• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED [2014] What type of cooling do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What type of cooling do you use?

• Air Cooling

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Water Cooling (Custom Loops and AIO Units)

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've gone from water cooling the CPU and GPU, to just the CPU. The GPU cooler is more then capable of keeping temps down without added noise, not to mention no need to buy an expensive block for the video card to add it into the loop.

So would "Other" be a better answer for my current setup?

Maybe have a "Mixed" option, or even a separate poll for the cpu and gpu?

My main rig is WC and I love it. Regardless of what people say, air or water, its fun to try both, experiment, and get into the hobby of building. My recording rig and my HTPC are both still air cooed, but that will probably change soon!

I've gone from water cooling the CPU and GPU, to just the CPU. The GPU cooler is more then capable of keeping temps down without added noise, not to mention no need to buy an expensive block for the video card to add it into the loop.

So would "Other" be a better answer for my current setup?

Maybe have a "Mixed" option, or even a separate poll for the cpu and gpu?

Just vote based on your CPU's cooling. Other would be things like phase change, geothermal, water bongs, etc.

A "Mixed" option may spread the votes too thin, not sure. I think 99% or more of "Mixed" votes would be water on CPU and air on GPU. I don't think I've ever seen someone do air on the CPU and water on the GPU as a mixed setup because if someone has water on their GPU, they most likely have their CPU on water as well. So, I'm leaning towards just letting the CPU determine the vote.

Those are definitely some points to think about though.

I am using air and will keep using air for the time being. Water with the new i7 evidently does not give much more in the way of performance but on the AMD side it is almost necessary. Hell I even bought a case that is set up for water cooling expansion.

Still I really feel the PC will soon become an afterthought. The market is shrinking and we may find ourselves figuring out how to water cool mobile devices and OC game consoles.

Still I really feel the PC will soon become an afterthought. The market is shrinking and we may find ourselves figuring out how to water cool mobile devices and OC game consoles.

Not to go offtopic but had a discussion with a friend the other day and went the other way. I see game consoles shrinking over time as the PC takes over. I would list all my thoughts and insights (do not want to draw this offtopic) but surprised to see someone on this site that'd think that way.

"One [PC] to rule them all, One [PC] to find them; One [PC] to bring them all and in the [internet] bind them..."

Water cooled since 2009. Added the GPU to the loop in 2013. First time I've noticed this poll. :(

Apparently I joined the party on a down year. I really like the dB/performance ratio for water cooling. My dT is under 8 deg C most days and my Yates hardly ever spin faster than 1,000 rpm on a dT based fan curve. It'd be even quieter if I had the money for something like Gentle Typhoons.

Phenom II 1090T x 2, FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8350 all on air Cooler Master V6GT.
4P system Opteron 6276 on air Noctua NH-U9DO A3.
All run below 40C at max cpu load, FX-8120 OCed to 3.6 and still below 40C.

I run multiple rigs... and use both water and air cooling. My "current generation" play/hobby rig is running custom water... While I'm actually typing this post on an older "daily/email" setup which is running air.

I voted water because I guess if I was just running a single enthusiast/hobby setup... It most likely would be custom water.

Still using air since this VenX still gets decent temps, but the next round of upgrades I'll start looking at AIOs.

I just un-mounted my H100 and slapped my D14 back on. The peace of mind is there again. I was going to mount my TRUE, but I will give the D14 a fair shot before 1 of them gets sold :cool:

Back