• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8C or 2.8E?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SimplyTron

Registered
Last edited:
SimplyTron said:
I dont have much money to spend on new stuff but I need something faster. Which chip is going to be the best for OCing, and being stable with low heat/voltaes? I want it to last a while.

so..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-161&depa=1

or

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-170&depa=0

Also... how would a ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe work with this chip?

I would go with the 2.8C if you are concerned about heat. That MOBO should be fine

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
ok this is a shure fact!! i have the same mobo as you and i just did the same upgrade.

100% u want the 2.8C the 2.8E runs way to hot u wont be able to OverClock it on air safely.

the 2.8C will be what u want it runns cooler ( way cooler at least 10C cooler on stock cooling)

and the 2.8C are very good at OC'ing i can run my 2.8C at 3.2Ghz with only upping the FSB not touching the voltages at all.

you want the 2.8C

Yes, theres a lot of issues on ocing the Prescotts... Like high CPU temperature and mosfet overheating due to high power consumption....

I´d go...no wait, I did go for the 2.8C :) , if your lucky it ocs really great (look at sig).
If you have the opportunity you maybe want to look for a M0 stepping (SL6Z5). I dont know where you can handpick CPUs in the States but someone here surely knows..
Some say the M0s werent that good anymore, but I think different since you can be sure that the 2.8c M0 previosly was a 3.2 or even a 3.4 CPU... So you most likely get ~3.3GHz min at stock Vcore...

Yes, a 2.8C SL6Z5 is a very good CPU. Probably one of the most underrated CPUs in the forums IMO.. If you have a Microcenter close to you, they will look for this specific stepping. You'll pay a little more, but SL6Z5's are darn hard to find.

The only thing about that motherboard (I have one) is that to overclock real high you have to do a droop mod to stabalize the vcore. I am going to do mine this weekend. I can get my 3.4C to boot to windows over 4Ghz but the voltage droops .12-.15 so its not stable and it takes a lot of voltage just to boot into windows 1.725(don't worry I know this is high but it was for about 1 minute just to get a screen shot of 4Ghz). The mod seems pretty easy but just something extra to do and to keep in mind. Besides that I love this board!!!!!

I hear that the Abit IC7 is a good overclocking board also.

2.8c on air, 2.8E h20 or better.
ic7 everytime over the asus offering. too weak on the power delivery without the droop mod.im seeing guys everyday having this issue.

SimplyTron
Which chip is going to be the best for OCing, and being stable with low heat/voltaes?

If this is what you want go with the northwood!!

Prescotts do not shine until the are overclocked but they have to many heat issues and need a strong powersupply.

Some of the board manufacturers lock out the ablity to raise the V Core when using a Prescott which might hinder your results. I guess I got lucky with mine as it will hit 3.6 on the stock Vcore but I had to make a mod to my case to keep it cool :mad: For normal day to day running most of the time I have chosen to back it down to 3.5

Like Deathstar states unless you are planing on runing H20 or making a mod to your case to keep it cool stay away from the prescott

Dave

Go for the 2.8c, mine's a D1 stepping i think and i can run 240fsb-3.36 effectively stable at default voltage.

Oh crap you can't run an overclocked Prescott using air cooling.

Currently running a 2.8E @ 3.75 ghz at default vcore here using a Thermaltake Spark 7+ of all things to cool it, and i'm only running my HSF at half it's maximum speed, with a maximum Prime stable CPU temp of 60 degreec C with 21.5 degree ambients.

Seriously, try actually running a Prescott before bagging one. Because I own both a 2.4C that runs at a max stable speed of 3.3 ghz and a 2.8E that runs prime stable at 3.75 ghz, and would probably go higher with more vcore, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that most of the 'trendy' Prescott bagging is unfounded.

Yes, they run hotter than a Northwood, but they don't run 'that much' hotter and who cares how hot they run when they don't bat an eyelid at the high er than normal temps?

Back