• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on Power Protection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gear.h34d.2012

Hey guys, hope everyone is well today. I was just wondering what you all think about appropriate power protection. I have several buds of mine who swear by it, and some who've been running in the Power PC world for years without it. My first build is as follows (still under construction)

CASE: Antec 1200
CPU Intel Core i7-960 3.2GHZ
COOLING: Coolermaster V8
MEMORY: 8GB (4x2) Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz
MOBO: EVGA X58 SLI LE
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 Super OC.
PSU: Corsair HX850W PSU
BOOT: Intel X25-V 40GB SSD
APPLICATIONS: 150GB Raptor 10000RPM
STORAGE: 1TB WD Caviar Black 7200RPM

Anyways, the wiring on my floor of the house isn't so great, but the house is grounded. So thanks again for your opinions on the matter.

~B

I like clean power so I use a surge protector/power conditioner combo. There are low cost units like Tripp-lite, belkin or monster that can be used for both HT and computers. Some people look at line conditioners as snake oil but I dont care. They work for me.

Buddy of mine recommended this to me. What do you think? Too much?
Where is a spec number that says anything about power protection? Where are each number that discusses each type of surge and protection from that surge?

I have a UPS with similar specification numbers. In battery backup mode, this 120 volt UPS outputs two 200 volt square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts between those square waves. Is that clean power? It has the same specs. View those numbers. Is that really clean power? Or just what friends were told is clean power?

A 270 volt spike is made irrelevant because electronics already contain superior protection. Anything that Cyberpower might do is already required and exists inside electronics. Exists so that some of the dirtiest power (when a UPS is powered from its battery) will not harm any electronics.

My UPS with similar specs costs $60. How much was that Cyberpower?

Your concern is the rare transient that can overwhelm protection inside eery appliance. A surge that will pass right through a UPS unimpeded. An event that may occur maybe once every seven years. And that may take out any of 100 household appliances. One effective protector protects every appliance including the bathroom and kitchen GFCIs, furnace, and clock radios. Most educated only by retail salesmen will not know any of this.

An effective surge protector costs about $1 per protected appliance.

You must decide what you want to protect. If unsaved data needs protection, the you need that UPS. If hardware must be protected from a rare and destructive surges, then a 'whole house' protector must be earthed.

Your choice. There is no one solution for everything - contradicting a majority who recommend without even viewing those spec numbers. Your Cyberpower has only one function. To provide temporay power so that unsaved data can be saved. Anything else that sales brochure claims ... did they forget to mention it is near zero? Near zero means a sales brochure can claim it is 100%.

What exactly do you want to solve? Then a minority who actually know this stuff can make recommendations that may cost tens or 100 times less money. Look. Your answer is in spec numbers - not in a friend's feelings. If you want surge protection, well, protection is always about where energy dissipates. Did anyone discuss where energy dissipates? If not, then that person does not even know what a surge protector is supposed to do. Most only know what is promoted on retail shelves.

Most educated only by retail salesmen will not know any of this.

Well, I AM a retail salesman, rofl. Irony.

Anyhoo, back on topic. That was very informative, and has been noted. Thanks for all of the information. Appreciate it bro.

~B

15 Years with computers. Never used a surge protector. One house I lived in didn't even have a 3 pronged power outlet (grounded). I could feel a tingle when I touched the PC case. I think surge protection is a bunch of hoodoo. Now, battery back ups I can understand, but have never been necessary for me.

I don't turn on a computer without surge protection, when i was growing up in the back woods (sorta) PSUs had a mighty short lifespan till we got a surge protector.

On the plus side, Apple ][+ power supplies do a wonderful job of sacrificing themselves to protect the rest of the computer.

I had a lightning strike nearby my house when I was using my computer. The lights blinked and all that stuff. The computer stayed on and was fine but the modem never worked after that. It must have gotten it from the phone line.

Using only knowledge from elementary school science, that conclusion is obvious 'hooey'. How does electricity work? First current is same everywhere - simultaneously - in the path. Electricity does not blow out one side of a modem and then stop. Only the weakest component in that path fails.

