• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Pelts= 2 Rads? Always?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kchip

Sorry if Ive been a pain on the forums the last few days fellas! Thanks to you all , Ive nailed down some issues that have held me back. I went to RAdio Shack and got a real PSU for my 226. Works great. 13.5V 25 A. CPU is 22C idle @ 2.00v

Now Ive got a Heater core I snagged at an Auto shop , its pretty big , 10X8X3",3000 RPM 120mm fan, 2 Gallon res. Problem- Afer 2 hours of gaming , water is getting hot hot.

Is adding another 10X8X3 Heatercore gonna push me to the promised land? Does using a 226w + 80w mean I HAVE to have 2 rads?

I would say go for another rad, if your water is getting warm thin you must need more cooling. If you do use another rad make sure you have the 2 rads in a parallel fashon.

You'd probably get more benefit from putting more air through your heatercore, than putting a second heatercore in the same airflow.

That heater core is big enough you could probably run two fans side by side. If you can't run two fans side by side, do push/pull. Are you using a shroud to duct the air from the fan to heatercore? Is your fan spaced away from the heatercore? Is the air through the heatercore as cold as possible or is it being heated by the rest of your system? These are all important issues. Improving flowrate of the air through the heatercore affects cooling at least as much as increasing the water flowrate.

Can you adjust the output of the power supply? If so you might want to turn it as low as it can go. (or 12V whichever is lower) You are very likely to get better CPU cooling with the pelt running at lower voltage.

Also, you need more airflow.

Sorry to hear the cheap supply wouldn't do the job.

And did I mention, you should try to up the airflow?

yeah I should of suggested more airflow first:beer:

dont go with the YS-Tech 131cfm fans unless you like loud fans, even at 7v I find them too loud. you can make some nice shouds out of plexiglass, very cheap and very easy to make if you find a way to cut the acrilic.

however I would like to point out that adding a second rad would cut back your noise alot sense you dont need as much airflow.

I've got 5 pelts running with one heater core. The standard auto heater cores can take up to about 900 watts before they start to lose efficiency.

Back