• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SERVERS ARE HERE. They are amazing. Pictures in a bit.

Pictures, as promised. The boxes these arrived in are huge and heavy. I put a disk on the box to show how large they are.
x3650_arrived_1.JPG

Box opened. Packaging is well done.
x3650_arrived_2.JPG

The only thing that was "damaged" (I wouldn't call it that, but I lack a better word) was the fake inserts for the blank hard drives. They don't sit perfectly straight. But who cares, they are blanks.
x3650_arrived_3.JPG

Light Path pop out diagnostics panel.
x3650_arrived_4.JPG

I'm mainly impressed with how easy this server is to assemble/disassemble. I had the whole thing torn apart in minutes and it was just smooth. This is the single latch to open the case.
x3650_arrived_5.JPG

Pop it up and slide the top off.
x3650_arrived_6.JPG

Internal shot.
x3650_arrived_7.JPG

This is fully loaded on Delta fans, which I'm glad to see.
x3650_arrived_8.JPG

I'm disappointed to see the RAM are 1gb sticks. This means to upgrade, I have to replace them all.
x3650_arrived_9.JPG

Back shot with the PCIe riser card removed. You can also clearly see the hooks for the heatsinks. Removing them is incredibly simply. Just pull the slider bar out and it is off. This has a total of four PCIe 8x slots; two on the riser card and two on the motherboard directly.
x3650_arrived_10.JPG

x3650_arrived_11.JPG

The entire fan assembly removes with two tabs.
x3650_arrived_12.JPG

Board with the fans removed.
x3650_arrived_13.JPG

This is the back of the hotswap SAS bay, right where the fans normally sit.
x3650_arrived_14.JPG

This is directly in front of the processors, facing forward, where the fans sit.
x3650_arrived_15.JPG

Power supplies removed.
x3650_arrived_16.JPG

The only thing I need to do is inspect the other server and verify both are in working condition. I'm also going to be renaming my current servers, but I don't know what theme to go with.

nice good deal with the servers. i'll probably be picking one up soon.

when i got the poweredge 2800 it was heavy and huge. whole thing boxed up was like one of those mini fridges. and weighed something around a 120lbs.

Yeah, how much do these things weigh? Holy crap. If it's that heavy I don't wanna mess with it. :O

It says they weigh 40 lbs on a sticker. That feels about right.

I'll have to pull one out. The casing covers the model, but I can see the Delta symbol on it.

Well, the good news is you can recoup some of that upgrade cost by selling all those 1 GB sticks on ebay? Or are they too small now a days? Anyway, IMO, 8 GB for a machine isn't bad at all. Think it'll fit your needs for a while as is?

Impressive progress BTW!

I can get some money back on it, but it won't be substantial.

First server is running VirtualBox. I've decided to name the servers after programming languages, so the first x3650 running is "fortran". The second is "cobol".

QUITE LOUD

Luckily, they go to half speed when the server is idle.

i can imagine what these things sound like when you first fire the server up. the fans in my 2800 max out when it's fired up sounds like a vacuum. but once they settle down it's not bad.

Rails for these servers are more expensive than I originally thought. As it stands now, they are going to be around $30-40/pair shipped. But, they work and install a lot better than the Norco rails, so I guess I can't complain too much.

For future reference or other viewers, the rails for the IBM x3650 7979 are the same for the following servers:
x3650
x3655
x346
x345
x366

Now just to shop around and find them for cheap.

Next on the plate is parting out my 2650's, selling them outright or c) other. The parts are cheap and they are solid servers, but not being able to run virtual machines on them limits what I can do. I'm going to move my Icinga install to a virtual machine and get a standalone mySQL server running so I can fully retire the 2650's. I just got these, but I think I jumped the gun instead of looking around. I could sell the two Dells that I have and pay for another IBM x3650, which would be way more powerful, flexible and probably less power. Along with these, I'll probably get rid of my Pentium 3 systems as they are just too old to even keep in the rack.

I've even considered finishing my 30/45 drive server project, putting nothing but the HP SAS expander in it, drop a RAID card in one of the x3650's and let it handle the disks. Then, I have no custom made servers laying around, which would be nice. This is a fleeting idea, which I haven't put much thought into. I'm open to ideas on this, if anyone wants to chime in. I'm just trying to get away from full servers being custom built. Obviously, I don't include disk arrays in this because they are stupid cheap to run.

Either way, I'm seriously considering getting another x3650, maybe even a fourth. They are just too damn good for the price. :(

I un-thiderasfied my laptop last night and got a little bit done with virtual machines. I upgraded the kernel on my laptop, which got stuck making modules. So, I interrupted it, forgot it didn't work and restarted. "Modules.dep not found", whoo. Sure, this would be easy to just chroot into the install, but the hard drive is encrypted. I had to boot the Arch disk, figure out how to load the encrypted drive, activate the LVM, mount the drives, chroot into the actual install and then reinstall the kernel. Oops.

For virtual machines, I'm going to separate my Icinga and MySQL server. I have the MySQL server created, but not installed, and the Icinga server is ready to go after I configure it.

Back