• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAS Software Reviews - Your input is wanted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
There are many pre-built downloadable NAS operating systems available, but how do you determine what is appropriate for you? Do you know what to look for? How do you compare ZFS to unRAID to mdadm? How well does it handle drive failures? Windows Home Server or Linux? What are the pitfalls or features? With many options available to users, it is difficult to find good software that fits your needs without testing all of the available flavors. That is exactly what I aim to do: test as much of the free and paid NAS software as I can get my hands on.

Why?
Looking around online, I'm not able to find good, consistent, and comparable reviews for NAS software. Someone new to home servers wouldn't know where to start; there are too many options. I consider myself active in the storage section and quite knowledgeable of current hardware, hard drives, and servers. Since I demand much of my servers, I run full operating systems instead of a "NAS operating system". Often, I come across members asking about NAS software that I'm unable to answer, simply because I don't use it. I recently upgraded my main computer and have hardware laying around that I can use for testing. I've also purchased a RAID card and many hard drives to test with. Plus, having the information available and actually doing the tests is fun to me.

What?
My goal for this is to write reviews on NAS operating systems and have a high-level overview that can be used for comparison. These will be posted to the front page. I will attempt to do reviews that contain not only performance figures, but how easy it is to use, quirks or problems it may have, and generally good information that is nice to have when making a decision.

Who?
To be able to review this software in a fair and consistent manner, I'm going to need your help. While I have a basic idea of what and how I want to test, I still need a third party view to make sure that I'm covering all aspects of the software and that I'm doing it fairly. I can't think of everything and the community here always has great input.

The hardware:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe (P45 chipset)
Processor: QX9650 (400 MHz FSB)
Memory:
--4x2gb G.Skill sticks
Hard drives:
--100gb Maxtor SATA (operating system drive)
--3x 500gb IBM System X (39M4533)
--8x 1.5tb Seagate ST31500341AS
RAID/HBA controller: IBM ServeRAID M1015
Power supply: Corsair HX650
Case: Norco 470

The software:
NOTE: This list will change.
FreeNAS
Nas4Free
OpenIndiana
unRAID*
FlexRAID*
Windows Home Server* (Thanks TiZakit!)
Windows Server 2008* (Thanks Realee!)
Windows Storage Server* (Thanks Jmtyra!)
Windows 8 Storage Spaces
Full Linux server install (hardware RAID)
Full Linux server install (software RAID: mdadm)
Full BSD server install (ZFS)
Full Solaris/OpenSolaris install (?)
CryptoNAS
NASLite
Gluster
Openfiler
OpenMediaVault
TurnKey solutions (like what?)
NexentaStor
SnapRAID/Elucidate (Windows based)
(* Denotes it will cost money to obtain. I would appreciate if someone would let me borrow a copy for testing purposes so that I don't have to buy it out of pocket.)

Methodology:
NOTE: Still being decided, this will change
Test from Windows/Linux clients (no Mac to test on, sorry guys).
Copy large contiguous files to test pure throughput.
Copy many small files to test random access throughput.
Copy a mix of large/small files to see how it copes.
Copy "actual" data (large steam folder, movies, etc).
Individual features will have to be tested on the spot (snapshots, backups, syncing, etc).
Expansion of the array when the drives are full/near-full.
(This will be decided for sure before I actually start testing. Otherwise, I wouldn't be consistent, would I?)

As mentioned earlier, I'm going to need help. Even if you can only give small tidbits of information, it will help me greatly; so all input is appreciated. If you have personal experience with one that I'm doing a review on, I'd love to hear about it so it can be added to the review. Comments on the methodology or suggestions are also welcomed, so that I can refine my tests and ensure that I'm testing them fairly and equally.

--------------------------

To-Do list:
Finalize methodology
--Test methodology and make sure it is repeatable and measurable
--Write tools/scripts to help make the tests consistent
Finalize NAS software list
Finalize hardware list

Anything in this list I could use help with.

Table of contents:
Updated 06/17/2012

Hardware:
Preliminary hardware pictures (Posted 06/17/2012)
Norco 470 reassembled (Posted 06/17/2012)

Last edited:
To get the ball rolling, I'm posting pictures of the hardware.

Asus P5Q Deluxe:
nas_softwaretests_mb.JPG

100gb Maxtor and 3x IBM System X drives:
nas_softwaretests_hdd1.JPG

Processors and RAM:
nas_softwaretests_ramcpu.JPG

The motherboard, RAM, hard drives, RAID/HBA, power supply, and case are finalized. That only leaves the processor unaccounted for. As you can see in the picture above, I have a few processors to choose from. Here is the list:

e5200
e6300
e6400
e6600
QX9650

The processor will be run, at max, their stock speeds. The quad core has the option of disabling cores, so I think that is the option I should go with. I can do tests with 1/2/4 cores to see how the software handles the increased/decreased processing power.

The 6x Seagate hard drives should be here early next week. I will also need to take the Norco 470 out of my rack and rebuild it. I'll post pictures here as I make progress.

Last edited:
Hi Thiddy,

I have a serial key for Windows Server 2008 (NOT R2) you would be welcome to use for your testing. I know it's not Home Server but it might be another you can test with.

It's part of an MSDNAA package so perfect for this kind of testing.

PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Realee, thank you for the offer. I will add that to my list. When it gets closer to doing the actual tests, I'll try to remember to talk to you about it. :thup:

I got it added to the first post so I won't forget.

