• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED understanding OC attempt??? Info please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

I went and read the Dolk's guide to OC the AMD and I am confused (that's not new for me) anyway I have the AMD 955BE on Biostar TA890FXE MB. I am up to 3.7ghz on air. Now the part that I am confused on, Am I bottle necking myself? should I be shooting for 2600 on the NB? I guess my real question is am I going about the settings wrong?

Bus Frequency is at 200mhz
NB FID is at 2400
CPU multiplier is at 18.5x200 for the 3700mhz

The only things I have done to get to this point is
up'ed the multiplier to 18.5
up'ed the cpuV to 1.3750
Up'ed the NB FID to 2400
Up'ed the NB VID to 1.110

I am shooting for 3.8 in the end but this is my first real attempt at OC'ing so I'm not sure if I am going at this correctly.

Ambient is 21.6C, this was only a 20 min test I will be running a 24 hour test before it's over but want to get up to 3.8 at 20 min then do the 24 hour test.

37001.jpg

TC1.jpg

mem1.jpg

Last edited:
actually per this article by AMD, http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...eK6q_w&sig=AHIEtbSYRftFW9_mmNH36HC6nK8rhee25A AMD themselves recommends at least a cpu-nb speed of 3x your memory speed. for example if you are using DDR3 1600mhz (shows 800mhz in cpu-z since its ddr...double data rate) your speed should be approx. 2400 mhz minimum (800mhz x 3 = 2400)

Going by that approach Awptex, you should really try to get cpu-nb up to 2600-2700 mhz...and a side note, cpu-nb speed is the memory controller speed, i fail to see how it relates to crossfire or sli, wouldn't that be the hypertransport link speed you are talking about???

p.s. i linked the google docs link because when i tried the direct approach for some reason game.amd.com and all related pages were down.

Last edited:
Thats what I do as well. 3x mem.

CPUNB has nothing to do with Crossfire or SLI either, thats HTLink and 2000 should be fine for most dual gpu setups.

Thanks for all the responses.
With my HT being at 2000 then that should be good (single vid card)
With my multiplier at 18.5 to give me 3700mhz
my memory at 800 (1600)
NB-FID which I believe is my CPU-NB
NB-vid at 1.110 volts
CPU-VID is at 1.375
C&Q disabled
C1E disabled

After I posted this I ran the computer for about an hour and I had an application lock (PC wizard 2010) then the BSOD it ran most of the way through the test and blew at the video test at the end, I did a reset and changed the settings back to what I had them before I started OC.

For some reason when I try to up the NB-FID to 2600 and I try OCCT it starts giving me cpu errors after only about 30 seconds of OCCT, I tried bumping the NB-VID up one notch but then the OS becomes unstable. Would taking my memory timing down from 1600 to 1333 help here? The timing on my memory isn't the best to begin with being 9,9,9,29 to get 1600.

Have you tried upping your CPU voltage to say 1.45-1.5? I would leave the memory at stock settings until you get your CPU Overclock then work on the memory. The maximum voltage for these processors are 1.55 Volts which gives you some room to work with and so do your temps.

Have you tried upping your CPU voltage to say 1.45-1.5? I would leave the memory at stock settings until you get your CPU Overclock then work on the memory. The maximum voltage for these processors are 1.55 Volts which gives you some room to work with and so do your temps.

I didn't attempt to go any higher on the CPU-VID, I wasn't sure if I was OC the right way so I wanted to make sure of that before I went any further with the CPU-VID. :D

I up'ed the voltage and took it to 3.8 but still have the NB-FID at 2400, I will try taking that up to 2600 then run a short test if it passes then I will try a 24 hour test. This was just a 10 min test to see what the temps. would be like.

38.jpg

So much for that, this is twice that I have set it to go to 2600 on then NB-FID and it has blown something away in the OS and it claims that it has done a registry restore. The first time the sound went away (everything is there and there are no issue's with the hardware) I did a reload on the OS and everything was fine. This time it did something to the nic and it says everything is there and working fine but it will not connect. Another reload of the OS is about to happen. Getting frustrating to try to get it to 2600 on the NB-FID. Even ignoring the stuff its blowing away raising the NB-VID did not help, or raising the CPU-VID. Also every time I have raised the NB-FID to 2600 it has failed in seconds on the OCCT. Any thoughts?

:clap:Dodged a bullet I think, I was able to do a system restore and get my internet back to working.

Last edited:
Sorry, I misinterpreted your OP and thought you were just looking for a higher cpuNB.

At this point in OC'ing what you should be shooting for is the highest CPU speed you can get. Everything else takes a backseat to CPU speed. I'd leave the cpuNB at 2400 and keep pushing the CPU. From the temps you posted it looks like you still have a couple of hundred MHz to go there. Then you can come back and increase the cpuNB and play with RAM timings, too, if you want ... :)

Just to update at this point, I am at:

19x200 for 3800mhz
1.4 Volts on CPU-VID
NB-FID is at 2400
NB-VID is at 1.125 Volts

Sorry, I misinterpretted your OP and thought you were just looking for a higher cpuNB.

At this point in OC'ing what you should be shooting for is the highest CPU speed you can get. Everyting else takes a backseat to CPU speed. I'd leave the cpuNB at 2400 and keep pushing the CPU. From the temps you postedc it looks like you still have a couple of hundred MHz to go there. Then you can come back and increase the cpuNB and play with RAM timings, too, if you want ... :)

Thanks again QuietIce, the reason I have stopped at 3.8ghz is this room can get pretty warm at times so I wanted to leave myself some headroom to be safe. I was hoping to leave it at 3.8 and push up the rest of the system to get the best out of it without adding additional heat to it if I could.

With the NB-FID being set at auto I have no idea what it is doing in the back round on me during the testing and any time I have pushed it to 2600 parts of my OS go off into la la land on me. Like I said earlier I know my RAM isn't that great and if backing off on it some to get the NB-FID up (if that would be the better gain) then I would be willing to do that. Again thanks for the help you have been giving I appr. it.

OK, I can see that! :)

In that case I'd change the RAM to 1333 with the CPU-Z timings for that (7-7-7) and set the vDIMM to 1.55v. Generally, you'll get better performance with those speed/timings and it's less stress on the cpuNB. From there I would increase the NB VID to at least 1.150v but unless they changed the range with the C3's (don't have that information) the NB VID range is 1.175-1.250v so you're a little under-volted there.

PS
Make sure that's the cpuNB voltage and not chipset voltage. With some BIOS's it's easy to get them confused ... ;)

Now I want to THANK YOU QuietIce once more. I dropped the RAM to 1333 1T, then up'ed the NB-FID to 2600 and bumped the voltage to 1.15, I also dropped the HT Link to 1800. I will have to run a few other programs to grab some screen shots but everything seems to be working good (only 10 min test). I will be running a 24 hours test tomorrow or Monday to make sure everything is working good. I don't really have a program to bench test with so I have been running PC Wizard to give me a quick idea of how its doing. Before I was getting around 59,930? now its showing around 59,993 so even with dropping the memory its picked up some steam. Thanks again you have been great.

The temps you see I took at 26C (Let the room warm up on purpose) to see what it would do and 49C was my highest reading.

Good deal!

For testing I like SiSandra for overall benches, Everest for memory, and 3DMark for video. Furmark and Cinebench are common video benches, too. A lot of people do a final system test using Furmark and Prime95 at the same time. That puts a LOT of stress on the system and you don't need to run that combo for more than an hour. Prime95 for 24 hours is good, too, and it's what I use as a final test since my video is never an issue ...

Back