• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Eh, 192gb wasn't cutting it.

256gb_1.JPG

256gb_2.JPG

256gb_3.JPG

256gb_4.png

Code:
[thideras@ruby ~]$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       264530672 kB
MemFree:        261531996 kB
1/4 TB :cool:

And yes, each memory module has a temperature sensor on it.

Exactly like that, except replacing the light with fan noise.

needs non volatile ram so you can install the OS on the ram slap a 7970 in there and pwn pcm05 ;D

hes got more ram that i have data stored in all my computers combined lol! well maybe not all, but atleast my main and my server

12 core Magny Cours is about the last upgrade I can do to this board. I wish I could overclock, though. Then I'd get better coolers and really push the processors.

My Icinga server has been yelling at me for the past few days because my secondary RAID 10 made of 1tb Hitachi drives has 243gb free (>90% usage). I need to look at doing incremental backups or snapshots instead of my lazy way (bzip archives).

Either that or add more hard drives. I do have 9x 750gb drives that are sitting on a shelf.

I'll probably have some free time after the semester finishes, which is basically the end of this week.

I found this thread yesterday and have read it all in the past two days.

I can not comprehend the awesomeness contained herein.

I applaud you, thideras. I applaud you.

Thank you! I do put far too much time into this project sometimes. :D

Thideras,

Due to this thread i've registered on here initially just to say thank you for the highly interesting read over the past 2 days (kept on coming back when i've had time).

I'll not go into my activities, but i'm returning to the geek world after years away from it and this thread has inspired me a hell of a lot!

Best of luck and keep it going!

MJ

Hello mj, glad to have you on the forums! I'm glad I could inspire someone and look forward to having you here. :)

Corey, what do you use these awesome servers for? Specially Fortran, Cobol and Java. I understand Ruby is the file server / main VM host. Are the other two for tinkering / more VMs for training? Or have they got a special goal?

BTW, you must update the OP. You no longer have the mortal amount of 64GB RAM. You now have the godly amount of 256GB RAM. :D

I'll probably update it this weekend if I get my work project done. Fortran and Cobol are mostly idle (due to the low amount of memory), but I mainly use them for processing nodes. One of them will soon be running a RadioReference virtual machine, which will make it easier to administrate remotely. Now that school is done, I'll have more time to tinker with them.

Back