• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAREFUL on video cards!!!!!! LOOK!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bioevolve

Yesterday I notice my second video card temps were very high 100c!!!!
Then my computer locked up, I thought maybe the water blcok came loose.
Nope, I re-applied, nope. Maybe bad water block, nope. Tried the stock heat sink and fan, nope. After many times of re-appling thermal paste between water block and stock h/s&fan, when removing the stock h/s&fan the cap came off of the GPU proc!!!! I was like WTF!!!!! Then I realized why the temps were so high and so fast to climb. It was not making contact!
Under the gpu proc cap is thermal goop with a copper cap that is coated with nickel or aluminum, that has worked it way loose. The adhesive has weakend. So just be careful when re-appling many time lol.
videodiecap (1).jpg

videodiecap (2).jpg

videodiecap (3).jpg

videodiecap (4).jpg

So I decied to just for go the cap all together and mount the water block on the die directly. In essence, cut out the middle man lol. Careful not to crunch/chip the die. Like the old days for the Athlon XP/MP chips. I remember chipping a few of those lol. :thup:
That die has a super mirror shine!!! I also removed the cap off the other video card and did the same. :attn:
Running about 5-7c cooler now!!!!!
videodiecap (5).jpg

videodiecap (6).jpg

Good job.

On another note if you were using FC blocks this would not work.

True, and stock h/s&fan would not work either.
Unless you used a filler/spacer, like a copper cold plate or something like that.
Would have to be the same thickness or just reuse the cap carefully. :thup:

I do reapply Thermal Compound probably way more then i need to as i run a constant high overclock, but lucky for me my GPU has no heat spreader...

Makes me sweat every time i do it with AS5, that stuff conducts like copper wire. :shock:

I do reapply Thermal Compound probably way more then i need to as i run a constant high overclock, but lucky for me my GPU has no heat spreader...

Makes me sweat every time i do it with AS5, that stuff conducts like copper wire. :shock:

You are lucky yours is made that way. :salute:

Back