• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.53@ 155fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sakure

Registered
Well I got my 2.53 running at 155FSB/2950Mhz. Everything was stable, but Im worried bout my RAM.. its a single chip 256MB 333Mhz DDR Kingston. It runs at 388Mhz with the new FSB setting and its bandwith comes close to a 400Mhz DDR's according to Sandra. This all seems good but will I be damaging my system(RAM)? Im using Volcano7+ HSF for the CPU, 4 intake casing fans to cool the 2 HDD's and the old intel CPU fan to cool the GF2.

Thanks. :)
BTW idle CPU temp is 48-49 degrees.
edit: Im kinda a newbie overclocker so bear with me

thats pretty toasty for an idle temp.

i'd get a better cooler or drop your o/c :)

my load temp is 52. and i would like that to be under 50.

more voltage will help your memory stability. just keep it under 2.8 and you can't damage it.

also.. Welcome to the Forums!! :D

Eh? I registered last month. :p
I didnt change my memory voltage, so I suppose its 2.6. I did push it from CL2.5 to CL2.0 tho.
About the temps... Its prolly my BIOS reading the temps wrong. With the stock HSF and w/o overclocking load temps were above 68c. :heh:

Sakure said:
Eh? I registered last month. :p
I didnt change my memory voltage, so I suppose its 2.6. I did push it from CL2.5 to CL2.0 tho.
About the temps... Its prolly my BIOS reading the temps wrong. With the stock HSF and w/o overclocking load temps were above 68c. :heh:
last month but i go by your stars which you just got you first star. :)

stock memory voltage should be 2.5

its displayed as 2.6 tho. Nevermind that, so I guess my system is safe?
about the star... well, prolly because i only come here when i need to rant on some hardware or ask for support? :D

Sakure said:
its displayed as 2.6 tho. Nevermind that, so I guess my system is safe?
about the star... well, prolly because i only come here when i need to rant on some hardware or ask for support? :D
somewhat. i'd really look into that temp though.

I know Maxvla has already said something about, but that cpu temp is really really high. What is your load temp? I wouldn't be surprised if your doesn't throttle alittle bit.

I cant do anything. The heatsink isnt even hot and it sure doesnt look like its in contact with something at 50degrees. Im using AS3 Thermal paste too.

my load temp is around 58, I think. I didnt really check it since the alarm sounds at 60c.

SCARY!

Its scary how you have almost the same setup i do. Im running the Stock Intel Fan on top of the Siluro. I have 3200XMS and its running at 440DDR so im very impressed. The thermaltake Fan i adjust depending on my applications, and no i never heard they sitnk
it's the heatsink.....some of the Volcano7+'s stink.
until today................??

Running SETI my temps never go above 51C at full speed on the Thermaltake (sounds like a leafblower). And I would like to remind you that im not using AS3 but some no name silver crap I found at a local vendor. Also my Vcore is set to 1.65V on a 2.4b OCd to 2979 @ 165FSB.

So my dear OC buddy, try this:

1) Clean off your heatsink and apply some rubbing alcohol to it and put it on a piece of glass or a mirror to check; If its a perfect design it should stick to it with a suction force (most likely will) as Thermaltake makes some good products.

2) Clean of the cpu with rubbing alcohol and reapply a very VERY thin layer of AS3 to it.

3) Stick the ThermalTake back on and set the fan to Medium.

4) If possible run a cold air duct to the thermaltake, I will post a picture for you tonight when I get home.

5) Doing the above dropped my temps significanty! Over the stock fan setup, but then again these are my individual results.

Good Luck Sakure and tell us how it turned out.

Kam

Whoa, thats something for me to do. Im going to take the driving tests tommorow and its late now in my place so I might take sometime to come back here again with things done. I'll have to find some alcohol too, what does it have to be pure alcohol or...?
About the AS3, the layer I have applied on my cpu is just enough to cover the plate from being visible. The temps I get is probably because of the room temperature being 29c too. Still, it shouldnt be that high... I'll try to get some accurate temp readings after this.

Oh BTW... have you heard/seen an Abit Otes? Its a mad overclocking card. Other than all the possible platings are made of copper, it sort of has a built-in liquid coolant to cool the GPU and RAM chips, along with a 7000rpm fan to cool the whole thing. It even has an exhaust passage at the back of the card where air is being blown out. I wanted to pick it up (AFAIK only about 20 of them are in my country. Jeez) that day but I didnt have the money...dear me. It costed $168, is a GF4Ti4200 capable of doing 4600 speeds and probably a little more as the guy in the shop has done. ...AND I FAILED TO TAKE IT OFF THE SHELVES!

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll try doing it ASAP. :)

edit: IIRC it has 3.6ns 128MBDDR RAM...
edit2: BTW, I just love the V7+ HSF, regardless of what others say about it. But mica why is it bad?

Okay, I got some accurate temp readings...or atleast the program says so.
Idle temp: 45c
Load temp w/ fan@medium: 61-62c

Hmm. I dont know what to say.

Last edited:
BTW, I just love the V7+ HSF, regardless of what others say about it. But mica why is it bad?

sorry, last night I couldn't sleep....as you can see I'm up again.

some of the v7+'s do not sit right on the cpu.

you might also get a good foot print, yet if your HS is not warm, and your temps are high......

I like what kamilkluczewski said about testing the HS.

btw, what mobo are you using???

good luck.

mica

I'll test the footing then, and lap it if lapping be needed. Thanks for the info. :)
Im using a MSI-845PE MAX motherboard. I dont know much of it, honestly, cept for its quite reliable and I'd be much satisfied with it if only it had more than 2 RAM slots. Its using AMI BIOS, which is quite young if what I heard was right.

Offtopic, but talk about not sleeping... I have my driving written tests tommorow at 8, and here I am at 1am not sleeping. I hope I'll make it...

I don't know what mobo you have, but I bet that a bios update would fix it... I've seen many asus boards that had temp readings wrong by 10+ degrees, and it was simply fixed by updating the bios. but lapping wouldn't hurt...

Well I've tried looking for a BIOS update. It was the latest before but they recently released a newer version which only adds a new feature in the BIOS. I wouldnt want to take the risk to flash my BIOS unless the update is necassary or worthwhile. Thanks for the suggestion tho. :)

I had the same problem with my Volcano 7+, it was not seated in the carrage correctly, twisted it a little and it snaped in place.

These guys are right they are not the best around, the mounting clips leave a lot to be desired.

Good luck hope you get it fixed.

Later

Roadwarrior1956 said:
I had the same problem with my Volcano 7+, it was not seated in the carrage correctly, twisted it a little and it snaped in place.

These guys are right they are not the best around, the mounting clips leave a lot to be desired.

Good luck hope you get it fixed.

Later
AZN has a volcano 7+ and that was his problem as well. not making good contact.

Back