• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16 port or more switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How good are you at Linux? Setting up a Linux based server to support Windows clients as a domain controller is possible. I have done it in my own lab environment just for the experience. It isn't impossible, but it isn't as easy as using Windows either. Unless you are really good with Linux it probably isn't such a great idea as anytime there is a slight issue you will be called to fix it. I don't know about your scenario, but most times when I see problems people want them fixed ASAP, and don't want to hear let me read up and check online.

On the other hand if all you want is centralized file storage then Linux using Samba could work well enough. Same goes for a print server using CUPS. So what are the goals for the server? That will help put a lot in determining if a Linux based setup is feasible.

I have not found out yet if Accelerated Reader, which is really the only program they are buying, if it has a linux based edition for thier server software. If not then then I'm stuck with windows.

I'm not an expert in linux, I can still do a heck of a lot more in windows than linux, but I've been trying to switich over to linux for a while.

Thanks for the link to the dell.

Just a few things.
1. uplink on a switch is not necesary, connecting switches is as simple as running a cable between each one.
2. A mention of SBS2k3, while I have a few beefs with SBS its a great small biz solution. however its starting price is ~500bucks for the first 5 users + about 450$ for every 5 more (and you will need 15 CALs and therefore putting you way over budget) On that same note if the users do not need an exchange server there is little reason to use SBS, yes it comes with SQL and sharepoint and so-on but exchange is the big factor. And even for SQL there are free alternatives and if the users didnt ASK for sharepoint by name then they dont need it. (oh and any of the MS server OSes are about the same cost, win2k server is maybe 30% cheaper due to age but still isnt cheap) Having said that try your best to avoid using a desktop OS if possible as they have some cumbersome limitations compared to their server counterparts (one major one being concurrent connections).

2b. If the users will not be using exchange (that doesnt mean that cant get email from another source) or SQL a huge amount of RAM is not really necesary, for ~15 people a Raid 1, P4 or even better a single proc Xeon (with a board capable of 2 for expansion) and 2 gigs of RAM (with room for more) will be a perfect starting server. If it is only hosting this one application and some printing.
So basically if there is little need to host big applications or use SBS don't go crazy on the server but dont skimp out either, you dont want to have to upgrade 6 months later when they add a couple more users or want to host other things on it.

3. Raid 5 is like SBS, overkill, Raid 1 and a backup solution will do you just fine for a lot less money (you would need a backup solution for RAID 5 if you used it anyways)

Wow, that was long-winded >.>

hkgonra said:
I would also look at smeserver for your server. It is based on Centos and has pretty much everything you would want in a server with a very easy to use admin interface.
http://smeserver.org/

im just playing about with SME server after reading your post. its a really nice OS, i prefere it over using SWAT on samba any day..

If this school can meet the requirements, techsoup is a great low cost way of acquiring the software needed for the server.

Since SBS2003 R2 is coming soon you might want to acquire a licence which includes software assurance so you have upgrade rights to the new version.

eaglescouter said:
If this school can meet the requirements, techsoup is a great low cost way of acquiring the software needed for the server.

Since SBS2003 R2 is coming soon you might want to acquire a licence which includes software assurance so you have upgrade rights to the new version.

I don't think the private school qualifies as non-profit, so techsoup is out.

Reviving this thread. I can't wait to get finished with this job and run away! My god, these people are running the private school by the seat of their pants! They are laying off a bunch of people soon, my mother was told her job was safe...anyway do to inherit lack of funds at the school I don't think they will be able to afford a sever right now. So my question is can I get them a switch, and then a small 4 port router or something, and hook it up so they can have internet on all the computers? Use the router for the DHCP, or is that unnecessary? Also whats better a D-Link DES-1024D 24 port switch or a Dell PowerConnect 2024 24 port switch? Both in the classy.

Last edited:
yeah you can.

just get a router (this will be your DHCP server)
connect it to your switch
connect all pcs to the switch

everyone has the internet!

both of the above are switches and i personally prefere the dell.

gorilly said:
yeah you can.

just get a router (this will be your DHCP server)
connect it to your switch
connect all pcs to the switch

everyone has the internet!

both of the above are switches and i personally prefere the dell.

I ment to put switches. So anyone have a favorite router? Maybe get them a Linksys WRT54G? They don't need wirelss but with the custom firmware, better routing? I don't want to overload a home router...

setup a cheapo smoothwall box. I know on my network with 10 or more pc's connected using the net many of the 4 port cheapo routers tend to bog down and give crappy network performance.

Second vote for the Smoothwall. If the budget is tight and it will only be a very basic router then an old PIII or even PII would work. Better than any consumer router you could buy for more money.

Shelnutt2 said:
I ment to put switches. So anyone have a favorite router? Maybe get them a Linksys WRT54G? They don't need wirelss but with the custom firmware, better routing? I don't want to overload a home router...

sorry i didnt mean to sound moody

smoothwall is your best bet,

i have used a linksys AG241 with 30 users before and it was fine.

gorilly said:
sorry i didnt mean to sound moody

smoothwall is your best bet,

i have used a linksys AG241 with 30 users before and it was fine.

You didn't sound moody...anyway so I should grab the dell and then a cheapo smoothwall box and everyone is happily browsing the web, and behind a firewall.

It should be noted that if Shelnut2 is using a gigabit LAN, the posted links to buy switches may not be an optimal purchase as they are 11/100 Mbps switches.

Ascii2 said:
It should be noted that if Shelnut2 is using a gigabit LAN, the posted links to buy switches may not be an optimal purchase as they are 11/100 Mbps switches.

No everything has 10/100 NICs, so I'm fine. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Back