• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6950 will not go over 500mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

my some what new (got it in oct) 6950 will not go over 500mhz i dont know how long this card has been doing this

i have tryed
games will not go over 500mhz
bitcoin miner again will not go over

and stock core speed is 800mhz not 500mhz
hes a pic of GPUz
ScreenShot003-5.jpg
as you can see it will not go over 500mhz how i found this problem is i was looking online and i saw thats 6950 should get about 300-350 mh/s but i was getting 192-204 mh/s
so i post in the bitcoin ask for help to improve MH rate

i dont think its driver due to i just did a Full uninstall of 12.1 (was not going over 500mhz) and installed 12.3 (still not going over)
+ now thinking of it this have been doing this for a few months now

im going to try drivers again but i would like other thoughts as im doing this

is my card bad? do i have to RMA?

ok i have tryed 11.2 and 12.3 drivers both same will not go over 500mhz
any help or email XFX? or do i email newegg?
how does xfx RMA work?

well if noone has any ideas RMA it is!
p.s. i am going to try it in my friends new computer that i built (only person i know with a 500+ PSU)

I'm willing to bet that somewhere along the lines of you trying to change the OpenCL SDK, there was an installation that you thought got uninstalled, and wasn't. If this is a dedicated miner, I would say wipe the partition and start over. If it's a 24/7 rig, then try using the Windows Restore to a date from before there were issues. I had this happen to me on my dedicated miner and couldn't get the issue fixed... Wiped the partition and started over.

Did you give driver cleaner a try ? Restore might be a good idea too.

I'm willing to bet that somewhere along the lines of you trying to change the OpenCL SDK, there was an installation that you thought got uninstalled, and wasn't. If this is a dedicated miner, I would say wipe the partition and start over. If it's a 24/7 rig, then try using the Windows Restore to a date from before there were issues. I had this happen to me on my dedicated miner and couldn't get the issue fixed... Wiped the partition and started over.

yes it is a 24/7 rig not mining and no its not drivers (see lower post)

ok so i put the card in my friends computer and play a few games and nope will not go over 500mhz and he did not ever have a Readon in his computer berfore

im going to put my RMA ticket in tonight + i mined 192 from the very 1st day i started so i think when i 1st got my card it was broken.
the reason i did not know it was going slow is because
1st. the 6950 was a upgrade from a 7300 LE
2nd none of my friends have a 6950
3rd from my point of view it was blazing fast becasue it is my 1st $50+ GPU
(spent $230 after MIR)

thx guys i was hoping it was a driver thing but guess not...

That really sucks man hope the RMA process goes trouble free. If you want to give if one last shot you could probably edit the bios. Does that cars have a duel bios ?

Darn. I was just going to suggest that. If it had duel bios, then flash one and see what's up. :( Sorry you have to RMA, not really sure what's going on there...

It is odd that the graphs all are flatlined, mine are all over the place often dropping to 250 on the desktop. I notice that the card is running very hot for idling, mine sits around 42c and I don't think that it ever reaches 76 even in BF3. Any way it is thermal throttling?

its not idling its at 100% load the bottom program pushes it to the max
so thats why its hot/flatline + even normal game play is about 65c and at those temps it will never go higher then 500mhz

now RMA it is does any1 know how long XFX will take to reply? what the max time i should wait for a reply? 2 weeks?

Shouldn't take more then a few days to get a reply if you don't, call them. So this has been happening the whole time you've had the card lol ? waittill you get it fixed your gonna like the performance.

ikr its going to be like a new card!
my GPU tree will be
7300 LE, broken 6950, working 6950!

I have run mine up to almost 1000 core your at 500 lol What frame rates were you getting that must have been terrible !!

well im getting 40ish FPS on WOT (max setting) on 1280x1024 res
and Dirt 3 im getting like 50ish on max (same res)

You should expect crazy frame rates with that small of a resolution when its working properly now I know why you didn't notice it at first it don't take too much to drive that resolution. Hope your RMA goes well keep us updated.

ya i cant wait to get the card back (have not even sent it yet)
+ im hoping i have the cash this year to buy 3 monitors this year
probly going to get 1920x1080 or next up

ya i cant wait to get the card back (have not even sent it yet)
+ im hoping i have the cash this year to buy 3 monitors this year
probly going to get 1920x1080 or next up

You might need another 6950 !:D there the cheapest I have seen them lately now that the 78xx cards are out. I want to upgrade to an IPS monitor but I am a poor college student so I am sticking with 1920x1080.

Strange, I had this the other day. Fiddled some with trixx from sapphire and decided I don't want to use it. While I kept my clocks at 930/1400 with trixx, I can't do that with the ccc overdrive. But I have some profiles with hotkeys so a simple press sets it all back to my desire, at 930/1350 which is stable and fine for me.
Not so this time, while gaming I noticed lag and lower fps, with gpuz I found I was running the core at 500Mhz under full load.
Tried manually setting the core higher, but it kept reverting to 500Mhz max.
Rebooted, but did not help, so I switched off the ccc overdrive and rebooted, this helped, after that I enabled it again and now my clocks are fine. I'm still wary though, keep monitoring this for some time. But seems to be ok now.

Back