• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got my virtual machine servers put together, but I'm not even sure that I want to keep them. They are good, but I think I can get a dual socket quad core (Core2) box for the same price, which will be much faster. The biggest factor that I'm not happy with is the case. I had to do so much work to get them to function and they still have crappy expensive rails. I'd love to get a Dell Poweredge, drop it in the rapid rails and fire it up.

EDIT: Oh, and the processors are 32bit, which limits what I can run on them.

I got my virtual machine servers put together, but I'm not even sure that I want to keep them. They are good, but I think I can get a dual socket quad core (Core2) box for the same price, which will be much faster. The biggest factor that I'm not happy with is the case. I had to do so much work to get them to function and they still have crappy expensive rails. I'd love to get a Dell Poweredge, drop it in the rapid rails and fire it up.

EDIT: Oh, and the processors are 32bit, which limits what I can run on them.

Yeah it's a shame Intel didn't make any 64bit Dothan (2nd gen Pentium M) CPU's :( Would have made a for a great power efficient server back in the day. Sort of like the Athlon MP did but only better :)

I'm already making plans to part these out. I know what servers I want. I'll probably get them in the next few days.

IBM x3650

I'll probably get two of them and put dual quads with 24gb of RAM each. That should last me a while. I considered the PowerEdge 2950s, but the IBMs are cheaper for the same hardware.

I guess this is as good a time to put the new power cables in. Had two power outages last night and I kept the servers powered off after the first.

Servers have been completely off for nearly 24 hours. I wanted to make sure there was no damage. I don't have a UPS on these yet...
*grumble* 160 days uptime *grumble*

Last edited:
IBM x3650

I'll probably get two of them and put dual quads with 24gb of RAM each. That should last me a while. I considered the PowerEdge 2950s, but the IBMs are cheaper for the same hardware.

nice deal with the ibm's , i've been looking at the 2950's but some of them seem overpriced for what you get. going by ebay where they have stripped down ones with a huge pricetag.

The only thing I'm worried about with the x3650 is that all the documentation says "fully buffered" RAM, but the sticks that I find for this are not explicitly labeled as such. I'm not sure if this is required or the sticks are just not labeled. I'll have to research this before buying them.

As long as you promise not to buy all the servers (10+), I can send you a link via private messages showing you which one I'm considering.

The only thing I'm worried about with the x3650 is that all the documentation says "fully buffered" RAM, but the sticks that I find for this are not explicitly labeled as such. I'm not sure if this is required or the sticks are just not labeled. I'll have to research this before buying them.

As long as you promise not to buy all the servers (10+), I can send you a link via private messages showing you which one I'm considering.

hmm might not be on the label.

i'll have to find somewhere local to buy a rack from.

haha i won't buy all 10 the most i would go for would be 2. thank you for sending the link.

hmm might not be on the label.

i'll have to find somewhere local to buy a rack from.

haha i won't buy all 10 the most i would go for would be 2. thank you for sending the link.

Really? I thought any FB-DIMM was pretty obvious just by looking at it. I must be out of touch a bit

I really should try to get that link also but I can't really afford more servers. I hope they work out for you Thideras, and keep us posted.

Sent you a message with the link, 95blackz26.

EDIT: Aynjell, I'll get you later.

Servers are started up and both RAID arrays are doing patrol reads. New cables worked perfectly and the arm I was sent for the 2650 works great, as well.

Well, it wasn't completely uneventful. The server came up, but I couldn't access the RAID console remotely nor could I connect to the Samba shares. Turns out that I've never restarted the server, so I forgot to configure iptables or SELinux (I disable both on initial install and then configure later). I was really confused why nothing was working. It had an uptime of around 160 days.

Patrol reads are done on the RAID 10 array, but the massive RAID 6 array is only 83% done.

Last edited:
When I grew my 10TB raid5 to raid6 I went out and bought a UPS first...we had a massive snow storm coming. The reshaping was going to take 6 and a half days....power never went out due to weather, but a breaker tripped...thankfully the UPS was there to gracefully shutdown the server, reshaping started right back up where it left off (manually). Time to invest :/

There is an issue with that, though. I could get one UPS that handles just the file server, but that is going to be $100+. I have a Compaq R3000 UPS that has dead batteries and I don't even know if it works. I could take a risk and drop $250 on batteries and hope it works or buy a used known-working rackmounted UPS to replace it, but that is a bit more expensive.

Or, I could take the batteries out of the vehicles and hook it up...

I just started 8 virtual machines at once while streaming media from the server. It didn't even flinch. Now I want to upgrade the file server because the processor is a pretty large bottleneck, along with the RAM. I'm still considering the IBM servers, but I can't move myself to hit the buy button.

maxed_cpu.png

Back