• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pete_scout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

Team Mates,
Quite a few of us know that Pete Scout was one of the all time great folders for Team 32. He spent a lot of time on the forums and was one of the most patient mentors on the team. He dropped out of the Team 32 scene in December 2007. I've known in my heart for some time that Pete was no longer with us. I last spoke with him in November 2007, shortly after he told me that he had cancer. At the time he asked me not to tell anyone, that his treatments seemed to be working and that he'd tell everyone when he was ready. Little did he know how true to my word I'd be. Today I learned that less than two months after that conversation, Pete passed away.
When the chimp challenge is over, I'm going to make Pete the #1 producer on the team, as a tribute. You're welcome to join me and try to make him the #1 producer in the world for a day.

Charlie

Oh man, I've been missing him, but I just figured he drifted away, got caught behind in the tech race, or some other reason. Man, this is sad.

Pete was a good man. He even offered up a board and CPU when I had a board crash around the same time you had last spoken with him. After the CC is over I am donating all of my folding power to his memory for one week.

R.I.P. Pete. You will be missed and remembered by us all at T32.

Last edited:
It's a shame that we even lose people from our own ranks. All the more reason to fold on.

Have we any way to contact his family? Maybe do something nice for them? If nothing else, just a card or note saying we miss pete_scout and valued his place here.

I'll donate as much of my folding power as I can to your tribute, Chas, before or after the Rosetta rally. One way or the other, I'd be honoured to help with a tribute to one we've lost.

Pete was one of the all time good guys.:beer:

You can hear him talking about folding with Chasr on one of the first podcasts.

Thanks for informing us Chas.

Pete you made the world and the OC forums a better place.

Pete's name will not be gray any more...I would consider it an honor to keep
His candle lit after our tribute to him.

Last edited:
Good people live on thru their love for others.

I will be proud to add to a supernova tribute!

Pete mentored me on performance folding and even sent me a series of BIOS screenshots(here's one) to help me understand the "in & outs" of Intel overclocking. I was interested in his Folding farm sized (ie multi cpu) cooling loop., which may have gone unfinished.

His willingness and enthusiasm to help, as well as his upbeat personal style will never be forgotten; 'tis what made Pete who he was.

I'll be folding for Pete in tribute, you can count on that.

One final personal note: Pete always signed his PMs with:

Cheers,
Pete

I liked that.

Here's to you Pete- :attn:

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, he did always sign his PM's that way. I may even still have a couple floating around in my inbox. I will be thinking of Pete everytime I put even 1 more MHz to the cause.

He always seemed to have a positive outlook on life. Even when he did post up to tell us he would be taking some time away, he made it sound like it would only be a short time to get some RL things back in order. He was an asset to this team. Not by his massive PPD (considering the hardware of the time) but by his willingness to do anything to help out a fellow folder. It almost seemed that he was willing to bend over backwards to help someone out.

Last edited:
This is hard for me to really even reply to about as reading the reply's was hard enough so I will just say in my own words. You for sure will be missed, and well see you in a better place next time.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

One of your members (ihrsetrdr) replied in our Forum, and I taught it would be fitting to do the same here.

I'm a member of HWC, and knew Peter for quite a while - surely not as long as some members here, but I'm certain that he had the same influence on you that he did on me. I invite you to read the following link to HWC: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...tarting-may-14th-hwcs-tribute-pete_scout.html.

ChasR and I went through the same feelings at the same time that Peter stopped posting, and folding. I can confirm that Peter died January 8th 2008, of Lung Cancer.

His name, passion and influence on the other Forums members will never be forgotten.

We too at HWC have started folding in his name, under the Folding_for_pscout addy (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=450852). We hope that his name reaches the higher levels of Folding again. We strongly support your own endeavour, since you guys were his Team, but as he once mentionned we were is Home.

Keep on Folding, gents. We miss you Peter.

Cheers,
John

Last edited:
I miss Pete and reading this thread and the other at HWC made me cry. I plan to join the rest of you folding for Pete at the conclusion of the chimp challenge.

I wonder if Pete's bio still exists in forum archives? I wen't looking for it but couldn't find it. It would be nice to republish it.

Last edited:
Back