• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4B or 2.53 and overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tarrant

Registered
Hey guys, been a while since I've been around here I can tell you. If any are willing, I need some expert advice on a buy I'm about to make and overclocking.

So far, I've narrowed it down to either a P4 2.4B or a 2.53 paired up with an ASUS P4B533 motherboard. Along with a Swiftech MCX4000, I'd like to try hitting 3Ghz....a tricky proposition I've noticed depending on the stepping. Newegg is where I've been looking and pretty much decided to buy.

Question 1) Stepping aside for a minute, which of these two CPUs do you think I'd have the best luck with hitting 3Ghz?

2) I'm not married to getting a P4B533 because I've been seeing a lot of people who have the P4PE. Is any one better than the other or is it just features?

Thx for the help guys!

Well as far as having a better chance of hitting 3GHz++ you should go with the 2.53GHz P4. But your odds are also good to hit 3GHz++ with the 2.4Ghz P4, I know my 2.4B P4 with B0 stepping will run rock solid at 2.98GHz (166fsb x 18) on my asus P4S533... the damn board only lets me go up to 166 on the fsb so thats as far as she will go for now... oh yeah i have to give about 1.7V for it also at that speed.

Save cash, go with the 2.4b, you should be able to do it with one of those mobos, if you wanna be ultra confedent get the 2.53b

Good deal. How about the motherboards? I've noticed that a lot of people are opting for the P4PE over the P4B533 and I'm not entirely sure why.

The i845PE chipset is awesome, that's what is on the Asus P4PE (plus it supports hyperthreading). The P4B533 is a good mobo, but it uses the i845G chipset. I'd spend a few bucks more and get the P4PE or look into the Abit BE7 (which also uses the i845PE).

I'm seeing a whole bunch of variants of these P4PE motherboards over at Newegg. They've got the P4PE/L, P4PE R/L/SATA, P4PE, etc...all at different prices. While it's pretty simple to just look on there and see the specs for each to figure out the difference, which of these boards are people generally going for when they buy?

The P4PE/L gives you onboard LAN, the SATA is serial ATA which allows you to use the brand new serial harddrives. I think the P4PE is just the plain jane version.

Tarrant said:
I'm seeing a whole bunch of variants of these P4PE motherboards over at Newegg. They've got the P4PE/L, P4PE R/L/SATA, P4PE, etc...all at different prices. While it's pretty simple to just look on there and see the specs for each to figure out the difference, which of these boards are people generally going for when they buy?

all of them are great...

yet I didn't need raid or SATA...so it's the p4pe/L that I got.

mica

I hear that many of the P4PE boards are plagued with the"cold boot" problem. Has anyone here had any experiences with that and the P4PE?

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to decide which one (the 2.4B or the 2.53) will give me better chances at hitting 3Ghz. I know it's a roll of the dice but anything that'll give me a tad better chances...well, I'll take it. Anyone want to offer their opinion?

Tarrant said:
Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm just trying to decide which one (the 2.4B or the 2.53) will give me better chances at hitting 3Ghz. I know it's a roll of the dice but anything that'll give me a tad better chances...well, I'll take it. Anyone want to offer their opinion?

it's a hard choice....

the 2.4b will may give you better bandwith, yet it's still luck of the draw if you make it to 3.0ghz.

C1 is no better then a B0 stepping.....yet I like the C1 listed above (3.0ghz at default voltage).

some C1 2.4b's don't make it to 3.0ghz land....yet most B0's do make it at 1.725 vcore or less.

I need 1.712 vcore (real voltage).

the 2.53 is the best choice, yet don't expect more then 3.1ghz.

again, it's always, luck of the draw.

the p4pe is also the best choice for a great OC.

I'm using the P4PE/L since I don't need raid or SATA.
nice at $125.00

good luck

mica

i think i saw a $95 p4pe/L at newegg (refurb? or plain?) or maby it was just plain idk. this a good deal?~RCTG

*edit* just checked newegg and a refurb /L is $80 is that a great deal or what?

RCtruckguy said:
i think i saw a $95 p4pe/L at newegg (refurb? or plain?) or maby it was just plain idk. this a good deal?~RCTG

*edit* just checked newegg and a refurb /L is $80 is that a great deal or what?

get it now.:cool:

if all goes well, you'll have a rock'n, OC'n mobo.
great find.

mica

Back