• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to conformal my r3e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

I'm still debating it but I'm looking to conformal my rampage III extreme but I'm not sure what all I need to tape off besides the sockets. I remember watching deanzo's video but he never showed what all he cleans off with the conformal remover so I was wondering if anyone had or could make a picture showing the areas that need to be taped off or cleaned off once the spray is dry. Also what brand and type of spray can I use that I could get at either home depot or an auto store?

roughed it up for you. You also want to take off the heatsink, tape anything it contacts (so that it can contact it when you reattach) and make sure anything you want to plug into (sata ports, fan headers, power, anything) gets taped.

Asus-Rampage-III-Extreme.jpg

Thanks mort. Do you happen to know what deanzo was talking about when he said he cleaned off the power circuits in his video? I'll be cleaning off the ones under the heatsink but do I clean the backside of the mobo to everything I cleaned on top of the mobo or just certain spots?

I don't recall the video, but he probably went ahead and sprayed his without bothering to tape each individual MOSFET, then went back and cleaned them off afterward. Just a guess though.

I don't recall the video, but he probably went ahead and sprayed his without bothering to tape each individual MOSFET, then went back and cleaned them off afterward. Just a guess though.

I think I got the front covered and I think you're right. I'm gonna go find some conformal coating and debate about doing that or sticking with frost king. Anything important that needs to be cleaned off on the back or am I good just coating all of it?

That's exactly it. His reasoning for doing so is this:

The mostfets themselves need to have contact with the heatsink (which conformal doesn't much help). However, you need to conformal the leads on those mosfets. It would be a pain to tape the top of each mosfet, so he sprays them all, and then scrapes them clean.

Pull the heatsinks off, spray everything, then clean off everything that touches the heatsinks. That being NB die (just the die!), SB die, and each individual mosfet.

That's what I did on my P5Q Pro, too.

Pull the heatsinks off, spray everything, then clean off everything that touches the heatsinks. That being NB die (just the die!), SB die, and each individual mosfet.

That's what I did on my P5Q Pro, too.

Did you just spray the entire back or did you tape/clean anything off?

The back side i just sprayed everything.
With a board that has mosfets back there I would clean them off after spraying.

The back side i just sprayed everything.
With a board that has mosfets back there I would clean them off after spraying.

Gotcha sounds easy enough. What type of spray do you use? Polyurethane or epoxy or silicone? Can't seem to find anything at home depot or any local auto store.

Oh, I missed one, the battery needs to be taped too methinks (just so if it gets rotated it still conducts)

Its in a white can with blue letters.
They have it in the computer components area next to the anti-static bags, 100% pure alcohol, and compressed air.
Not sure on the name though, think its silicon conformal spray

Its in a white can with blue letters.
They have it in the computer components area next to the anti-static bags, 100% pure alcohol, and compressed air.
Not sure on the name though, think its silicon conformal spray

Ah bummer I went to microcenter and went to the aisle that some guy said it was down and there was nothing there. Must be out right now

http://www.newark.com/techspray/2102-12s/silicone-conformal-coating-12oz/dp/10J6915 That stuff looks good to me but they were only open mon-fri so I don't know if its in stock.

Last edited:
I found the last bottle in a 2 hour driving distance of fine-l-kote silicon conformal. I'm going to spray the board here soon and I had to order the remover online but this stuff says 72 hours to dry so I got time. Thanks for the help

realistically it'll probably be like an hour of dry time...unless it's different from the stuff I was usin at the party.

Back