Happy to help - your time on the forums is invaluable to many.
Not to mention - I'm looking at setting up a home NAS in the relative near future so the research is perfect for what I need.

I currently run a Buffalo NAS with a 3.5inch(7200) and 2.5(5400) inch drive in JBOD so it's very slow so when the results come in my PC supplier will thank you too! =-)

I'll be looking forward to this. I'll be regrouping for a new server (and have a reason for one) this fall.

PM me and see if we can work something out about homeserver, though it is just server 2008 with some user friendly stuff added on. (and ANNOYING stuff too). Short review, I wouldn't use it again.

Will you be showing the setup of each system? Testing redundancy on systems that offer it?

If you need anything else, I'll help however I can. It will be invaluable data, and probably the first of this scale on the 'net.

thideras,
Thank you for this post. I cannot wait to see what your results are. I have been debating over buying a NAS System or just build one using one of my old PC's. Hopefully, after your testing I'll finally be able to make up my mind.

I took the server out of my rack and reassembled the front part so I can install hard drives. The front fans are new and the rear fans had their connector redone. That is all I'm doing for tonight.

Case stripped down, as it was sitting in the rack.
norco_assemble_1.JPG

Parts gathered for assembly.
norco_assemble_2.JPG

Partially reassembled.
norco_assemble_3.JPG

Front section is done at the 5.25" bays are installed.
norco_assemble_4.JPG

Fans swapped and hard drive bays installed.
norco_assemble_5.JPG

Hard drives installed.
norco_assemble_6.JPG

Last edited:
Thiddy, I have a MSDN account through work with access to any Microsoft product, including WHS, W2k8 R2, etc.

I'll send you a PM with more info.

Later bud,

Will you be showing the setup of each system? Testing redundancy on systems that offer it?

To elaborate on this, maybe it could be a timed test to see how long a rebuild takes? Maybe also how long it takes to expand an array?

I'm looking toward rebuilding my NAS using larger, green drives and moving away from my PERC 5i...

I'm sorry TiZakit, I completely missed your post! I'm not quite sure what you are asking for your first question. If you mean pictures/screenshots of the system and operating system, yes, I intend to include those. Testing redundancy will be one of the main tests, for sure. I will include rebuild times, etc.

To elaborate on this, maybe it could be a timed test to see how long a rebuild takes? Maybe also how long it takes to expand an array?

I'm looking toward rebuilding my NAS using larger, green drives and moving away from my PERC 5i...
Expansion is something I did not think of, but I will add that to the list; thank you.

I've decided on the processor, which makes the hardware finalized. I'm going with the QX9650. I can scale cores from one to four, I can use half multipliers, and when used with a 400 MHz FSB, I can go in 200 MHz increments for the final clock speed. I've also added 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix memory so that I can test 2gb of RAM while still running dual channel. This allows me to test 2gb, 4gb, and 8gb of RAM -- all run at the same speed.

The hardware:
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe (P45 chipset)
Processor: QX9650 (400 MHz FSB)
Memory:
--4x2gb G.Skill sticks
--2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
Hard drives:
--100gb Maxtor SATA (operating system drive)
--3x 500gb IBM System X (39M4533)
--6x Seagate Barracuda (ST3750640NS)
RAID/HBA controller: IBM ServeRAID M1015
Power supply: Corsair HX650
Case: Norco 470

Sub'd.

EDIT: What about asking unRAID / Limetech to hand you a key to test unRAID? Maybe I.M.O.G. can help you, you could make this go to the fp.

Last edited:
Sub'd.

EDIT: What about asking unRAID / Limetech to hand you a key to test unRAID? Maybe I.M.O.G. can help you, you could make this go to the fp.
I believe I talked to someone that said they had a copy I could use for testing. I'll need to go through my private messages to see who it was. I'm reluctant to ask unRAID for a key because I feel they would be expecting an "advertisement" instead of an actual review. I want to review the NAS software for what it is, instead of what they expect me to write.

Yes, that's what I also feared, that they'd want you to praise unRAID. In order to use unRAID, you need to have a flash drive that's linked with the license, IDK if you read that. They'll have to send you the flash drive, not the file.

RAID/HBA controller arrived today. With absolutely no packaging, except the static bag. Hope it works.

raid_hba_card.JPG

I'd still contact unRAID. It is possible to review this stuff with no bias, you know.

txus, I don't think there was ever really a question about this hitting the FP.

I'm sorry TiZakit, I completely missed your post! I'm not quite sure what you are asking for your first question. If you mean pictures/screenshots of the system and operating system, yes, I intend to include those. Testing redundancy will be one of the main tests, for sure. I will include rebuild times, etc.

Yup, you got me exactly, along with anything of special note during the setup. Unforeseen complexity and what not.

I'd still contact unRAID. It is possible to review this stuff with no bias, you know.

txus, I don't think there was ever really a question about this hitting the FP.

Yup, you got me exactly, along with anything of special note during the setup. Unforeseen complexity and what not.

You're right, this is obviously FP material. Looks promising and will help me decide for when I have time to build a home server.

No hardware updates, but the hard drives should be here soon.

I'm writing the methodology for the tests. If anyone is interested in helping me out, shoot me a message so we can talk. I have an idea what I want to test for, but I'm mainly just winging it.

Back