Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

Ad-aware--Is it worth installing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 11:53 AM Thread Starter   #1
sirjinx1974

Ad-aware--Is it worth installing?

Some spy-ware programs install spy-ware on your computer and some do not. Does this program have anything that is fishy about it? I see a lot of people talk about it and how it works good. Does this program also run along with windows and prevent spy-ware from installing on your computer? Would this program slow down my computer any? Thank you.
sirjinx1974 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-04, 11:59 AM   #2
Turd Furguson

Ad-aware will not install spyware.

Ad-ware only removes the spyware.
Spybot Search and Destory has a immunize feature that supposedly will prevent it.

Ad-aware will not slow down your pc.

Old 06-18-04, 12:10 PM Thread Starter   #3
sirjinx1974

Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-18-04, 12:21 PM   #4
nahmus

yes adaware is worth installing. I use it all the time and it does a nice job. spybot S&D also works well and using them both is a good way to keep things clean

Old 06-18-04, 12:38 PM Thread Starter   #5
sirjinx1974

This spy-ware, what does it do? Can spy-ware track my computer and posibly steel some of my passwords and things? I do not know much about it. Possibly, could you point me in a direction so I can read and learn about spy-ware and what it does and how it works?
Old 06-18-04, 12:52 PM   #6
Vio1

id say its worth installing.. have it installed on my pc all the time.

Old 06-18-04, 02:11 PM   #7
Mushudo
Registered

spyware usually collects personal information and such. i guess it could get passwords if it was made that way
Mushudo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-04, 02:21 PM   #8
stan03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjinx1974
This spy-ware, what does it do? Can spy-ware track my computer and posibly steel some of my passwords and things? I do not know much about it. Possibly, could you point me in a direction so I can read and learn about spy-ware and what it does and how it works?
http://www.spychecker.com/spyware.html
http://www.spywareguide.com/term_list.php
stan03 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-04, 08:48 PM   #9
kosnosferatu

i use adaware almost daily. i update and check more or less each day. its good. i remember doing it on my friends computer that had never been searched for spyware before and tehre were over 600!! lol.
kosnosferatu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-04, 08:56 PM   #10
Kendan
Senior Punk

Old 06-18-04, 08:57 PM   #11
madman22

i dont use any type of spyware remover software, yeah i know i have spyware, but when it gets too much, i just reformat. it saves me a lot of time

8gb GSkill 1600
2xVertex4-RAID0
madman22 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-04, 09:14 PM   #12
s[H]sIkuA

i currently dont have internet access but i still install it anyway since some prog comes with spyware
s[H]sIkuA is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-04, 05:30 AM   #13
Calculusaurus

lol, how are you posting then =P just kidding; you're likely on another computer at the moment .. yadda yadda yadda..

i don't download adaware because i don't download things with spyware. i'm preeettttttttyy sure that things like ati catalyst drivers or ut2k4 patches don't have spyware =P Though if you suspect you do have spyware (which i'm sure i will given a few months) then adaware is a rock solid program.
Calculusaurus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-04, 12:11 PM   #14
Kendan
Senior Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculusaurus
lol, how are you posting then =P just kidding; you're likely on another computer at the moment .. yadda yadda yadda..

i don't download adaware because i don't download things with spyware. i'm preeettttttttyy sure that things like ati catalyst drivers or ut2k4 patches don't have spyware =P Though if you suspect you do have spyware (which i'm sure i will given a few months) then adaware is a rock solid program.
Do you browse the web? If so download adaware and run it I bet your machine is crawling with adware and stuff

Old 06-19-04, 12:19 PM   #15
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson

Ad-aware will not slow down your pc.
If you have a very old PC and use Add-aware's Add on program called ADD-Watch, it may slow you down a tad, but Add-aware like Turd stated doesn't slow you down and is worth installing.

If you install it, let us know how many spyware programs it finds

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-04, 12:31 PM   #16
stan03

Quote:

ya like kendan said you get adaware just from using the internet. i download no cracks or illegal stuff, actually basically the only thing i download on the computer in my sig is omega drivers. (usually i download stuff on my old computer and then send it to my computer) When i run adaware i still usually get some spyware stuff just from the web... usually in the form of cookies. i can guarantee that if you just even use the internet you have spyware on your computer.
Old 06-19-04, 12:37 PM   #17
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Quote:

Like Kendan said, if you browse the web, especially if you use IE... You have a lot of spyware on that machine.

BTW, Adaware also has an immunize feature I believe, you just have to actually pay for the program to get the immunize function.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-04, 12:42 PM   #18
radium

I love it, adaware 6.0 has gotten rid of about 1000 instances of spyware, mostly cookies, but some nasty nasty force downloads.

P182 case
150 Raptor OS/Games
250 Seagate storage
Asus P5Q pro

Waiting on the vid cooler to come in before OC's ^_^
radium is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-04, 12:43 PM   #19
stan03

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOG
Like Kendan said, if you browse the web, especially if you use IE... You have a lot of spyware on that machine.

BTW, Adaware also has an immunize feature I believe, you just have to actually pay for the program to get the immunize function.
what is that supposed to do? i have the professional version but i don't see what you are talking about
Old 06-19-04, 12:59 PM   #20
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Stop future re-installations on certain things.

BTW, I guess I should mention that I have no confirmation of this feature in Adaware, but I have heard others mention that it is there in paid-for version.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications