• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does this work? radiator air tunnel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtrunk

this is to go in the lower drive bay area of a haf-x. i looked online and didn't find one setup like this; but can't see why it wouldn't work pretty decently.

so the idea is to put two slim 140.1 radiators not in sandwich but separated by a 120mm fan. So the 140mm fans will blow the air from the outer edges of the case towards the inner through the 140.1 slim radiator. since the air would normally be sort of stagnant between the radiators, i'd use a nice high static pressure 120mm fan towards the front of the case to push the hot radiator air towards the back of the case. the radiators would be separated by roughly 120mm.

there is a 230mm fan in the front of the case, this would help add cool air flow to the area. the blue bars represent fans; a 120mm blowing air through the setup, and 140mm fans blowing through the radiators. i'm looking to use Magicool 140mm slim radiator; it's very thin?

Attachments

• rad idea.jpg
    rad idea.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 102
Should work fine.
I'd be more concerned about getting cold air to the intake fans than in pushing the warm air away from the radiators.
If you flipped the 120 around so it was pulling the hot air out, and made it a case exhaust fan, that'd work rather nicely.

Should work fine.
I'd be more concerned about getting cold air to the intake fans than in pushing the warm air away from the radiators.
If you flipped the 120 around so it was pulling the hot air out, and made it a case exhaust fan, that'd work rather nicely.

Agreed. I like this idea, I bet you could make it look pretty kick-*** too haha.

I was thinking about doing something like this to my custom loop eventually-- Having a GPU and CPU rad, boxing them in with that same 120mm gap, and have fans pushing in and fans exhausting. Not quite the same, but pretty similar-- I'd give it a shot and tell us how the temps go!

Interesting idea. I'm looking at adding a rad to that area of my Haf X case too. Bobnova is correct about the cold air. You might think about scrapping the 120mm fan and just upgrading the front intake fan to something like the BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm Fan. You could angle the forward edges of the rads inwards making a loose V. That would expose the rad fins/140mm fan intakes somewhat to the incoming cool air while still allowing the front intake fan to blow the hot air back toward exhaust fans in the top and back of the case.

Neither pic will help a lot. The issue is the fan at the bottom or side since there is no restriction from the added fan. Since it's flow isn't blocked by the rad it will be higher pressure than the air coming through the rad. That means the bottom or half of the side of the rad will have reduced flow and fight against the rad fans. It also will create turbulence at the rad surface decreasing airflow. You'll have air in a side movement coming out of the rad nice and linear, and then hits higher pressure sideways air. Like a non-stoplight/stopsign intersection.

Your best bet is better outtake on your other case fans to pull air better from the rad, almost like a long distance push/............ pull.

I agree with BobNovas idea more than an intake one for sure. That can starve air though to the rest of the case, and it also needs airflow.

Hope that explains it.

Back