• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE New AMD CPUs, Intel's Ivy Bridge Timeline, and Elpida is Bankrupt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unfortunately, the 4100 loses to the dual core 2120 in almost every measure, and sometimes by a significant margin. It also use ~50 more watts. Overclocking it out of the box and making it a 125w chip is just going to make the numbers worse - it'll still lose in most measurements, and will use even more power. Reeks of desperation.

now i see that my overclock does not seem that high lol

hmm now i dont know what im getting my friend for a computer!!!!

well i guess i will see when his laptop breaks fully

Nice to hear AMD trying to raise the bar and get some even competition with Intel, a 4.4 clock speed is insane for an out of the box product.

But then again clock speed isn't everything, would rather see better FP or thread handling. Although I guess that is partly Microsoft's fault with win7, have to wait for Windows 8 to really see how it does.

There's an Intel i7 dual core lga1366 CPU with a stock clock of 4.2GHz I believe. Custom build on the GT die for stock trading stuff where microseconds matter.

It looks like the trying to close the gap in performance to Sandy Bridge by turning up the clock speed, its not going to work that way.

Having said that this is a good move from AMD, this will up the performance somewhat.

More importantly, i like there prices, an FX-1820 (8 core / 4 Module) now costs £145 (UK) that's much less the £170 for a 2500K and while its not as good as the 2500K in most things it does well in multi-threading and modern games, its a very good all rounder, and cheap.

I can't wait to see PileDriver.... the IPC performance on them should be up 15% and 4Ghz+ clocks the norm across the board.

They're trying to catch up to the performance gap with the Sandy Bridge processors that have been out for a while now. And soon there will be Ivy Bridge.

Personally, while my current build is AMD and ATI, I think if I was to build a computer from scratch today (which I might actually do for someone else fairly soon....) it'd certainly be with an i5. Excellent performance for the cost.

Back