• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 gig or bust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
whoa batboy if you fried that motherboard.... will that be yoru first??? is it still covered underneath the warranty??? i was able to rma an old motherboard... after a bad flash... i dunno if they'll accept your motherboard.. though as it is pretty obvious ithappened due to o/cing...

Darryl_D said:
whoa batboy if you fried that motherboard.... will that be yoru first??? is it still covered underneath the warranty??? i was able to rma an old motherboard... after a bad flash... i dunno if they'll accept your motherboard.. though as it is pretty obvious ithappened due to o/cing...

I think it's wrong to RMA a part that you know you busted.
just my 2 cents

mica

No, I'm not going to RMA it. Not ethical... besides... it has all these heatsinks epoxied to it which sort of voided the warranty anyway. I would feel better if I actually could of hit 4 gig before this happened... sheesh. The weird thing is the board still works. I can get into Windows and do stuff. But, the harddrive light stays on, CPU-Z no longer works and I can't O/C as high now, so something is flakey.

Must be an electronic component on the mobo that is partially toasted. Guess I need to do a google search about harddrive lights staying on. DD, this is not the first motherboard I killed. I ruined a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP once trying to do a voltage mod. But, it is the first one that was fried just from overclocking... well ok... from extreme overclocking. I guess these Prescotts really do suck a lot of power and get hot.

Maybe I'll get an IC7 Max 3.

Last edited:
batboy have you tried swapping your HDD cable? or have you tried using another harddrive? if you use norton ghost, you can actually make an arsenal of ready to use boot drives :)..

Yes... I've tried another harddrive with a fresh reformat and Windows install. Yes, I have swapped cables around. About the only thing I haven't swapped out yet is the vid card. Guess I'll try that tonight as a last desperation attempt.

I was doing a google search and found out that one person having this trouble fixed it by installing a new power supply. Guess I can swap PS, but this is my Antec True Power 550w, I sure hope it's not bad.

Back