• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 issues here/Laptop is shocking me and my HDD is missing from disk management

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Hey guys, just bought the laptop I've been saving up for and I love it except for the intermittent shocks on my wrists it gives me. My old Asus laptop made of the same brushed aluminum?? and my Corsair K70 is made of the same metal and does it too but since I don't rest my wrists on it it only happens every now and then. Also for some reason the disk management does not see my 1 tb HDD. IRST sees it but I can't use it or anything. Here is a pic from my cell at the moment till I get finished setting this new laptop up. I have no idea why I'm getting shocked but it seems quite popular among laptops on google. And then there's this. ????:shock:

acer1.jpg
acer2.jpg
acer3.jpg

Attachments

• acer 3.jpg
    acer 3.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 128
  • acer 4.jpg
    acer 4.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 135
  • acer 5.jpg
    acer 5.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Does the bios see the drive? Device manager?
If device manager doesnt see it, try to right click on ide ata/atapi and choose scan for hardware changes and see if it pops up.

Did you add the drive to this laptop or did it come with?

Have you reached out to acer support (for both issues) since its a brand spanking new laptop?

Last edited:
Bios did not see the drive. It came with the laptop. And I just bought it yesterday so I haven't had the chance to call them.

I edited as you posted.. please check my post again for additional instructions. :)

Have you tried to reset bios defaults?

According to irst, its treating the drive as a recovery partition which is typically hidden??

Id make that call... ;)

Why would that help when it isnt found on the bios? The OS sees it in some capacity (IRST) already.

Did you reset bios defaults?

Make that call to support before you go spend time on an os reinstall is my take. :)

Edit: be sure ti share with them your issue about being shocked as well.. that could be related...

Last edited:
Well, now I've done it. Laptop is even slower now after os reinstall and I can't find the required drivers for everything, not even on that models page on the acer's website. ****! I guess I'm just not supposed to have a laptop. Everyone I get is a POS.

I ended up getting it back to factory settings and all, but it's still doing that weird thing with the drives. Gonna take it back to MC tomorrow and get a replacement and check it before I leave the store. The static/electricity thing isn't the laptop. it does that with my keyboard and the old asus laptop I had too. It's the brushed aluminum I think. Creates static.

So I exchanged that laptop and not it shows the other drive. I made sure I checked it before I left and there was the drive. Think it was a bum HDD or did I do something wrong? I really don't feel like driving all the way back to MC again.

Isnt it working, the one you exchanged? Why is tjere a question to return to mc?

Seems like a bad hdd, yeah.

I took the laptop back, the hard drive failed, got another one and saved $85 because of the tax free weekend.
I did post twice, I was drunk. Lol

Last edited:
Damn IRST!

Having this new Acer Aspire 7 A717-72G-76V1 (not sure if I ever told you guys the model of my new laptop). It was my fault I screwed up the 2nd hard drive in there through IRST. Can't remember what I actually did but it made my 2nd drive (the HDD) disappear. I figured it just failed. But nonetheless I got an exchange. Now I'm in fear of doing that same thing again. And the electric feeling is because the outlet wasn't grounded. I just put on slippers, all is well. So should I delete IRST or what?

IRST = infrared search and track wikipedia

Why would you install this on a laptop?

How could installing such a software application mess up a HDD?

Your "electric feeling" is puzzling.... I used to kill wall mounted thermostats with static electricity from walking(not on carpet, but on tile!). I started wearing only leather foot gear, so far so good.

Edit: Ha! I didn't google far enough, IRST = Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. Doesn't that come with your Windows installation anyway?

Back