A modem failed. Therefore it must have come from the phone line? Total BS directly traceable to wild speculation. Only possible if one forgets how electricity works. Only conclusion is that a surge current was incoming and outgoing through that modem. You have no facts - only wild speculation - to say from which direction a surge came.

Meanwhile, why would a surge ignored a telco earthed 'whole house' protector? Obviously you never learned what has existed longer than you. A fact you should know before jumping to conclusions bases only on speculation. Your modem failure is typical of a surge incoming on AC mains - then outgoing to earth ground via the telco 'whole house' protector. Same protector you did not even know about.

Telephone appliance damage is mostly from surges incoming on AC mains. Damage is most often on the phone line side of modems, answering machines, portable phone base stations, etc. Why? Because that is the weakest link in the path to earth ground. And because a best path to earth ground is destructively via telephone appliances. Telephone appliance damage is typical when the homeowner has let energy inside the building. And made easier if that homeowner then wastes money on plug-in protectors.

Telephone appliance protection means energy does not enter the building. It does not enter when the phone line 'whole house' protector is properly earthed. Destructively energy most often enters via AC electric - wires that are highest on utility poles. Wires that are most often struck. Wires that carry surges easily to every appliance.

Did you know phone lines already have superior surge protection? Most who are only trained by retail sales myths never learn such common knowledge. Another example of learning facts before using wild speculation to make a conclusion. The most common source of surges (that typically occur maybe once every seven years) is AC electric. All other incoming wires are required to have surge protection (that is only as effective as an earth ground that the homeowner is required to provide).

Modem most often destroyed by surges incoming on AC mains. How many surge damaged modems have you analyzed, repaired and they never failed again? Why no failures? Because we also solved the problem – a ‘whole house’ protector was also installed on AC mains.

BTW, makes no difference whether the computer was on or off. That millimeters inside a switch does not stop what three miles of sky could not stop.

I'm with Bobnova, none of my pc's get used without some sort of surge protection. After cooking 3 tv's in one year, even they are on surge protectors.

Yes, I'm kinda in the boonies.

Using only knowledge from elementary school science, that conclusion is obvious 'hooey'.
Obviously you never learned what has existed longer than you.
Another example of learning facts before using wild speculation to make a conclusion.

Um wescom, while informative information is always welcome here you really need to work on your delivery. That last post really came across as talking down to a fellow OCF member. OK you get electricity, fine. But looking at your other posts its clear that’s all you really care about. Joined 8/09 and in 8 months only contributed to surge protector threads. Either stay, learn and educate in a civil way or move on permanently.

Um wescom, while informative information is always welcome here you really need to work on your delivery. That last post really came across as talking down to a fellow OCF member. OK you get electricity, fine. But looking at your other posts its clear that’s all you really care about. Joined 8/09 and in 8 months only contributed to surge protector threads. Either stay, learn and educate in a civil way or move on permanently.

+1

Back to OP question, I usually have surge protectors on the equipment I care most about and the most expensive. Otherwise whatever I don't need plugged in, I just unplug them. I'd suggest getting one for your computer so you can have a little peace of mind.

The wiring wasn't great at my old place as well, I'm gonna take a guess that something like the house fuse blew and it took out about $800 worth of appliances but I had the landlord pay me back for all the damages :p. Coincidentally, I had the computers unplugged for dusting.

Last edited:
Back to OP question, I usually have surge protectors on the equipment I care most about and the most expensive. Otherwise whatever I don't need plugged in, I just unplug them. I'd suggest getting one for your computer so you can have a little peace of mind.
A plug-in protector is the opposite of 'peace of mind'. It does nothing to protection an adjacent device. Instead it can even give a surge more destructive paths through adjacent electronics. And it has another problem that most fire departments have seen. Scary pictures:
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=556&parent=554
http://www.ddxg.net/old/surge_protectors.htm
http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html
http://tinyurl.com/3x73ol
http://www3.cw56.com/news/articles/local/BO63312/
http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/news/lesson-learned/surgeprotectorfire.htm
http://www.pennsburgfireco.com/fullstory.php?58339

Another reason for learning the science and to stop listen to myths: plug-in protectors need protection only provided by properly earthed protection.

