• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You made me laugh, I admit.
Turns out it was delivered via UPS, you were right! I have pictures, as well.

rackable_omnistar_arrived_1.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_2.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_3.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_4.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_5.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_6.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_7.JPG

rackable_omnistar_arrived_8.JPG

Only his neckbeard is banned I assume.

So uhh... are you planning to fill those empty hard drive bays?
I have 8x 1.5 TB drives ready to go in and 3x 500 GB drives I can also put in.

Is that in addition to the Norco 4020 full of hard drives?

I took a brief search on the front page and didn't see your power configuration. Have you upgraded the house wiring (20A lines?) to the server rack?

Is that in addition to the Norco 4020 full of hard drives?

I took a brief search on the front page and didn't see your power configuration. Have you upgraded the house wiring (20A lines?) to the server rack?
These drives would be in addition to what it currently has, so it will have a total of 38.5 TB (25 + 13.5) raw disk space in a few minutes. I have the Rackables unit installed in the rack, and I just need to put these drives in their trays.

Drives are installed and running. I interpreted the port labels backwards and plugged the "in" port of the expander to the "in" port of the card in the server. That doesn't work so well. Rebooted the server because the disks weren't detected and it never came back up. Went down to see what was wrong and it was complaining about the SAS topology being wrong. First, I thought it was either not compatible with my RAID card/expander card or broken. Then I realized that I might have plugged it into the wrong port. Switched it, rebooted, and it came up fine.

Not only are the disks visible and working fine, I can see information about the Omnistar and the RAID card is able to power down the drives. I'm impressed.

rackables_omnistar_drivesinstalled1.png

rackables_omnistar_drivesinstalled2.png

rackables_omnistar_drivesinstalled3.png

I'm still trying to decide on how I want to setup the file server. I will need to put the M1015 in, which is an easy decision. I could go with ZFS, but I'm not sure how I'd set that up. I could do different pools for the different disk sizes, but I could just do a whole bunch of 3 drive vdevs, which are easily upgradeable. Decisions, decisions.

Drives are installed and running. I interpreted the port labels backwards and plugged the "in" port of the expander to the "in" port of the card in the server. That doesn't work so well. Rebooted the server because the disks weren't detected and it never came back up. Went down to see what was wrong and it was complaining about the SAS topology being wrong. First, I thought it was either not compatible with my RAID card/expander card or broken. Then I realized that I might have plugged it into the wrong port. Switched it, rebooted, and it came up fine.

Not only are the disks visible and working fine, I can see information about the Omnistar and the RAID card is able to power down the drives. I'm impressed.

View attachment 126321

View attachment 126322

View attachment 126323

I'm still trying to decide on how I want to setup the file server. I will need to put the M1015 in, which is an easy decision. I could go with ZFS, but I'm not sure how I'd set that up. I could do different pools for the different disk sizes, but I could just do a whole bunch of 3 drive vdevs, which are easily upgradeable. Decisions, decisions.

the tough thing for me about ZFS is if I want to expand the array. While that's certainly fairly easy to do by adding more vdevs, it also means new data is no longer really striped across the entire pool but mostly the new vdevs until the pool data is evened out. you almost need to start big so you never have this issue.

vdevs of mirrors (and only mirrors) is what you want for performance.

Last edited:
the tough thing for me about ZFS is if I want to expand the array. While that's certainly fairly easy to do by adding more vdevs, it also means new data is no longer really striped across the entire pool but mostly the new vdevs until the pool data is evened out. you almost need to start big so you never have this issue.

vdevs of mirrors (and only mirrors) is what you want for performance.
Does it load balance only new data or does it migrate slowly to the other disks?

-------

We've been having (am having?) an ice storm, which has thankfully kept the power on for nearly the entire time. Up until sometime earlier today, the power went out, and the firewall power supply decided to commit suicide.

So to get internet working when I got home, I ran a Corsiar power supply up the firewall's butt.
firewall_psu_2013-04-11_1.JPG

Also, the Brocade Silkworm 200e fiber switch arrived.
brocade200e_arrived.JPG

Back