• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking fx8350 in BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cr4zy1ns4n3

Registered
So, I've had my build for a while now and I've decided I want to take my gaming experience to the next level with overclocking. My main question: where do I start? I'm running the following:

MB- Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
CPU- fx8350
RAM- Corsair xms 1600MHz (16GB, 2x8)
GPU- Diamond 7870 Double black diamond overclocked
CPU Cooler- H60 Refurb (corsair)
PSU- Antec 650W
Disk Drives- 1TB WD HDD
120GB Samsung SSD

If you guys need any more than that, let me know.

Anyway, I went to the AMD catalyst and "Auto tuned" through there. I got a system ok message, went to run bf4 with CPU overclocked to 4.5GHz, then it crashed. the fps sucked and I couldnt' do anything. I went to AMD Overdrive and autotuned through that. I tried the same with bf4 at 4.5GHz. Same issue. Read up on some forums, saw you should only overclock through BIOS. Cool, lets try that. Turned off the Comp and rebooted, entering BIOS. Keep in mind I've never done this before. Instead of the entire loadout screen I should've seen (according to the MOBO guide), I see a clock, an arrow for the mouse, and nothing but black. When I move the mouse, the black turns into the loadout screen I should see, but only where the mouse has been. Also, it only shows the upper left quadrant of the BIOS loadout. How do I fix this issue so I can navigate the BIOS to overclock the CPU. Then, how do I navigate and OC?

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You won't get anyplace of significance with that H60... Well, you maybe could, but you'd have to push/pull alot of air though it to get much any kinda overclock. I had the h60, h80, h100 and a few more closed loops and none of them allowed me any real good overclock I could run 24/7. This was on my 8150, and an extra hot one it seems.

I'm on 1-360 rad and 1-120 rad, all with push/pull fans and working right now to keep 5 GHz stable. I can get to 5.2, for some 8 core benching, but I really doubt that it would run more then 5 or 10 minutes under full load -- At least since my last loop configuration. Got new loops on all of the stuff so I am seeing much greater headroom, so having fun with it.

So, for a start, I'd say buy a better cooing system. You can play around with overclocking, but you will run up against the thermal wall pretty quickly, which will tend to overshadow your reasonable insight to your overclock settings.

-Rodger

Tuning through AMD overdrive isn't a terrible idea but, I feel a new overclocker should learn how to do it through the BIOS first. Here is a good guide to read so you have an idea about what will be required.

Now as far as the problem that you are talking about, you are only able to see the part of the screen where the mouse is over? This is a first for me, do you know if the Cpu is still overclocked through AMD overdrive? Do you have the Gpu overclocked at all? Maybe try shutting down the system, unplug the power cord and clear CMOS. The CMOS clear is at the bottom right of the Sabertooth between the Com1 and Usb 1 connections. Your motherboard guide should have directions on how to clear it. See if that helps.

Thanks, I was planning on building a closed complete immersion case later on, but for now I just want to go to 4.5 stably. My major question though was how to get my BIOS to work since i cant see 75% of it on my screen and it loads completely black with the clock and mouse indicators only. It's strange and frustrating and I can't do anything to tweak the OC if I can't utilize the BIOS

The CPU is not overclocked atm. It's tuned to be if I choose to set is as such, but it's at factory defaults right now. the GPU has overclocking enabled but isn't overclocked atm.

Will resetting the CMOS affect any of the info stored on my Disk Drives?
No

Thanks, I was planning on building a closed complete immersion case later on
If planning on doing this for looks then all the power to ya. If you're doing it to get good temps when overclocking, you're much better off building a custom watercooling setup.

a cmos reset rearly affects the data on a drive, befor a cmos reset, please,

#1, uninstall amd overdrive from your system.
#2, into bios, hit the f5 function key, hit enter to save settings and resart.
#3, allways start overclocking from a default system.
#4, please report back.

caddi...I would love to incorporate step #2 into this configuration. However, the whole problem I'm having right now is a lack of ability to perform step #2. My BIOS is inaccessible. That is why I'm asking about erasing the CMOS to begin with.

