• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 -- system hard reset under load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jazztrump9

Hello,

About a week ago I bought an AMD FX 8350 and an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. Upon installing the 8350 I noticed the temperatures are unusually high. It idles around 42-44 and under load shoots up to 70. When under load my system just hard resets like the reset switch was hit. No Blue screen of death, no mini dumps, nothing. Sometimes my bios gets messed up and after cycling the power it will say overclocking failed press F1 to enter setup. This shouldn't happen as everything is set to stock. Thinking this was a thermal problem I reseated the heatsink and reapplied thermal paste using Arctic Silver 5. The temperature dropped to idling at 35 and 60 under load. I ran prime 95 for 30 minutes with no errors and no problems and the socket temperature never went above 60 and the cores never went above 55 degrees celsius. I then turned on BOINC which ran for about 5 minutes with the temperature never crossing 55 degrees and suddenly it reset again. I have run memtest and my ram passed. I have played with voltages but that also has not helped. If I increase the vcore voltage at all it will reset almost instantly when it gets under full load. I suspected it may be windows, so i booted into linux and ran boinc, it reset. At this point I'm fairly certain the CPU may be defective. I have updated my BIOS to the newest version, turned off various CPU settings like cool and quiet, turbo core, etc. But nothing will get rid of this reset problem. I have also run OCCT and checked the voltages coming out of my PSU and they are rock solid. Are abnormally high cpu temperatures and behavior like this indicative of a defective CPU?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Geoff

Can you please post with attached pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD? That will give us lots of info about your bios settings.

What do you have your ram voltage set to in bios? What is your CPUNB voltage set to in bios? Those two won't show up in CPU-z.

To attach images, first crop and save with something like Snipping Tool which is found in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. Then click on the little paperclip icon at the top of the advanced post window.

Hello Thank you for the response.

Right after I posted this i made some changes to my bios based on some things i had read about the fx 8150 in a different thread, disabling turbo core, then setting Load Line calibration from auto to regular, then i found a bios setting I wasn't aware of that was called CPU power thermal control and i increased the value of that. After making these changes it seems the problem may in fact have resolved much to my surprise. I'll get the CPUz read outs posted in a little bit and i'll keep testing and let you know what happens.

I attached screen shots of CPUZ. The Ram is set to 1.5volts. The CPUNB is set to auto...I cant remember the value at the moment. Whatever the changes were that i made, my system will now go for about a half hour with prime 95 until it suddenly resets. Temperatuers never cross 55 degrees so its not that...

I updated my bios to the newest version that was released today(1101) and it still didn't fix it. I was able to run prime 95 for an hour on ubuntu linux live cd the other night without it erroring or resetting so maybe its windows 7. Going to try to loading windows 8 to an external hd and seeing if its a problem inherent to just this OS. Originally I had tried linux and it reset, but it didn't this time so im not entirely sure if its a driver problem or just coincidence. Memtest showed no errors. My ram was running at 2133, but with the latest bios it started BSODing so i set it to 1866 and its been fine since. Turbo core is turned off and i have my multiplier set to 21 (4.2ghz). Vcore is set to 1.4 even though its hovering around 1.392. I'm debating ordering another CPU and Rmaing this one.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 2,289
  • mem.jpg
    mem.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 2,250
  • spd.png
    spd.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 2,250
For future reference, please crop the pics before uploading them. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. We don't need to see your whole desktop three times.

Same problem overhere, 8350.

hi hi
Here the same problem.
I did two days ago, the FX8350 bought and immediately after installation I noticed the high temperatures (70). The motherboard I use: Asus M5A97-PRO, obviously with the latest bios, 1604. And the spontaneous rebooting is also addressed.
I have also been working with the institutions/settings in the bios but the temperature rises too quickly and gives back problems.

Because I've never seen before, I began to doubt everything.:sn:
So i put the fx8350 in another different MSI new am3 + board, other feedstocks used, other coolers used. Same problem.. 70 and reboots.
I ended up in my own motherboard. Tested with the Phenom 1090 and a FX6100. Takes it all well and no reboots and no high temperatures.

Should I consider this as a processor that is faulty or a bad 'batch' coming?
should I just go back to the store with this brand new cpu?
Or?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jazz, drop that Hyper 212 and get a V6GT
My temps with FX-8120 with a small OC on a Sabertooth 990FX R1.0 Running F@H with cores at 100%.

8120-3.6GHZ.JPG

p.s. That's with room temp of 82f

Last edited:
Please attach a pic taken of HWMonitor immediately after a 20 minute Prime95 blend run. Please crop the picture first. We don't need to see your entire desktop and when you do that it makes the relevant image very small and hard to read.

Jazz, drop that Hyper 212 and get a V6GT
My temps with FX-8120 with a small OC on a Sabertooth 990FX R1.0 Running F@H with cores at 100%.

