• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a new power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

my power supply just bit the dust. was a xpower light 480w unit ( with 300w total 12v output split accross 2 rails). and i must of overloaded the 12v rail, and the psu doesnt work, pluged it in to a psu tester, and the 5v standby light comes on, but none of the other rails are active.

i want a new psu that will run + room for updates:

e8400 @ 4ghz
super talent ssd
an 8800gts with overclocked shaders
an 8800gt with overclocked shaders

Im hoping for a unit with a single 12v rail. preferably somthing quiet :)

thanks, mark

You could probably get away with a corsair 450, a 550 or 650 would leave room for upgrading in the future and give you more breathing room.

You could probably get away with a corsair 450, a 550 or 650 would leave room for upgrading in the future and give you more breathing room.

thanks for the reply, i have seen alot of people on this forum have that psu, seen it in alot of case pics/build logs.

im gona look nd see if i can get a 550 or 650 version, maybe 2nd hand, because i really dont have the cash to pay for a new one

There's an XFX psu in the classifieds that would work just fine, i think it's $65 or so.

just ordered the corsair 650w TX psu from ebuyer, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514 the one earth dog was selling was to heavy to post to the uk

at ebuyer it worked out at about £85 by the time i paid postage, its gona get here monday ,and i wont be home tomorrow, so it wont miss it so much.

i just got £60 for fixing a relatives laptop, so that will help pay for it.

Last edited:
just ordered the corsair 650w TX psu from ebuyer, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514 the one earth dog was selling was to heavy to post to the uk

at ebuyer it worked out at about £85 by the time i paid postage, its gona get here monday ,and i wont be home tomorrow, so it wont miss it so much.

i just got £60 for fixing a relatives laptop, so that will help pay for it.

it showed up today :) . its alot better then my other one was,

when folding on both gpus, and on the cpu, the power usage was 330w with the old psu, with this one its 270w (measured on a killawatt like device)

and its practacly silent :)

Gotta love the goodness of active power factor correction and a non-stone-age design! It's a good thing that HEC-built unit you had before didn't smoke anything it was attached to when it died... they're poor units, and would almost certianly never make the 480W they claim!

One great thing about a good power supply is that you can use it for years to come, through many upgrades. I bought my 750TX about a year and a half ago, and I've never had any worries about it not being able to power the random stuff I add to my rig!

Gotta love the goodness of active power factor correction and a non-stone-age design! It's a good thing that HEC-built unit you had before didn't smoke anything it was attached to when it died... they're poor units, and would almost certianly never make the 480W they claim!

One great thing about a good power supply is that you can use it for years to come, through many upgrades. I bought my 750TX about a year and a half ago, and I've never had any worries about it not being able to power the random stuff I add to my rig!

I know what you mean, because the psu broke when i was out, i couldnt of stoped if if it had caught fire or anything like that, i was relieved that everything was fine, i could barley afford to pay for the psu, so if anything else broke i would of been screwed.

im really pleased with the psu, its got more connecters then i will ever use, i only have 1 sata drive (ssd), so i have lots of them free, and i have only used 1 molex, for a fan controler, so i still have loads of them free , including the floppy connectors that arent used, so i have lots of room to expand.

I was woried that the old psu might of taken somthing out with it, when i set it up, i thought it didnt post (forgot to plug in the case speaker) and i was scared it had killed the motherboard, luckily i was just being stupid, and everything was fine.

I really dont understand how they can sell "480w" psus that cant provide that much power, it must break the trade description act?

Back