There exist zero informed reasons to use a plug-in protector. Why would one spend tens or 100 times more money for something that the manufacturer's own specification does not even claim to protect? Not one person has provides a spec that claims protection for one simple reason. No plug-in protector even claims that protection. Plug-in protectors provide 'apprehension' if one learns from those scary pictures, has traced damage to electronics because and adjacent protector earthed a surge through power off electronics, learn why high reliability facilities do not waste money on those protectors, and ... where is that manufacturer spec that claims any surge protection? Nobody has provided it because even the manufacturer does not and cannot claim any such protection. One needs not even basic electrical knowledge to see that reality.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Those scary pictures further demonstrate the problem. Plug-in protectors do not have the always necessary short connection to earth. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. No way around that reality - except if myth and lies provide "peace of mind".

Thus far, westom, you've made quite a number of far-reaching statements with no supporting references, "scary pictures" aside.

Documents supporting the efficacy of surge-suppression equipment:

Notes:

• Any electrical device which is not grounded according to the manufacturer's specifications or is overloaded can present a fire hazard.
  • An ungrounded surge suppressor is of little benefit. Better quality surge suppressors and UPS units will have ground fault indicators.
  • More sophisticated UPS units provide Automatic Voltage Regulation as well as protection against transient voltage spikes. Computer power supplies are not capable of addressing extended voltage drops, as they don't have batteries to draw upon.
  • Every major data center in service today makes extensive use of UPS equipment. The professionals running these centers do not spend money spuriously, or they'd no longer be in business.

Variability in Power Environments:

In an ideal world, utility power is reliable and consistent. In the real world, especially the developing world, it is neither. Without a means to ensure consistent power, daily brownouts, large voltage spikes (200V+) and sudden outages take a huge toll on expensive electronics.

Extreme weather events, heavy load periods and other factors can also result in problems with power systems in developed countries. Although these events are still infrequent, it's better to be prepared.

Ancillary Issues:

Power outages and brownouts can only be effectively mitigated through the employment of a UPS unit. If you're doing lengthy tasks, you cannot afford to have your system go down.

Unexpected power outages can destroy mechanical hard drives due to head crashing.

Apocryphal Evidence:

Our company builds and sells roughly 75 computers per year; we've been in business for over 10 years; do the math. Any system NOT plugged into a UPS here is warranty void. No exceptions.

I've seen more than ample firsthand evidence of the efficacy of surge suppression units. Basically, appliances (computers included) NOT plugged into a surge suppressor during a major transient surge fry, while appliances plugged into surge suppression units are fine. Many times, I've seen this phenomena side-by-side in the same home or office after a major surge. Sure, the surge suppressor is cooked in the process, but that's simply because it's doing its job.

While I don't make a habit of making pictures of equipment fried by transient voltage surges, I've seen some pretty cool exploded ICs and caps on everything from PSUs to Hard drives.

Conclusion:

I've mixed issues a bit here, with perhaps insufficient distinction being made between simple surge suppression units and UPS units. I trust the readers here will be able to understand the difference between the two.

The purchase of a UPS is like insurance. Weigh the risks and decide whether or not you wish to gamble with your data and/or system.

Last edited:
Documents supporting the efficacy of surge-suppression equipment:
I could literally double the number of posts with facts exposing those posted myths as bogus or incomplete. For example, HowStuffWorks is so full of myths and outright lies that criticisms hardly get past page one. Anyone with basic electrical knowledge would never cite HowStuffWorks. But most who recommend plug-in protectors only have English major education. If something is written, then it must be true? Too many 'experts' forgot to first learn the science. And never provide the always necessary tech numbers.

For example, where is the manufacturer spec numbers for anything he claims? Manufacturer does not even claim what he is posting.

