• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

127 gig barrier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thefly

Just wondering if someone could offer the mathmatical reason behind the 127 gig harddrive barrier.

I'm sure it must have something to do with a maximum addressing limitation of some sort.

Anyone know the answer?

I think it is to do with the limits of FAT32 ie. 32k blocks, maximum number of blocks - 2^32 - something like that.

yes, I think that works out.

no. That is not correct. The file allocation table has nothing to do with the hard drives physical limitation.

fat 32 Supports up to 2 terabytes in size: Compared to 2GB of FAT16, 1000 times more.

Ntfs supports even more.

I think the 127 gig limit has to do with enhanced bios translation modes.

Remember the 504 meg limitation and then the 8 gig limitation after that?

It must have something to do with the bios and it's limitations to addressing the size of the drive.

But i'm not sure.

thefly said:
no. That is not correct. The file allocation table has nothing to do with the hard drives physical limitation.

fat 32 Supports up to 2 terabytes in size: Compared to 2GB of FAT16, 1000 times more.

Ntfs supports even more.

I think the 127 gig limit has to do with enhanced bios translation modes.

Remember the 504 meg limitation and then the 8 gig limitation after that?

It must have something to do with the bios and it's limitations to addressing the size of the drive.

But i'm not sure.

Aahhhh!
C/H/S? I think I know what you are on about...

"The size limit is an artifact of the original ATA design, which uses 28 bit
addressing for the sectors on a drive. Two to the power of 28 is
268,435,456; at 512 bytes of data per sector, that's 137,438,953,472 bytes,
maximum. You can't have any more sectors on an old-style ATA drive. That works out to 128 GB on thenose almost.

The new standard that maxtor and other companies are using is 48-bit addressing for the sectors on a drive, giving more than 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes) of storage

Great! thanks madman.

ultra ata 133 is the new 48 bit format? I don't think seagate or ibm is following this are they?

Huh, I would have thought it was getting to a physical size restriction of not being able to put data tracks too close together for resolution reasons.:D
Much like CD couldn't jump to DVD until a mass produceable laser was available to read the much denser resolution that a DVD has.

Diggrr said:
Huh, I would have thought it was getting to a physical size restriction of not being able to put data tracks too close together for resolution reasons.:D
Much like CD couldn't jump to DVD until a mass produceable laser was available to read the much denser resolution that a DVD has.

That is factored in but IBM just came up with a way to realy pack in the data. the 144 petabytes is more theoretical then actual. It just gives them lots of headroom to work with.

Yeah, I saw the news conference IBM had on TechTv one night. I usually expect new tech to reach us by the next generation (people generations, not computer generations). For example, there's a lot of really cool stuff from Comdex and such that I can never find in the real world...I just expect it to be released at a reasonable price by the time my kids drive.

Pessimists' are never dissapointed, only pleasantly surprised.:beer:

thefly said:
Great! thanks madman.

ultra ata 133 is the new 48 bit format? I don't think seagate or ibm is following this are they?

Ultra ATA 133 isn't the new standard - there is a different on being pursued I think

Back