• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure what you mean, do you have a link?

definitely looks way easier than trying to keep the wires in the right order while sliding them into the jack.

i'll have to pick some of those up when i get some more wire.

After repeatedly bashing my face on the wall called LDAP, I finally got it to work and I almost don't believe it. There is no smiley in the world that can show how smug I'm feeling right now.

The domain is completely internal, so don't bother doing a DNS lookup -- it doesn't exist. I set this up in pfSense to point to my test server. I'm using TLS for encryption, which was one big headache. Self signed certificates suck.
Code:
[root@vm-ldaptest ~]# LDAPTLS_CACERT=/etc/pki/tls/certs/slapdcert.pem ldapsearch -d 8 -H ldaps://thiderasdomain.com -b dc=thiderasdomain,dc=com -x

# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=thiderasdomain,dc=com> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# thiderasdomain.com
dn: dc=thiderasdomain,dc=com
dc: thiderasdomain
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain

# Hosts, thiderasdomain.com
dn: ou=Hosts,dc=thiderasdomain,dc=com
ou: Hosts
objectClass: organizationalUnit

<snip because this thing is huge>

# localhost, Hosts, thiderasdomain.com
dn: cn=localhost,ou=Hosts,dc=thiderasdomain,dc=com
objectClass: ipHost
objectClass: device
ipHostNumber: 127.0.0.1
cn: localhost
cn: localhost.localdomain
cn: localhost4
cn: localhost4.localdomain4
cn: vm-ldaptest

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 56
# numEntries: 55
Next on the list is to create another vm client and have it try to authenticate to it. I knock one brick wall down to find another behind it.

definitely looks way easier than trying to keep the wires in the right order while sliding them into the jack.

i'll have to pick some of those up when i get some more wire.

I'm redoing wiring in a building where the previous "it guy" didn't have a clue. they ran cat6 to everything, bought some kind of server for $8,000 (which they took with them), and everything is run to a 10/100 switch. Figured I'd re-terminate all the cables and picked up these things to make it easier

The new cables arrived today, so I should be able to install them this weekend. Still trying to decide whether I want to risk buying new batteries for my current UPS or buy a new one entirely.

The new cables arrived today, so I should be able to install them this weekend. Still trying to decide whether I want to risk buying new batteries for my current UPS or buy a new one entirely.

I shopped local for the rack-mount 1500va 2U UPS that I purchased, they said they could get me batteries at $30 per (needed 4), but they couldn't get them till February. this was in early December.

The batteries for mine are $17/e and I need 16 of them.

I got a few things ordered for the servers.

4x power supplies for the Dell 2650's (only have one per server, at the moment)
4x 2gb ECC DDR-400 sticks for one Yonah VM server
1x 2gb ECC DDR-400 replacement stick for the other Yonah VM server

Since I can't get these cases to work with the Dell Rapid Rails, I'm going to order the Norco rails for the Yonah servers when Newegg isn't charging $11/e for shipping.

What is the goal of this server overkill? Are you going to host?

been following this for awhile now probably since the beginning. it's getting me wanting to either get a rack or build one to put all my stuff in.

don't got it all hooked up right now. waiting till i can put it in a room by itself or a basement.

for a server i got
dell poweredge 2800 with 2 3.4ghz cpu's 9gb of ram. (only bad thing is it weighs a ton)

3com corebuilder 3500 i saved from my friends neighbor. (he was throwing a bunch of stuff out so i went dumpster diving. he had a big rolloff dumpster)

not trying to jack your thread

No, that is perfectly fine. You got a good start!

been following this for awhile now probably since the beginning. it's getting me wanting to either get a rack or build one to put all my stuff in.

don't got it all hooked up right now. waiting till i can put it in a room by itself or a basement.

for a server i got
dell poweredge 2800 with 2 3.4ghz cpu's 9gb of ram. (only bad thing is it weighs a ton)

3com corebuilder 3500 i saved from my friends neighbor. (he was throwing a bunch of stuff out so i went dumpster diving. he had a big rolloff dumpster)

not trying to jack your thread

Thiddy's an inspiration and resource to us all. I have a rack as well with some very similar hardware to Thideras, at least 3 of my boxes (the three are sossaman dual chip dual core 2ghz boxes) are like some of his anyway. Half the stuff i've gotten were because he reccomended them and it turned out to be the best option we were aware of then.

Thiddy's an inspiration and resource to us all. I have a rack as well with some very similar hardware to Thideras, at least 3 of my boxes (the three are sossaman dual chip dual core 2ghz boxes) are like some of his anyway. Half the stuff i've gotten were because he reccomended them and it turned out to be the best option we were aware of then.

I use the same box too. Half the stuff I've done with my server has come from ideas out of this thread or from words thideras typed at me.

It's fun

Pro tip: Don't listen to me if you want to keep your money.

Back