Some of the many obvious and gross errors in HowStuffWorks:
http://tinyurl.com/2fy7u
http://tinyurl.com/yqyah
http://tinyurl.com/3bn64

The pathetic integrity of HowStuffWorks is also discussed by the technically educated in Wikipedia discussions for the topic "Surge Protector". More sources that define HowStuffWorks as bogus.

With a long citation full of confusing or distorted facts, only some will be discussed. To refute them all would be tedious. Just refuting a few with multiple reasons makes this post how long?

Moving on to another citation he forgot to read. His NIST.gov citation, says exactly what I have posted repeatedly:
> You cannot really suppress a surge altogether, nor "arrest" it. What these protective devices
> do is neither suppress nor arrest a surge, but simply divert it to ground, where it
> can do no harm.

Plug-in protectors have no earth ground. For a long list of reasons already provide, and from the National Electrical code, that wall receptacle safety (equipment) ground is not earth ground. See that 'ground ' indicator on the protector? Remove the building's earth ground. Or put that protector in a building that is missing its earth ground. And that light will still report 'ground' as OK. It only reports on safety ground; not on earth ground. To get English majors to believe myths, they tell him all grounds are same. Total nonsense that only an English major would fall for.

If all grounds were same, then a lightning rod could be connected to motherboard 'earth' ground. Of course not. A computer's ground is digital ground - also not earth ground - no matter how English sentences get respun into myths.

A plug-in protector has no earth ground. And then that his NIST citation says why plug-in protectors are so ineffective. Another paragraph he forgot to read:
> A very important point to keep in mind is that your surge protector will work by
> diverting the surges to ground. The best surge protection in the world can be useless
> if grounding is not done properly.

I only describe plug-in protectors as ineffective. The NIST is blunter. NIST calls them useless.

Citing APC as a responsible source is akin to citing the superintendent of a torture chamber as proof that torture does not exist.

Cited in www.eeel.nist.gov is a Dr Martzloff 1979 paper discussing how MOVs work. Nothing in that paper says anything about plug-in protectors. In fact, Figure 8 why the 'whole house' protector works. Says nothing about plug-in protectors. Effective protection in that paper shows no lightning damage if a surge is properly earthed to single point earth ground - at the breaker box and electric meter. His 1979 IEEE paper defines only what I have been saying.

Meanwhile, his post forgets to include Dr Martzloff's 1994 paper that discusses damage created by plug-in (point of connection) protectors. Yes, damage because a protector is too close to the appliance and too far from earth ground. Martzloff's first conclusion is damning - identifies plug-in protectors as wasted money:
> Conclusion:
> 1) Quantitative measurements in the Upside-Down house clearly show objectionable difference in
> reference voltages. These occur even when or perhaps because, surge protective devices are
> present at the point of connection of appliances.
Objectionable voltages are the reason for appliance damage.

Why would someone waste tens or 100 times more money on a plug-in protectors when even manufacturer's specs do not claim protection? This poster did not even read his NIST citation that defines such protectors as "useless". Ignored the most relevant IEEE (eeel.nist.gov) paper from Dr Martzloff that describes appliance damage because of a plug-in protector.

Let's assume this is true:
> Any electrical device which is not grounded according to the manufacturer's specifications
> or is overloaded can present a fire hazard.

So how many TVs are overloaded or present fire hazards? No TVs are grounded. That safety ground does nothing to avert overloading. Anyone with basic electrical knowledge knows safety ground do nothing to avert overloading. Only a fuse or circuit breaker trips during an overload - and without any ground. Most every reader here knows that. Why does an English major not even know that simple fact?

Ground does nothing avert fire hazard. Fire due to appliance failure is eliminated by circuit breakers or fuses. My god. That was even stated in a Thomas Edison patent back in the 1800s. This poster does not even know simplest electrical concepts from 120 years ago? If not an English major, well one needs no electrical knowledge to pass the A+ Certified tech examination. Nope. 'English major' technical knowledge is also called propaganda. Anyone can subvert written text into myths by simply ignoring basic science facts. We call that science fiction.