The cooler that I use now is the Gelid Tranquillo rev.2. This is not really known for its poor cooling performance. I also have the problem with the supplied stockfan cooler AMD itself.
I also have other coolers put it but the problem remains the same.
Nock-out under load temperatures.
To be more specific: These cpu runs at default values ​​so no overclocking settings.
Does not seem to be a cooler issue, in my eyes.

p.s. That's with room temp of 82f

Room temp over here is 18 C.

Please attach a pic taken of HWMonitor immediately after a 20 minute Prime95 blend run. Please crop the picture first. We don't need to see your entire desktop and when you do that it makes the relevant image very small and hard to read.

Hi
20 minutes will not work.
Within a minute under load reboot the PC :shock:
70 degrees have already achieved.

Last edited:
I made an observation a couple days ago. My power supply is a thermaltake TR2 RX 1000watt. When im running my computer normal it makes no sound and i have no reset problems. When i start prime95, occt, or boinc the power supply starts making this really annoying clicking noise. I am wondering if something is wrong with the power supply and the reset is being cause by an internal protection feature. 1000w is more than enough for my computer however, I think the clicking it makes under load is an indication of something wrong. Expecially because prime 95 doesn't stress the video card, so the fact its clicking when the CPU revs up concerns me. I am going to try replacing the PSU and see if that resolves the problem.

Something is not right when my systems (7 PC's) run so much cooler than the systems I see in these forums at stock speed that have temp problems, ether wrong cooler, improper mounting of the cooler, improper thermal paste on CPU, bad thermal paste, or something.
Also make sure the CPU cooler (water, air) is rated for at lease 200W or better, because 70c at stock speed, something is not right.

The cooler that I use now is the Gelid Tranquillo rev.2. This is not really known for its poor cooling performance. I also have the problem with the supplied stockfan cooler AMD itself.
I also have other coolers put it but the problem remains the same.
Nock-out under load temperatures.
To be more specific: These cpu runs at default values ​​so no overclocking settings.
Does not seem to be a cooler issue, in my eyes.

Room temp over here is 18 C.

You should have better temps then you have right now. I would guess you have either an air flow issue of quite possibly a bad mount for your cooler. Try a little test ..... pull off the side of your case and get a fouse fan and have it blow into your case while you try to run prime. If this is a airflow issue this will show up right away. If this helps then we know you have an airflow issue. If not .....try to remount your cooler with new thermal paste and run it again.

Also make sure the CPU cooler (water, air) is rated for at lease 200W or better, because 70c at stock speed, something is not right.

Hi WhitehawkEQ
do you know a link where you can see at a glance rated coolers of 200w and better?
That's interesting, for me and future FX8350 users
thank you so much:sn:

Right now, the V6 and V6GT are the only ones I know of that are rated for 200W, I'll start looking around and get some info for you.

Hi WhitehawkEQ
do you know a link where you can see at a glance rated coolers of 200w and better?
That's interesting, for me and future FX8350 users
thank you so much:sn:

Edit: well, I can't find a place at this time to rate coolers at a glance but you can goto the website of each cooler maker and look through what they have, Thermaltake has a few rated for 200W and better as well as CoolerMaster. I'll keep looking.

If it's worth cooling, it's worth over cooling :)

Last edited:
On an 8 core CPU like that the very least you would want to cool with would be a Noctua D14 (air) or a Corsair H100 (water) if you are overclocking.

So here I am again.:sn:

I have the previous FX8350 brought back to the store. After research the cpu malfunction. What I also had expected.
I now have a new 8350 and the heat problem is now gone.(70c or higher temps and spontaneous resets):attn:

For clarity, system runs normally, not overclocked:
Test time: 60 minutes, I got the following temperatures with the cooler Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

Idle mode: 31c
Prime95 torture test, full loaded: 58c

The standard AMD cooler I have not tried yet. (the supplied AMD cooler is genuinely the Coolermaster Vortex Plus)

Do you think these temperatures are permissible or if they still on the high side?
And if so, what cooler do you recommend me?
And especially with a view to any over-clocking in the future.
I also have a bad case anyway so the airflow can also cause herein.
The CPU cooler is very close near the power supply.

thanks already:sn:

Last edited:
Nice, I'll remember that when all atemps to get temps down it might be a bad CPU. Good to remember.
Glad you got it fixed.

So here I am again.:sn:

I have the previous FX8350 brought back to the store. After research the cpu malfunction. What I also had expected.
I now have a new 8350 and the heat problem is now gone.(70c or higher temps and spontaneous resets):attn:

For clarity, system runs normally, not overclocked:
Test time: 60 minutes, I got the following temperatures with the cooler Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

Idle mode: 31c
Prime95 torture test, full loaded: 58c

The standard AMD cooler I have not tried yet. (the supplied AMD cooler is genuinely the Coolermaster Vortex Plus)

Do you think these temperatures are permissible or if they still on the high side?
And if so, what cooler do you recommend me?
And especially with a view to any over-clocking in the future.
I also have a bad case anyway so the airflow can also cause herein.
The CPU cooler is very close near the power supply.

thanks already:sn:

Yep, that's a good thing to keep in mind as long as you are sure it was a bad CPU and not a bad cooler mount or incorrect application of TIM. Thanks.

Back