• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1156 vs 1366

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
Is there any real benefit going either way? Other than Triple SLI or Cross Fire, and Triple channel memory. Any other benefits?

Ok, I'm in the market for a new Intel system. Trying to budget the cash for it. So I'm trying to determine if I will see a gaming performance difference between the two. I can see already its alot more money for the CPU. the 950 would be big money Since I was looking @ the 860 just the other day for $229 @ Micro center. Will that extra $300 be warranted in performance or will it be a waste of hard earned cash?

Thoughts?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=619545
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=619246

As far as performance differences, there is some great information in the threads I linked.

As far as the chips go, what are your overclocking goals? on the x58 side I wouldn't suggest the 950/960 over the 920, unless you are feeling the need for the higher multiplier. 4ghz on the 920 is almost as easy as turning it on, if you're going to be pushing 4.5+, the higher multi would be justified. I'm not sure that there's much the 860 can do that the 920 can't. If you do go for the upper x58, get the 960 over the 950. (As recited to me by all the extreme benchers) the 950 utilizes an even Turbo multiplier which equals... not desirable for overclocking. The 960 will run up to 25.
Do you need the 3way SLI capabilities? (For some reason I'm remembering you're a highend single GPU guy... I could be wrong)

Honestly theres no reason to buy a 950, a i7 920 with moderate cooling will OC well past stock clocked 950. And the i7 920's are generally available at microcenter for $199. The DO stepping can often be pushed to 4ghz or greater with good air or water cooling. Granted you'll spend a bit more on a mobo and memory for the package but also with the i9 gulftown cpu's coming you'll have some nice upgradability down the road.

(For some reason I'm remembering you're a highend single GPU guy... I could be wrong)

No, you're correct... Looking to turn over a new leaf... and go two high end cards in SLI or Cross Fire.... No just trying to keep the costs down... I think the 860 can OC just as well as the 920.. 4Ghz without any issues too.

I found a site that compares the P55 to the x58. Two cards in SLI (GTX 260 216) and single on both mobo's and there was not much difference between the two...

if you want to do some fairly serious oc'ing get 1366...because of the fewer pin configuration of 1156 they are a lot more susceptible to burning up on higher oc's....plus 1366 is more future proof.

I think the 860 can OC just as well as the 920.. 4Ghz without any issues too.

That's what I hear as well. So x58 only pulls away at HIGH resolutions, and 3+ GPU's. Looks like you're going P55 huh? :)
Not sure what kind of OC you're going to be pulling, but be aware of the Foxconn socket issues in P55, might want to just stick with a Lotes socket board, and avoid all the hubub.

Not sure what kind of OC you're going to be pulling, but be aware of the Foxconn socket issues in P55, might want to just stick with a Lotes socket board, and avoid all the hubub.
:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head Unless you are DIcing it or using LN2 it won't affect your board.

I'm in the same boat as far as what socket to go with. I'm leaning toward 1366 because of the gulftown (6 core) cpu's that will be coming out. That and the limited pcie lanes on 1156.

However, I want to see what that new hydra 200 chip will do as far as sli/crossfire goes. I'd love to pair my 2 8800gt's with a 5870 X2 when they come out. But as of now the only board I'm seeing with that chip is a 1156 board.

I've always been patient when it comes to buying new gear and it has worked well for me over the years. My primary focus now is gaming so max oc doesn't matter. Unless I get board and do a dice day.:beer:

IMHO x58 paired with the hydra 200 chip would make my decision very easy.

My brother got a 1156 board with a 750 and loves it. So you will like what ever you decide to do.

Good luck.

I'm in the same boat as far as what socket to go with. I'm leaning toward 1366 because of the gulftown (6 core) cpu's that will be coming out. That and the limited pcie lanes on 1156.

However, I want to see what that new hydra 200 chip will do as far as sli/crossfire goes. I'd love to pair my 2 8800gt's with a 5870 X2 when they come out. But as of now the only board I'm seeing with that chip is a 1156 board.

I've always been patient when it comes to buying new gear and it has worked well for me over the years. My primary focus now is gaming so max oc doesn't matter. Unless I get board and do a dice day.:beer:

IMHO x58 paired with the hydra 200 chip would make my decision very easy.