Why do those scary pictures of plug-in protectors exist. Even with grounds, those scary pictures still happen because ground does not avert fire. What averts fire? The fire marshal in those citations defines it: fuses - not grounds.

A typical UPS connects an appliance directly to AC mains. Does not even claim to protect from surges. An informed reader need only read its manufacturer spec numbers. No such protection exists. Which is why data centers that have minimal reliability locate a tens of $thousand UPS within feet of earth ground. That serious UPS is connected short to earth ground to provide more than just battery backup. A $100 UPS only provides battery backup - nothing more. Even its specs claim nothing more. Only an English major would confuse a properly earthed tens of $thousand UPS with a $100 plug-in UPS.

How much can power vary and every computer must work perfectly normal? Incandescent bulbs can dim to 50% intensity - and even that is normal power to all computers. Numbers calculated right out of every manufacturer numeric spec. Numbers - what English majors avoid to promote myths. How often does your electricity vary that much?

A UPS is for an event that threatens only unsaved data - a blackout. Blackouts and voltage variations only cause hardware damage when English major hear a rumor - then know it must be true. All power supplies - even 40 year ago as required by international design standards - had to make voltage variations irrelevant - or simply power off normally. When posting fear, that reality must be ignored or denied.

Disk heads crash when power is lost? More fiction. This poster worked on late 1960s disk drives. Even today, all power off is 'sudden' power off to all drives. When does the disk drive's computer first learn that power is going down? When DC voltages start to drop. No disk drive is told in advance that power will be removed. Even 1960s drives (including one whose heads were moved by motor oil) did not have that warning and did not need it. To a disk drive, all power off (when the computer shuts down or when utility power is lost) look exactly same. Sudden power loss never causes head crashed in the real world.

Too many self proclaimed 'experts' will believe every disaster theory told rather than first learn well proven technology. His post is chock full of myths based mostly in fear and hearsay - especially including that HowStuffWorks citation. Myths, half truths, and lies. So intentionally egregious that nothing less than a blunt reply is acceptable. There is no polite way to respond to a post that denies even the simplest electrical concept - that does not even know what a fuse does.

Google groups are not considered by the scientific community or regulatory agencies as an authoritative source. Furthermore, the statements refuting the efficacy or surge suppression devices are all made by a single user, w_tom whose arguments sound suspiciously like your own.

Please provide authoritative sources with technical documentation and studies to support your position.

Plug-in protectors have no earth ground. For a long list of reasons already provide, and from the National Electrical code, that wall receptacle safety (equipment) ground is not earth ground.

Proper grounding means a 2-3-meter long copper rod in the ground, clamped with a copper wire attached to the ground screw on the breaker panel. This is then attached to the ground wiring throughout the house. This is earth ground. The UPS units we use reliably indicate when this circuit is not present.

I only describe plug-in protectors as ineffective. The NIST is blunter. NIST calls them useless.

The term "useless" does not occur in either of the NIST documents. Furthermore, I disagree with the conclusions you draw from them. Of course, nothing is going to protect from every incident, but a significant level of protection can still be gained from a properly grounded, quality UPS or surge suppressor.

So how many TVs are overloaded or present fire hazards?

hafa said:
Any electrical device which is not grounded according to the manufacturer's specifications or is overloaded can present a fire hazard.

Please read my post carefully: "...according to the manufacturer's specifications" The manufacturers do not specify a ground for TVs.

A typical UPS connects an appliance directly to AC mains. Does not even claim to protect from surges.

This is incorrect. Almost all UPS units provide clear surge suppression specifications in Joules.

Dr Martzloff 1979 paper discussing how MOVs work. Nothing in that paper says anything about plug-in protectors.

The vast majority of UPS and surge suppressors today use MOVs...

Disk heads crash when power is lost? ...To a disk drive, all power off (when the computer shuts down or when utility power is lost) look exactly same. Sudden power loss never causes head crashed in the real world.

This is patently untrue. When a drive is shut down normally, the heads have time to park in a rest position. Disassemble any mechanical drive and you'll see the pads designed expressly for this purpose.

