• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

56k Isp's... Getting the service you deserve!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalSiren

Registered
I currently have a 56k v.90 connection. I would upgrade to Dsl/cable but I just upgraded my computer a few months ago so I'm sorta outa cash right now.

My problem is my isp's routers are terrible at times. My usual pings I get on the first 2-3 hops are between 90-120ms. Then I get a ping of 600-1200ms starting on the 3rd or 4th hop. This don't just happen once or twice, but happens for like 10-20 min.s at least. Then the pings usualy go down to about 200 or so then hop back upto 800ms or so. Is this bad?? I don't run anything else but a firewall an virus scan, but those shouldn't effect the ping this much.

I was wondering if their was anything I could do to show them that their routers are bad?? Or if theirs some sorta trace route figures I can send to them. I have e-mailed them serveral time, but I think they are just deleting them now.:mad: I'am now using a program called UO route trace cuase its the only one I have.

thx 2 all who reply

I've been waiting 3 years for cable. I decided to buy a new computer with the money I was saving for cable then a month after I upgraded my pc I got a phone call sayin cable was rdy out here. :( An now I don't have the cash begin outa a job an all.

Lucky old you!

I would have to cough up £150 for adsl installation, £40 a month rental, and tie myself down to a 12 month contract........

That sucks even bigger time.....

Hey! Why not do what I'm doing just now!

My erstwhile employer, the IT section of a Major (Dutch based) oil company, has granted me the gift of broader than broadband access, right here at my desk!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

The problem is not so much with the routers, but with the phone lines in between them. Most phone companies only guarantee 28.8K or so, so if you're getting more than that you're lucky. Just because you own a 56K modem, doesn't mean that the phone company owes you 56K service.

Wa11y said:
The problem is not so much with the routers, but with the phone lines in between them. Most phone companies only guarantee 28.8K or so, so if you're getting more than that you're lucky. Just because you own a 56K modem, doesn't mean that the phone company owes you 56K service.
I connect at 52.2kb/sec. but i guess that's unfare because in only a 10 min (slow) walk to the phone station

MetalSiren said:
I've been waiting 3 years for cable. I decided to buy a new computer with the money I was saving for cable then a month after I upgraded my pc I got a phone call sayin cable was rdy out here. :( An now I don't have the cash begin outa a job an all.

At least they are offering it. Where I am at they do not even offer cable or DSL. At least I have good dial up.

Wa11y said:

HELL YEAH THEY DO!!!!!

Nowa days with all the money they make off their services they could afford to lay lines down for the entire U.S. plus half. Even laying down optical lines are cheaper.

In the UK they can give you any quality dial up service they want because the line was only meant for 'voice' communication and they get round the situation this way.

but hey what do I care, I have cable and Satellite broadband :D

Back