My brother got a 1156 board with a 750 and loves it. So you will like what ever you decide to do.

Good luck.

The 16x PCI-e vs 8x PCI-e seems to be all marketing. Even though the cards are @ 16x does not mean its utilizing all of the lanes... It is clear that having two @ 8x does about the same as 2 @ 16x. Will the average Joe notice? Probably not. However, having the option to go to a hexacore in the future where nothing supports it, is well... silly and wasteful IMO.. I can't imagine the cost of the i9 series. I'm just excited to see the core i3's, which will make it in the budget arena...

Id go for 1366 for 2 reasons. First is the 920 clocks much better than the 860, and on less voltage and is also a bit more refined. 2nd is upgrade path. Everyone is saying i9 will be EXTREME cpu only, but I find that VERY hard to believe. I think theres a good possibility to be seeing i9 on the 1366 platform within the next year and itll give x58 a bit of an upgrade path whereas there is nothing planned for 1156 currently.

Plus cost, x58 is about the same. I agree that x16 lanes dont do much, but it does add a slight bit. Also, definitely get the 920. 920 can usually do 200x20 without a hitch. 950 IMO is a waste unless you really want 4.5ghz daily or more.

Id go for 1366 for 2 reasons. First is the 920 clocks much better than the 860, and on less voltage and is also a bit more refined. 2nd is upgrade path. Everyone is saying i9 will be EXTREME cpu only, but I find that VERY hard to believe. I think theres a good possibility to be seeing i9 on the 1366 platform within the next year and itll give x58 a bit of an upgrade path whereas there is nothing planned for 1156 currently.

Plus cost, x58 is about the same. I agree that x16 lanes dont do much, but it does add a slight bit. Also, definitely get the 920. 920 can usually do 200x20 without a hitch. 950 IMO is a waste unless you really want 4.5ghz daily or more.

4.5ghz sure does sound nice....

1366 = longevity

1156 = nehalem on a budget (except as far as I can tell, you really do not save much money going p55)

and yah even an intel n00b like me managed to air cool my 920 on a $125 refurb board over 4.6 GHz :)

Stock volts 200x20 is easy 1.35 volts 200x21 is easy. after that the demand goes up pretty sharply though I need more vcore than most recommend but that is not neccesairly a bad thing. undervolting is not always a good idea.

Think my max blendable speed was 4.4 with HTT on temps were HIGH though at 80+C. was running about 1.4ish for that.

(Past 4.4 I did not even bother running prime ;) who cares, if it was my main rig it would be running at 1GHz 8 threads :) ) :p

Yeah, but even with a 950, 4.5 isnt a guarantee so its a gamble at best. If you want 4.5 daily, youd almost need a 975 to be safe. Not only that, with the right motherboard, you can use a 21x multi with the 920 which makes it ALOT easier to hit 4.5ghz. With the stuff in my sig, I maxed out at 4.62ghz I think it was. 219 bclk was the highest I could obtain with this board, but it will also lock the 21x full time so thats a nice feature :D

Yah I just picked up a E758 off of ebay for under $200 shipped. HOPEFULLY this will stop my CPU throttling past 4.6 ish

Yah I just picked up a E758 off of ebay for under $200 shipped. HOPEFULLY this will stop my CPU throttling past 4.6 ish

My E758 would do 228 bclk for SuPi 1M, nice buy.

You're seriously going to be happy either way you go Joe (P55 or x58)!

Yah I know Intel boards are more expensive, there is no way I could justify the 3-400 needed for the next step up from the E758. If it still throttles I will be ****ed and the whole setup is going on eBay and I will pick up another AMD rig , cuz I intend to do some chill water this winter :D

well kind of comparing both... to be honest, i would rather have gone P55 in the first place, just couldnt wait on P55 to get released..

for be both oc about the same... though it does seem that the 860 runs a bit hotter... though im sure a die revision will fix that like they did with with LGA1366 cpus.

well either way you wont be disappointed joe, but i would say LGA1366 for the i9 cpu. even though i would personally stick with LGA1156.

Back