I would respectfully suggest you spend less time attacking the reputation and reliability of those who post views and evidence contrary to your personal beliefs. Your credibility is not enhanced by doing so. The members of this forum will not respect your views until you've backed them up with some hard evidence. Please provide it and then let's discuss the issues in a civil, systematic fashion.

Westom- My surge suppressors on my TV's were on the power company's recommendations. Their delivery systems were marginal, but living out in the boonies, they couldn't justify the cost in upgrading/repairing them. The phone company had the same problem with junk lines and no $ to repair and/or replace.

The grounds were checked by an electrician, and I had him attach the ground to an old well casing that went 120' down (in addition to the ground rod).This was before I cooked TV #3. FWIW, I haven't cooked another TV since using the suppressors and it's been 4 or 5 years.

The way I look at it, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need this stuff. However the world is far from perfect.

I'm no expert, but I do know what's working for me.

Westom- My surge suppressors on my TV's were on the power company's recommendations. Their delivery systems were marginal, but living out in the boonies, they couldn't justify the cost in upgrading/repairing them. The phone company had the same problem with junk lines and no $ to repair and/or replace.
So was it an engineer who recommended it? Or just some customer service agent?

Your phone lines (like all others) already have a 'whole house' protector installed for free. Only the fewer and informed know that protector already exists. But again, that protector is only as effective as an earth ground that you provide. Many electricians only learn how to wire for human safety - the code. Transistor safety means wiring that both meets and exceeds that earthing requirement.

To understand this, you must view (in the basement) what you already have. Find the solid, bare, quarter inch copper wire that goes from breaker box to the earth ground outside (not to be confused with another wire that goes to water pipes). If that wire goes up over the foundation and down to earth, then it meets code. And compromises surge protection. That wire must go through the foundation and down to an earthing electrode. To eliminate sharp bends. To separate it from other non-grounding wires. To make that connection to earth as short as possible. Every foot shorter is critical to better protection.

And then that telephone surge protector also must connect short (ie 'less than 10 feet') to the same earthing electrode.

Cable TV needs no protector. Same surge protection exists when the cable connects directly and as short as possible to that single point ground. Cable needs no protector to connect to earth. Wire does that task better.

In every case, what is necessary to make 'bad' power irrelevant? Earth ground. For example, the cable has complete protection without a protector. But without earth ground, the cable has no protection.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Anyone (especially plug-in protector promoters) who does not discuss this is promoting a scam. To connect energy properly to earth means that ground wire must be short, no sharp wire bends, not inside metallic conduit, etc. All factors that too many electricians never learn. And that ham radio operators, engineers on rocket launch facilities, munitions dumps, telco switching centers, etc all learn.

So how is the earth ground from your panel? The most common source of destructive surges to all appliances is AC electric. Informed homeowners need only one protector - a 'whole house' protector - so that everything is protected even from direct lightning strikes. Only more responsible companies sell effective solutions - which does not include Belkin, APC, Tripplite, or Monster Cable. Responsible companies include General Electric, Intermatic, Polyphaser, Leviton, Siemens, Keison, and Square D. The effective protector from Cutler-Hammer sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

Only a fool would spend $100 for a Monster Cable protector to protect only one appliance. And yet that is what the most electrically naive will recommend - because it costs more and has fancier paint.

Now, above is only secondary protection. Each protection layer is defined by the only items that must exist in every protection system - earth ground. You should inspect your primary surge protection system. An example of what to view:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html

Why do you do this? Hafa's own citations shows how surge protection works. He just never grasped what the IEEE paper was saying. See figure 8. Whereas the typical lightning strike is 20,000 amps, this Dr Martloff's figure 8 shows what happens with a massive (most rare) 100,000 amp surge.
http://www.eeel.nist.gov/817/pubs/spd-anthology/files/Protect techniques.pdf

View in Lowes that minimal Cutler-Hammer 'whole house' protector. It is rated to earth a 50,000 amps surge and remain functional. In figure 8, how large is that surge trying to enter the house? Smaller. An informed homeowner earths only one 'whole house' protector so that even direct lightning strikes cause no damage - do not even damage a protector. This has been routine for 100 years anyplace that surges cannot cause damage.

