• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Just sharing my humble rig and experience for those who are still considering SSD.

I'd say, just forget all those benchmarks, imo the real snappy experience does really counts and matter.

PS : This video although was made by myself for local consumption, those captions are in Indonesian language, just ignore it, the video content should be self explanatory.

Just two ordinary sandforce SSDs -> GSkill 60GB x 2 at ICH10R P45 mobo, Q9650@stock with 8GB Ram.

Be patient and wait few seconds at the beginning, youtube was screwing it, not me.

Watch till you see the launching of 3 XP virtual machines at once, doubt any fast mechanical drives even in raid 0 short stroked could beat that ! :D

Shot with 1280x720 resolution and suggest you view it in full screen to see the details & hope you enjoy the song too. :D

Last edited:
Similar set-up

After some slight overclocking on the following equipment;

Asus P5Q-E
Core 2 Quad (Q9550) @ 3.33GHz
DDR2-1066 Patriot RAM - 8GB
(H.I.S.) HD Radeon 5770
2 x (A-Data AS599S-64GM-C) 64GB SSD in Raid-0

I ran the test once more with the following results:

5267757255_119edb98f4_b.jpg

Note though, these scores were taken on the old(er) P45/LGA775 hardware. That means only sATA 2.0 (3Gbps), and not the latest sATA 3.0 (6Gbps) found on current P55/X58 motherboards - Obviously sATA 3.0 would give much faster real-world performance, but once again, the "Windows Experience" score would have nowhere to go.

When I bought the SSDs, I decided to save a bit of money by only buying the sATA 2.0 models. The next time I upgrade (to i5/i7), I will definitely buy "Crucial", or even "Intel" SSDs that support sATA 3.0 (6Gbps).

5268552032_066e46c3de_b.jpg

5268873894_c92b2de5b8_z.jpg

Last edited:
After some slight overclocking on the following equipment;

Asus P5Q-E
Core 2 Quad (Q9550) @ 3.33GHz
DDR2-1066 Patriot RAM - 8GB
(H.I.S.) HD Radeon 5770
2 x (A-Data AS599S-64GM-C) 64GB SSD in Raid-0

Note though, these scores were taken on the old(er) P45/LGA775 hardware. That means only sATA 2.0 (3Gbps), and not the latest sATA 3.0 (6Gbps) found on current P55/X58 motherboards - Obviously sATA 3.0 would give much faster real-world performance, but once again, the "Windows Experience" score would have nowhere to go.

Your current SSDs would not benefit at all from SATA 3.0 and therefore would not produce much faster real-world performance. They are only SATA II drives.

Even if you did get the C300 drives by Crucial and attach them to a SATA 3.0 controller, what makes you think you'd get better 'real world' performance? I think you might want to search around the web and see what people are saying about the 'onboard' Marvell SATA 3.0 controllers. They do a great job of crippling performance on SATA 3.0 drives due to their inferior I/Os.

The Intel ICH10R @ SATAII performance levels would make those drive perform better. Once Intel incorporates SATA 3.0 into their upcoming chipset (SandyBridge motherboards), then you would probably see better performance from SATA 3.0 drive like Crucial's C300.

Your current SSDs would not benefit at all from SATA 3.0 and therefore would not produce much faster real-world performance. They are only SATA II drives.

I understand that! You missed the very next sentence:

When I bought the SSDs, I decided to save a bit of money by only buying the sATA 2.0 models. The next time I upgrade (to i5/i7), I will definitely buy "Crucial", or even "Intel" SSDs that support sATA 3.0 (6Gbps).

Once Intel incorporates SATA 3.0 into their upcoming chipset (SandyBridge motherboards), then you would probably see better performance from SATA 3.0 drive like Crucial's C300.

I'm not actually using the on-board Marvell raid controller, nor did I use the Silicon Image controller on the motherboard (I read it was too slow) - I went straight in the main SATA ports which use Intel's ICH10R controller.

I didn't know that ICH10R doesn't support SATA 3.0 - I'll definitely wait for the Sandybridge Mobo's before I upgrade.

Back