• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

127.0.0.1 local host question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing. It's just assigned by either DHCP or manually.

Now, if its on an actual domain it may be a router, firwewall or dns server. But if it's just an everyday computer it doesn't mean anything special and if that computer isnt on a network you can set that number to what every you want.

Should I be able to ping that address and receive replies even if no network card is installed? I'm asking because someone had told me that if you ping that address and receive replies you have a good network card. That wouldn't make sense because the network card already would have a different IP address and MAC address assigned to it. I had tried it in Linux. I removed my network card from my laptop and was able to ping the 127.0.0.1 address and get replies.

127.0.0.1 is called the LOCALHOST address or the LOOPBACK. What your puter does is it sends info to a port that is open on your puter, and recieves it through another port. There are many instances where this is used, like I play CS with bots and I use my LOCALHOST address.
Hope this helps,
Peace

EDIT: you can ping yourself because it doesn't have to go through a network, your computer makes the network inside of itself

As stated above, 127.0.0.1 is the local loopback address and the TCP/IP stack can be tested with the ping command. The NIC or modem must be installed as well as TCP/IP for it to function normally, though in a test environment you can install the MS Loopback adapter and test the stack or install networking components without being connected to a network. Pinging the local loopback is a good first step in trobleshooting connections, though you can also ping your IP address as well(which confirms the stack and some functionality in the card).

Xaotic said:
The NIC or modem must be installed as well as TCP/IP for it to function normally, though in a test environment you can install the MS Loopback adapter and test the stack or install networking components without being connected to a network. Pinging the local loopback is a good first step in trobleshooting connections, though you can also ping your IP address as well(which confirms the stack and some functionality in the card).
You can ping 127.0.0.1 and get a reply even if no modem is attached.If you have a modem then it's basicaly the same thing cuz no packet leaves the PC.

Back