Notice where most of a surge goes. Into the 'primary' protection system. That is why you inspect it.

Now, you are a single house - maybe at the end of distribution. That means your protection must be even better. A few earthing electrodes should be enhanced into a better single point ground. You might consider a 100,000 amp 'whole house' protector (also sold in some Lowes) that, again, only more responsible companies provide.

One final point. Critical is for all incoming wires and pipes (even buried) to enter at a single point. If you do not have that, then essential is to expand earthing to become a single point ground. One utility demonstrated how this well proven (for over 100 years) solution can be implemented:
http://tinyurl.com/yefm8n9 or
http://www.duke-energy.com/indiana-business/products/power-quality/tech-tip-08.asp

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. If a surge is permitted inside the building, it will hunt for earth ground destructively via appliances. As so many responsible citations demonstrate and as well understood for over 100 years, the protector is only as effective as its earth ground. A reality that has never changed no matter how much sales propaganda tries to pervert the science.

This post is from one who was electrically trained too many generations ago and make even direct lightning strikes irrelevant. And who has contempt for people who post recommendations without even learning how electricity works. How post myths about ground stopping overloads. Who do not even know what a fuse does. They will also recommend you waste tens or 100 times more money on ineffective plug-in protectors - that have virtually no earth ground. No earth ground means no effective protection. Grounding that must exceed what code and many electricians recommend.

roper grounding means a 2-3-meter long copper rod in the ground, clamped with a copper wire attached to the ground screw on the breaker panel. This is then attached to the ground wiring throughout the house. This is earth ground. The UPS units we use reliably indicate when this circuit is not present.
And again - because you ignored what you did not understand. Disconnect that earth ground rod. And the UPS indicator will still say ground is OK. Why? UPS is only discussing safety ground. Code defines this completely different ground as 'equipment ground'. Earth ground - that 3 meter copper 'clad' rod is completely different.

Another fact you never learned. That ground connection must be short - ie 'less than 3 meters'. Why? Wire impedance. Wire impedance is too complex to teach you. A wall receptacle safety ground, maybe 0.2 ohms resistance to earth ground, can also be 120 ohm impedance. If a power strip attempts to earth a trivial 100 amps surge: 120 ohms times 100 amps is 12,000 volts. What has that protector done? But protector, nearby TV and adjacent computer at something less than 12,000 volts. What happens once surge energy is inside the building - even a trivial 100 amp surge? Well that surge must hunt for earth ground destructively via the TV, computer or something else.

Please learn these basic electrical concepts before posting. Or learn from professionals what is always required for surge protection. For example, the US Air Force defines where the only effective protector is located - to be properly earthed:
> 15. Surge Protection.
> 15.1. Entering or exiting metallic power, intrusion detection, communication antenna,
> and instrumentation lines must have surge protection sized for lightning surges to reduce transient
> voltages to a harmless level. Install the surge protection as soon as practical where the
> conductor enters the interior of the facility. Devices commonly used for this include metal
> oxide varistors, gas tube arresters, and transzorbs.

Protector is only a connecting device. No protector provides protection. A problem so many have once they were trained differently in retail stores. Protection is not provided by the protector. The effective protector connects a surge as short as possible to single point earth ground. Earthing ground is the only 'system' component that provides surge protection.

Your telco's computer is connected to overhead wires all over town. Suffers about 100 surges with each thunderstorm. And must never suffer damage. So telcos put protectors where wires enter the building. Where the connection to earth is as short as possible (because every foot of wire to one foot too long). And up to 50 meters separated from that computer. Why separation. Better protection means the protector is farther from the appliance (electronics) AND as short as possible to earth ground.

Another example of why household safety ground does not provide earthing. Another example of why wire impedance is a concept you have not yet learned. And what APC, et al fear to have you learn. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground - which APC does not provide and will not discuss.

Back