifically is what screw is required to mount the inner rail assembly onto the chassis. I have plenty of screws to mount the outer assembly to the rack, I just need help figuring out what I need for the inner assembly. It's definitely a higher thread count screw and doesn't seem to be anything you'd find in a normal PC since I don't have 8 bajillion of 'em sitting around.

Last edited:
I can try and remember to check later tonight for you. I assume it is the same as the Norco cases.

I can try and remember to check later tonight for you. I assume it is the same as the Norco cases.

I would appreciate it. Remember, I need the screw size for the screw used to mount the inner rail to the case (on the sides of the case).

It should be one of these three (I can't remember which I used)
#10-32
M4x6
M5x12

I need an exact answer. Finding time to get to lowe's without a car is increasingly difficult and it would be amazing to just order them online.

M4x0.7 is the thread, Aynjell. I assume this means it is M4x7, but it literally says 0.7 on the tap and case.

RE2 drives arrived along with the 12gb of memory for the 2650's.

6gb_memory_upgrade.JPG

Back