• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6100 Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShrimpBrime

~MadHatDeLidder~
Hi. I am ShrimpBrime. Have been a long long time reader of this forum. Thought I'd finally take some effort and sign up. I've been at the PC for some years now, pretty much have just had nothing but fun with PCs.

So figuring most of you guys like PC stuff, I'd share this FX-6100 mod with you guys and see what you think of it!

It is in fact a working cpu. Here is the Cpu-z after the de-lidding. Was working with the memory clocks with this validation. 100% air cooled.
http://valid.canardpc.com/2799956

This is not my first cpu. I had an FX-4100 that I blew up using this same method. I hope perhaps someday I can make a tutorial for all of you here and maybe some one will take a crack at it with some success.

Generally I use liquid cooling on everything that I run. Unfortunately I don't have a spare pump to give liquid temps, The Cpu still reacts differently even on air. It seems that with the solder removed from the IHS plate, the heat transfer is much better, literally being able to watch temps climb one deg. at a time And the overall spike from idle to load is greatly reduced.

In the end, the temps on air cooling end up the same because the cooler only can do so much. It was test with the stock cooler and instead of the IHS plate being reused, I have a Morgan silver dollar that is lapped both sides to take up the space and hopefully transfer heat a little better between the cores and cooler.

Any ways.... Here's the pics and enjoy!! Gotta go fix up a sig!!

DSC07089_zps6832ff82.jpg

DSC07094_zpsc80806c2.jpg

DSC07099_zps918e3e09.jpg

Hmmmmm, I have a few fx processors laying aroud that make a lot of heat..........

Welcome! SB

I can see why you'd use the morgan silver dollar due to its high silver content. impressive!

look forward to your contributions here at OCF.

Thanks guys looking forward to participating here more often. You guys have a forum packed with info, it's all great stuff!

I have a FX-8320 that will some time soon be put on the chopping block. Hopefully I have a clean removal like the FX-6100.

BTW here's a video of the de-lid on the 6100. Its dark cause my light died. But it shows amount of heating time and process of removal well enough I think?

Funny Caddi does the same thing to his Fx chips though he uses V core instead of a torch and razor blades. :p. Nice work Shrimp.

Funny Caddi does the same thing to his Fx chips though he uses V core instead of a torch and razor blades. :p. Nice work Shrimp.

I still have my first one. It was a 940BE DDR2 Phenom II chip. It was successful as well as a few others. One including a 1090T. 965BE, 6400+ , 9950BE, and a 9850BE. All are working processors.

I have yet a 2nd 6400+ and a 6000+ here that could use a de-lid. My only problem doing this is the lack of a board ATM. So they are on the back burner for a bit. Unless I can find a tester.

What kind of temp drop did you see de-lidding the Athlons or haven't you de lidded them yet? I have an 6000+ as well that I like to torture, if it's worth it I'd take a shot at de lidding it.

are you resoldering the silver doller to it or just smoothing the solder and letting it ride on top when you clamp the waterblock down?

@ Mandrake, I de-lidded the 6400+. I had two of them. I OCed it on DICE. Like most Athlon's it was cold bugged, but luckily not till -48c or so if memory serves correctly. So it was a little rough to get OCing past 3.8ghz

I was able to accomplish K8 over 4ghz though! http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2125351

To better answer your question, on average with Phenom I/II most saw a temp drop roughly 10c deg give or take on ambient temps and what not.

@caddi, The core gets scraped clean then lapped. I use Antec formula 6/7 for paste. I have used this coin on many de-lidded processors.

I think solder is rough for transferring heat. it's made mostly of lead.....

Here's some recent pictures with some TEC cooling. 4ghz with reasonable temps and nice low voltage with a thin 1/16th inch plate. The water block is a GTZ, works just fine for this. The remainder of the rig is sig'ed.

Attachments

• DSC07122.JPG
    DSC07122.JPG
    564.8 KB · Views: 705
  • DSC07118.JPG
    DSC07118.JPG
    841 KB · Views: 710
  • DSC07129.JPG
    DSC07129.JPG
    909.4 KB · Views: 845
  • FX-6100 TEC 4ghz WPrime.jpg
    FX-6100 TEC 4ghz WPrime.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:
Here's some recent pictures with some TEC cooling. 4ghz with reasonable temps and nice low voltage with a thin 1/16th inch plate. The water block is a GTZ, works just fine for this. The remainder of the rig is sig'ed.

I'll be honest, after seeing all the pictures of the sweet cooling setup, the picture of the GT430 threw me off for a bit. :p

It's amazing how much less Cpu V an overclock will require when the chip is cooler.

I'll be honest, after seeing all the pictures of the sweet cooling setup, the picture of the GT430 threw me off for a bit. :p

TB totally H, it's a GT 620. I was having issues with the monitor keeping the screen. It turns out the monitor itself is dying...... But normally, I do run the GT 430 while benching or testing processors.

It's amazing how much less Cpu V an overclock will require when the chip is cooler.

Yep!

The Cpu didn't like anything lower in voltage than 1.75v which drooped to 1.260 and went up to 1.72 according to CPu-z while running WPrime.

So far it's tons of fun. At stock speeds, I can hardly get temps to go up because the Cpu is only 95w and the Peltier has 130w cooling power. When I OV and up the clocks, the cores show their true heating ability.

I'd really like to try this with my Thuban. I'd probably go with copper over that to shim it back to standard height, then place the hyper 212 back on top of that. Or use the coin, as you did.

I just worry about all the heat going to the core and burning it up.

I'd really like to try this with my Thuban. I'd probably go with copper over that to shim it back to standard height, then place the hyper 212 back on top of that. Or use the coin, as you did.

I'd be worried also storm, considering good Thubans are getting tougher and tougher to find.

There is a tutorial I made at eocf. It needs an updating because my method is slightly different now than it was when Phenom II was first released on the AM2+ platform.

For the plate, you just reuse the IHS plate. Peel all the glue off so it doesn't hold it off the PCB. Or grind the edges down slightly. Done that a couple of times too.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to de-lidding it for you. I've done 7 processors including a 1090T. I have only killed one Cpu like this so far. 1 for 8 isn't half bad. :thup:

That's a pretty good offer :) And the odds are decent :D

Especially since I just moved and I don't have many of the tools I need.

Sent you a PM!

Replied!! It's NP, I can get'er naked, tested, and sent back within a day or two. Be my pleasure.

I'll send the IHS plate back with the cpu, you can make your own keychain. :attn:

OP topic update.....

Did some testing last night with some cores shut down. Temps are just dandy. The core temp readout doesn't budge on most simple benchmarks at 4.6ghz. Working it as a quad ATM, it really did lower the Cpu TDP a bunch.

I also need to try a different plate with just a little more thickness to it and see how that does for temps. Figuring anything under shut down temps is good for a TEC after I've reached the TEC's max cold output.

So far so good though. The clocks are getting higher. Hope to have some screenies soon!

Back