• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also wouldn't add it for a home pool unless you were doing tremendous amounts of I/O on it.

I'm not selling it on here because I'm not willing to ship it.

Wait, does this mean Rackmount Overkill is dead?
Nah, I'm just getting a smaller one. Having to move a 42u rack around is getting old. Just got moved into the new place (well, still unpacking) and fired up the internet for the first time. No rack right now, but I'm looking at ordering a 16u or 24u one shortly. I'd do the 24u, but the depth that I need is out of stock.

So you're keeping the systems, just not the rack itself, right?

It would be a sad day if Rackmount Overkill was no more.

So you're keeping the systems, just not the rack itself, right?

It would be a sad day if Rackmount Overkill was no more.
All the servers are staying, except for "Ballast" and the UPS that never got used. Those are at an electronics recycler. Ruby and AWK are with me right now, but powered down since I'm still unpacking in the new place. I "don't have a rack" at the moment, but I will be ordering one once I get everything done. Should be later today or tomorrow. I'm making a lot more progress than I thought I would.

The new Cisco 6500 wireless router is really nice, but it should be considering how much I paid for it.

Last edited:
Yea, I want an 802.11ac router since I recently acquired an 802.11ac adapter for our HTPC but can't bring myself to pay for one.

All the servers are staying, except for "Ballast" and the UPS that never got used. Those are at an electronics recycler. Ruby and AWK are with me right now, but powered down since I'm still unpacking in the new place. I "don't have a rack" at the moment, but I will be ordering one once I get everything done. Should be later today or tomorrow. I'm making a lot more progress than I thought I would.

The new Cisco 6500 wireless router is really nice, but it should be considering how much I paid for it.

I was wondering how that router performed.

Also, didn't Cisco sell Linksys to Belkin?

Last edited:
Not sure, but it certainly says Cisco on the router.

Weird, oh well. I have the E3000, but it likes to drop the signal more often than I care to deal with; might have to pick one of these up sooner or later.

To get back on topic, does the new place have a closet area to put this in?

I could probably fit it in the closet, they are huge. Circulation would be the problem. I have a location picked out already, but I have to wait until the new rack arrives.

Check out this wicked awesome network setup. Base internet works and my desktop is back online with a shoddily laid CAT5e cable under duct tape, which runs across the apartment. pfSense has been reinstalled, but I need to reconfigure it before the servers come back up. The wireless router is still running a barebones configuration, which I should be able to fix later today.

DSC_0008.JPG

Aww yeah :cool:

Back