• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2405fpw question to owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I asked this before but got no answer, in a middle of a thread.

When I plug the USB cable of the monitor into my computer, it automatically shows 4 new mass storage devices and gives them drive letters. They are of course all empty and just sit there without a function.

I called Dell, the support guy told me something is wrong with the USB port on the monitor and sent me a new one. However, the new one is also doing the same thing, on all 3 of my computers.

So I am just wondering if that is how its supposed to be, contrary to Dell support?! I have no problem with it of course, its just 4 extra drive letters, other then that the functionality is perfect, but I'd like it to work as it should, and am wondering if other people also get the mass storage devices (virtual drives).

I have the Dell driver installed, but it makes no diff whether its installed or not, in general, and in this specific case.

They are like any other card reader, as soon as you plug it into your usb port they show up. This is perfectly normal and not a broken monitor, but hey atleast you got a fresh new monitor. If you want to remove them just go into your hardware profile and disable them. Of course if you would ever want to use it you must re-enable it.

Thanx guys..

I called Dell basically to get the second monitor so that I could compare the two and choose the better one. Both have backlight bleed but in different sections, and I gotta say, even tho it was very noticable at the beginning, I think it really goes down over time because now I cannot even notice anymore, even tho it bothered me big time at the beginning.

I will be keeping the second one..

BTW, I've had both now for over 2 months, but Dell finally called me yesterday.. I was hoping they would forget, lol. So its goodbye to the second one.. Back to the 17" CRT which will be a serious pain, but at least its for my second computer which I use as a server mostly.

However, I do want to buy a LCD for the second system. Is the 20" widescreen Dell worth it? Should I be looking at something else (the 24" is too expensive, but the 20.1" (2105fpw?) is exactly the same in features, just smaller, and perfect I think). Maybe I should go for the 4:3 monitor (2001fpw?) for my second system, I don't know.

the new models are coming out in the next few weeks. there might be a coming sale on the current models, not sure though. keep an eye on ebay and/or dell outlet

I called Dell, the support guy told me something is wrong with the USB port on the monitor and sent me a new one.

Its amazing that this guy could not answer your question. :shrug:

As an extra note if you use a sony memory stick its goes in backwards with the label facing the rear of the PC. Thought mine was not working at first because they go in either way, and don't really click in place.

you gotta remember those dell tech supports have a troubleshooting matrix...if they can't find the exact problem they just kinda wing it and put it in an entirely wrong category or something and obviously won't solve the problem.

oh and nice try with keeping the second LCD :p

ajrettke, do you have a pic of your 2405fpw and the 2001fp side by side?! I am trying to decide which lcd to buy for my second computer. I will be using the 17" CRT for a second monitor on my main system, but I need a LCD for my second computer.

Is that 2001fp widescreen or full? Again, I am trying to decide whether to go with Dell again, but it has to be 20" or bigger..

Very nice, its pretty big too! That will be perfect. But which one is that, it looks WS to me?! But you say its the 2001fp? Isn't that the 4:3 model? I am leaning towards the 2005fpw, do you know what the diff between them is other then the aspect ratio? The 2005fpw is $150 cheaper right now then the 2001fp, so thats another factor.

Back