• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is not enough suspense or confusion in this thread. So:

Ruby and SED (r510) are going away. Bye bye.

hE7126EB7

I finally got the scanner feed for my county up and running, if you want to hear how boring South Dakota is. It has been up for 25 minutes and there has been a total of one transmission for roughly two seconds.

I started reading this thread ages ago, just stumbled on it again yesterday.

If working in a datacenter didn't already make me want a rack of my own, well re-reading your thread sure as hell does!

Why did ruby have to go, space constraints?

I know it's nothing special but I picked up a rackmount power bar today :p

Just finished reading the thread, loving the project so far :D storage and servers are a few of my favourite things

Quick question though, apologies if it's been asked already and I've missed it:

Does the LSI 8708EM2 see 2TB+ drives? I'm planning on building an 8-drive array using either that or a Dell Perc 5/6 card, 4TB drives and Linux software RAID. Won't be using the RAID capabilities of the cards, just using them to provide relatively cheap HBA/expansion services.

Keep up the server p0rn :)

I believe it is limited to 2 TB per disk and I don't have one to test or I'd try it out. It isn't directly stated in the documentation, but it says 32 disks with a maximum size of 64 TB. I believe it has a hard limitation of 3 TB per disk. The Perc 5/6 are ancient. Don't bother with something that old. However, none of these easily pass through single disks.

For software RAID, you just need the disks attached to the machine, so using the on board SATA ports is perfectly acceptable. If you were running more than eight drives, I'd suggest getting the M1015 and flashing it to the IT firmware to pass through the drives. You could combine that with a SAS expander (such as the HP one for a bunch of internal drives or an Omnistor for external) to run a bunch of drives off a single card.

I believe it is limited to 2 TB per disk and I don't have one to test or I'd try it out.
Damn. Is 2TB the limit you'd be going up to with your current file server? If you're planning to upgrade to >2TB disks I'd love to hear your results.

The Perc 5/6 are ancient. Don't bother with something that old. However, none of these easily pass through single disks.
Aww, I was attracted by the bargain basement prices you can get these for :(

Thanks for your help, though, guess I'll try the M1015 or keep looking :)

Damn. Is 2TB the limit you'd be going up to with your current file server? If you're planning to upgrade to >2TB disks I'd love to hear your results.
I'm no longer using the 8708EM2 and it will likely be sold shortly. I have no disks big enough to try on it, so I couldn't test this for you. I don't have any plans to go with anything larger than what I have unless I see a good deal come up. That is how this project works. :)

I wait for good deals and get parts cheaply. I paid $70/e for my 2 TB drives new and $40/e for my 1.5 TB drives.

Server has not arrived, but I believe it will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, please enjoy Project Desktop Overkill, wherein I have two external monitors hooked up to the laptop and want to add a fourth (because I can, that's why). I'm effectively retiring my desktop for everything except gaming, at this point. School is starting up very soon, and having my files in a central location is convenient.

Speaking of which, Office 365 is pretty sweet. It is like Google Docs for your desktop. A lot of school stuff requires me to work with Word, and I didn't have a (recent) license for Office outside of work, so I picked it up. I was worried that it was online only, and it is not. It is the normal install of Office along with integrated into ~~The Cloud~~.

DSC_0208.JPG

Looks like it contained another R710. Neat!

r710_second_front.JPG

r710_second_back.JPG

This one is slightly different than the other one. This has 8x Seagate Savvio 10K.3 disks, the H700 RAID card, and 24gb of RAM. The latter will get swapped out when I switch to that hardware, but I'm using it in the meantime.
r710_second_inside1.JPG

r710_second_inside2.JPG

I also got this card a few days ago, which is an internal SAS to external SAS connector for the SAS bay that I will be using. I could have got a cable from Monoprice for under half the cost of this, but if the cable were to get caught on something, it would be plugged directly into the RAID card, which would probably break it.
r710_second_sas_card.JPG

All that was left was to put the processors in it, fire it up, and make sure that everything is working.
r710_second_stress_testing.JPG

r710_second_front1.JPG

r710_second_front2.JPG

Nice :thup: Does the faceplate from the R510 fit or would you have to get a new one?
I'm including the faceplate with the R510, so I'll have to get another one.

I got everything switched over to the new server and the hard drives are in the SAS expander. However, I have one disk that is randomly clicking, but I'm fairly sure that I've narrowed it down to the exact one having problems. Tomorrow, I can fire up the old server and copy the file server virtual machine to the new system, reconfigure the PCI passthrough, and everything should work.

Fired up the servers this morning to get the operating system migrated and found out that I can't join them to move the virtual machines. I get "This server's hardware is incompatible with the master's".

2013-08-21 11_23_47-Create New Pool.png

Understanding Heterogeneous CPU Pooling in XenServer 5.6
To ensure successful live virtual machine migrations, XenServer 5.5 and earlier hosts were only allowed to join a pool if they had identical CPU vendor, model number, family, and feature flag values.
Basically, the processors are too different for it to allow me to join them. I didn't know this was A Thing. I'm going to attempt a Clonezilla backup/restore to see if that allows me to migrate it.

Back