• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

30K RPM fan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I go with an RTX over a dremel. The old dremel I had would get bogged down if I tried to do any serious cutting or drilling with it. The RTX doesn't have that problem... it just cuts right through.

For some reason, though, it seems to go through cutting disks faster than the dremel.

Caffinehog said:
For some reason, though, it seems to go through cutting disks faster than the dremel.

You're probably just putting too much pressure on it.

dave4925 said:
you guys havent seriously tried this have you
Yea I tried this about a year ago. The fan fits perfectly in the collar of the RTX, but @ 20k RPMs one of the blades flew off and stuck in the wall! Oh man it was AWSOME! Then my mom was ****ed:)

I was playing with one outside, would go like 30-40ft, that was with 3/4 the power, I turned it all the way up and the shaft on the fan broke. It all a sudden just wound up really fast and did nothing:p

it was pretty fun while it lasted!

Jon

Toysrme said:
Actually It'd never develope enough thrust to go too far...

actually it would go pretty far wouldn't it, the fan is pulling itself off the thing, when it pops free, true the blades will slow, but the force that it used to pull itself free is now all released.

to prevent injury.. stand on one side of front door, stick that dremel/fan combo through the door way and close the door on your arm and then let it rip.... and hope u don't have any windows or neighbors near by :p

Somebody's either going to get hurt or in trouble for this one. *goes to get a sacrifical fan*

I have a 50x CD-ROM drive(now in my Pentium MMX, since I got a 16x DVD drive for my Pentium 4), and the disc spins at about 25k RPMs!
My friend Tom Stage says that he has seen 15k RPM fans in a dual Britney rackmount server!

Well now I need to get a scatter sheild for my computer as well as my car. Wouldn't you know it everything fast needs a scatter shield incase of detination.

Sink

Really gotta wonder about that... That cord weight is a lot more than I see that thing making thrust.

You guys are crazy. Wouldnt a fan with a higher pitch go further then one with a lower one? And when would you reach the weight to size ratio where a bigger fan wont go faster. I have a nice little 40mm fan with fins nearly straight up and down that i bet could get some hangtime

but yeh...it pushes ALOT of air. and ALOT of thrust. mine could prolly have moved a small wagon. eventually it would have gotten pretty fast. I was actually using mine for a while as a freezer unit. Long story. But, it cooled so well, that there was a constant flow of supercooled air over the dremel, and when I would take the dremel out, ice would form on the case. I finally got tired of the noise, and decided to put the stock cooler fan back on the freezer unit.

any body thing of a 30k electric motor with a 2-3 foot metal blade
(kinda like an attic fan but alot louder...)
i was helping rewire (electrically and putting in a network) a pawn shop and this guy had 2 of em going i mean across the allyway(aprox 20 feet) you felt as if you were in a windtunnel...

mounting for each fan was 4 quater inch bolts on some metal structure the pawn owner built

Wouldnt a fan with a higher pitch go further then one with a lower one?

Larger blades with less pitch give more acceleration and "bite" in to air, but at increased cost of drag towards forward movement and blade travel.

Shorter blades with higher pitch give less acceleration and "bite" into the air but higher top speed.

If you want to go striaght up, you need a large prop with less pitch.

Vice-versa if you want to go fast.

my dad works at b&d here in maryland. i showed him the picture and he got a kick out of it. he said with the weight and size of that "bit" youd be lucky to get 10k because the motor has barely any torque. it would create too much drag for the motor to handle. its built for speed not power. its cool though

Back