I'm about to shut down the system, I disabled all overclocking for any AMD software/hardware. I'll inform you of the results momentarily

right about that, lets reset the cmos.
but what happens when you reset to default in bios?

Problem is most likely that TV monitor isn't recognizing what resolution is being fed to it or the bios doesn't recognize what resolution the monitor needs. I suggest you use a regular 1920x1080 flat panel monitor. If you don't have a 1920x1080 flat panel monitor, then I'd suggest you try a different cable type to the monitor (hdmi, dvi, vga). There isn't anything in BIOS that shouldn't send your monitor a proper signal, unless they are not communicating correctly together.

-Rodger

Like I said, I've tried HDMI and the traditional RGB cables, but I don't have anything else that fits the graphics output or the tv input. Also, unfortunately this is the only monitor (aside from my 32 and 60in tvs) that I have access to. When connected with RGB, the image of the BIOS interface appears smaller, and shifts slightly, but it doesn't allow any more of the screen to be viewed as i swipe with the mouse to reveal it, even though there is more space to show it. My friend just bought the same motherboard and is appearing to have the same problem. is it, perhaps, motherboard/BIOS related? How else would I get the resolution to change?

It seems a number of HDTV's will handle 1024x768 over HDMI and others like this one will not.

You might want to check your TV if Overscan is enabled.

I use a samsung 40" 1080p tv as my one and only monitor. the bios displays at 1920x1080@60hz, according to the tv, with no over or underscan. this suggests its not the board that's causing your problem. if available you could try plugging it into a different hdmi port on the tv. the samsung i'm using for instance designates hdmi port 2 as the pc port...

Not all HDTVs will have this issue, many have a PC friendly HDMI input or have a toggle in the menu to allow for PC signals over HDMI.

Your TV might have a "Fit To Screen" option.

I'll have to look into the overscan/fit to screen options. I actually started tweaking the AMD catalyst software and the AMD overdrive in conjunction with eachother to up the voltage to each core as a new 100MHz step was reached and I've got an insane stable clock now at 4.4 with 126.8fps on BF4. I think I may stick with that for now, but I appreciate all the help you guys have been.

FYI:
1. Generally we expect P95 in Blend mode to run at least 2 hours without a hiccup to deem our system as stable. Other forms of stressors may be less than optimal.

2. If you are using AOD then have at it. Most of us do not and thus we have little to no experience as to how it may perform in the long run. I personally try my best to keep software overclockers off of my computer. Even the Asus Ai Suite newest version for my AMD chipset board is iffy. However it seems the Asus Ai Suite that is for the Intel boards seems not as iffy. Most of my computer issues are generated by software and not my hardware therefore I try and make it a practice to use the Bios for my overclocking.

3. I understand your wonky TV thingy and it is a beeatch, but some of the earlier TVs and some today that are of a cheaper persuasion have issues.

4. I bought a 40 inch LED TV from WallyMart during the hellacious Pre-Black Friday thing. Good deal alright. Wanted to program my DirectTV remote to the thing. Shett shett. In any of the THREE places that DTv shows how to do the deed, they leave out one MAJOR step. The left out step was uncovered by accident as the tech and I played "oh what to try and guess next". The reason I bring this up is that I bought one lesser branded TV once before and it would NOT work with the Remote I wanted it to work with and had worked on at least 3 TVs previously. I took that TV back. Fork it if it will not work as I want it to. Hehehe Luck man.
RGone...ster.

So, I ran the CPU at 4.3GHz for about an hour and 45 minutes before my game crashed and then I kept playing with voltages as it kept booting me from my game and lagging horribly. After a few tries it blue screened. Long story short, I'm gonna try all the TVs in my house lol. I reset the factory settings for CPU and GPU. Works now. Just iffy about playing with AOD and the catalyst now lol. I NEED to be able to SEE my BIOS

Back